Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Its very dark in here

23 Dec 2012 1:29PM
Hi novice photographer here - trying to do indoor videos on my Fujifilm Finepix z900exr. When you look at the through the display panel the light seems OK - but as soon as the movie button is pressed it all goes very dark (as if someone turned out the lights!) The room was not bright - and had some spots lights - but I don't get how the playback turns out so dark, any ideas welcome.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

hobbo e2
3 892 2 England
23 Dec 2012 1:35PM
Might it be your Aperture setting?

I would tend to shoot video on Auto Aperture, the camera should cope with most lighting conditions then.

From the video experience I've had with my cameras, I honestly thought that once yu pressed the RED record button all went to Auto?

Anyone else ave ideas?

FUJI
brian1208 e2
11 10.6k 12 United Kingdom
23 Dec 2012 2:20PM
I've just had a look at the manual for your camera on-line where its says of "Recording Movies" on p67:
the color and brightness of the images may vary from that displayed before the recording begins"

As Hobbo rightly said, its all controlled automatically with your system so unfortunately, other than playing with the lighting in your room (try for an even light balance across the room?) you are stuck with what the camera gives you
cameracat e2
11 8.6k 61 Norfolk Island
23 Dec 2012 6:12PM
As the others have said, Only thing I can add is " ISO " setting, If you can change this and manually over ride the auto, It might help.

If changing the ISO is possible, Try ISO 800 or higher ( I can do this on my Nikon cameras, But no idea how much you can control a Fuji )

Wink
24 Dec 2012 12:57AM
Try shooting video with the window behind you. That should help with lighting issues.Wink
29 Dec 2012 11:43AM
OK thx for the comments - just for info this is what it came out like - room had a couple of spots - it was fine to see in - but the video as you can see comes out real dark - I did mess with the exposure adjustment feature - but didn't seem to make much difference - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dz0M7ZTk1nI
Gudgeon e2
7 128 England
29 Dec 2012 11:30PM
Looking at the video, the lights are central to the image and may well have fooled the metering system into underexposing so that the bright areas didn't appear burned out. Especially if it was on spot metering rather than matrix.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.