Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Japan Earthquake

KarenFB 8 4.3k 163 England
11 Mar 2011 7:54AM
I am watching the news with growing disbelief. A sense of dé ja vue.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

11 Mar 2011 8:22AM
Jeezus, just watching it on my phone.
digicammad 11 22.0k 37 United Kingdom
11 Mar 2011 8:29AM
The footage of that wave was something else. It was only when the buildings came into view that I realised the little white blob was actually a large boat being dragged along.

Are these earthquakes and tsunamis becoming much more regular or are they just being reported more?
11 Mar 2011 8:31AM
I've just seen the wave rushing across the country....Those poor, poor people. The cars gettiing swept of the bridges and roads....Sad
losbarbados 5 236 United Kingdom
11 Mar 2011 8:35AM

Quote:The footage of that wave was something else. It was only when the buildings came into view that I realised the little white blob was actually a large boat being dragged along.

It is really quite mesmerising isn't it. I can understand buildings and stuff being washed away, but when you see a flood sweeping through carrying a fire with it - it just doesn't seem logical
lobsterboy e2
10 14.2k 13 United Kingdom
11 Mar 2011 8:58AM

Quote: but when you see a flood sweeping through carrying a fire with it - it just doesn't seem logical

Earthquakes do a lot of their damage through secondary action - gas mains, oil storage and electricity cables get broken and fires get started.
We may well be looking at the remains of a petrol station being washed along there.

I work with Tokyo all the time, I'm not in work today - hope everