Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Ive made it!

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

KevSB
KevSB  101403 forum posts United Kingdom5 Constructive Critique Points
30 Aug 2013 - 4:22 PM

An interesting thought occurred to me after reading another post on some disgruntled member leaving, This happens so often and photographers jealousy is so rampant when someone's work gets recognised over someone else's. When do you decide you have made your objectives! Did you set out to achieve something! and possibly another few questions that I've not thought out yet.

As the starter of the thread ill explain myself, I went and bought a proper camera(om10) after looking through a photography magazine in a dentists waiting room(1972), work not always permitting I have about 20 years in that time. I cant remember having any ambitions but would dream of getting images in a magazine, Never achieved much and my best was receiving a editor award on here many years ago, since deleted and an invitation to have it in the epz book.
Then I discovered my passion for history and my photography has grown massively over the last few years, during the last 12 months alone I've had about 20 pictorial articles in hobby magazines and recently an invitation to do a 4 page spread in a major photography magazine about me and my photography, So much more that I wont bore you with details.

But with all this I don't rate my own photography and rate others so much over mine, so when do you decide you have reached as far as you are going , It also has a negative effect that sometime people now expect far to much of me and I get even more critical and selective.

So when do you decide that you have achieved! , this applies as much to a professional but the answer would obviously be on a different level.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
30 Aug 2013 - 4:22 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

pulsar69
pulsar69  101611 forum posts United Kingdom6 Constructive Critique Points
30 Aug 2013 - 4:53 PM

On a personal level i feel i have achieved every time i go out with the camera and come back with results i am pleased with, on a professional level I know I have achieved each time i get to the end of another wedding season looking at the improvements in my work and don't feel I will ever get to any point at which i cannot improve more.

Sometimes on EPZ you get disheartened or lose an argument sometimes you cant find the inspiration, but its a simple test of character to whether you stay and fight your corner or leave in a sulk expecting someone to miss you, which they wont Wink

keith selmes
30 Aug 2013 - 4:57 PM

Quote: When do you decide you have made your objectives!

Objectives ? We're supposed to have objectives ? Who knew ?

Quote: when do you decide you have reached as far as you are going

Just after you stop breathing ? Or not until they've actually screwed down the lid ?

KevSB
KevSB  101403 forum posts United Kingdom5 Constructive Critique Points
30 Aug 2013 - 5:13 PM

I believe most have some objective at the beginning no mater how they admit it or for get what they was, How many profiles do you read from new people" I want to be a professional" "I would like to make money from my photography eventually ".
Others its gaining a title like lrps and winning competitions

Last Modified By KevSB at 30 Aug 2013 - 5:14 PM
Britman
Britman  81669 forum posts England
30 Aug 2013 - 5:38 PM

Too many people try to please others before themselves. I have a ton a pictures I love but other dislike. Is that picture no less worthy of being on my wall. For sure there's a ton of 'objectives' I'd like to achieve but I'll do them in my own time.

robthecamman
30 Aug 2013 - 5:39 PM

take photos if others like em jolly good.Smile

Barr1e
Barr1e e2 Member 8Barr1e vcard United Kingdom
30 Aug 2013 - 5:42 PM

Quote: ---
- --Or not until they've actually screwed down the lid ?

Decisions, decisions - mmm what to do. Grin

Joking apart, I try hard every day to have a camera in hand and take at least something that appeals.

Also looking at pix on the site and learning something new (hopefully).

Regards. Barr1e

WhiteRose1
WhiteRose1 e2 Member 41021 forum postsWhiteRose1 vcard England132 Constructive Critique Points
30 Aug 2013 - 6:12 PM

To capture that 'once in a life time image' ... fame and fortune to follow. In the meantime I actually like getting immersed in the taking of images and occasionally some come out okay, some I actually think are quite good (for a week or so at any rate!).

Ade_Osman
Ade_Osman  114484 forum posts England36 Constructive Critique Points
30 Aug 2013 - 6:40 PM

Quote: So when do you decide that you have achieved! , this applies as much to a professional but the answer would obviously be on a different level.

When I'm happy with the final image, which if I'm honest isn't very often, but I've always been my own worst critic Sad Think that's why when someone tries to give me a slagging off on here with my work I more often than not agree with them Wink S'all water off a ducks back Wink

keith selmes
30 Aug 2013 - 8:19 PM

Quote: most have some objective at the beginning no mater how they admit it or for get what they was

I went for a long time without any camera. Then at the end of a course, I wanted some souvenir pictures - people would just use their mobile phone now - so I bought one. I had also been doing some hiking and wanted to get some pictures to show people where I'd been. That's all it was. Very ordinary. A few years and another strain injury later, I couldn't walk much for a while, so I started resting more often and taking more photos. That's really how it all started. In a nutshell, I used to do things, and then when I wasn't so fit I started photographing instead.

Also I suppose I was deliberately not having objectives or any kind of structured learning. When I began spending more time on photography, I had come through a long period of spare time assignments and exams, working to schedules set by other people and jumping through their hoops.
I worked my way further into photography simply by following my curiosity. I didn't want any kind of plan or schedule. The objective would have been to avoid having objectives!

cameracat
cameracat  108578 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
30 Aug 2013 - 9:31 PM

Quote: So when do you decide that you have achieved

LOL...Grin If you ever get to the stage that you think your work is " Absolutely Fabulous " The ailment is called " Delusional " at best, It is all downhill from there.

The real deal, Those who are their own worst critics that is, Strive to produce something really stellar, Even though many onlookers would bite their arms off to get something a fraction as good.

Makes no odds what the pursuit might be, Artists from all genres & truly talented individuals are rarely if ever happy with their work.

Throughout history many very talented/gifted people have been the victim of " Depression " , We have seen/read of many cases on this very site, Those I refer to are almost always our very best and most talented people.....!!!!!!!!

If you ever think you have made it to the pinnacle you seek, You stop learning because your inclined to believe the myth.

Onwards and upwards, Something new to learn every day and who knows, You might even please yourself one day, The fun part is the journey, Even if the goal is elusive/evasive.

As I often say, One of these days I might actually make a decent photograph, Until then keep trying.....Wink

clairewilliams
30 Aug 2013 - 9:35 PM

Once upon a time (which was actually only last year) as a new photographer my objective was to become professional, and make a living taking pictures. Now my goal is simply to carry on learning and improving hopefully walking away with better pictures each time.

To be honest a year go when I first brought my camera I seriously thought it'd only take me a year to master everything and get perfect shots every time. Well a year on and i know what all the buttons on my camera do, all the basics, and how to do this, that and the other, but I've also learned that knowing how to do something does not make me good at actually doing it, and having passion is not the same as talent. Now when a get an image I'm proud of I'm not sure if it was luck or judgement. But taking pictures makes me happy and i guess that's all that really matters in the end.

So I guess that's my new objective now, just to have fun with it and be happy.

capto
capto e2 Member 2938 forum postscapto vcard United Kingdom6 Constructive Critique Points
30 Aug 2013 - 11:04 PM

So glad that I don't need or want to earn cash from photography. I just have a nice day out, take some pics and if some are Ok I'm happy, if they are all rubbish I'm still happy.....I've had a nice day out. If someone else enjoys my efforts that's the icing on the cake.

Franticsmurf
31 Aug 2013 - 8:16 AM

There are so many different techniques, skills and subjects within the field of photography that I am confident I will never finally reach the 'end'. This is one of the great things about the hobby and a major appeal for me. There is always something new to learn, be it a new technique, how to get the best from a particular lens or the best way to tackle a new topic.

I've just started photographing birds, so in addition to the photographic side, I'm learning about bird behaviour, habitat etc. it's a bonus and photography is one of the few hobbies where you benefit directly from this 'extra curricula' knowledge.

I certainly consider being published (a few images) or selling (a few more images) a measure of success but its not the only one. Seeing a photograph on the screen or in print and getting that inner glow of satisfaction works for me too!

I have loads yet to learn. And I'm looking forward to years of trying to 'get there'.

Dave

779HOB
779HOB  2998 forum posts United Kingdom
31 Aug 2013 - 8:29 AM

I set myself objectives, I feel without them I will coast. Most are around publications. I've always had my eye on the Guardian, the reason being it was their photography in the 80s that inspired, if that's the right word, to really look at photography seriously. I got a photo in the Times yesterday so I'm getting closer. Once I am in the Guardian the objective will be to regularly contributing to them and quit my hated day job.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.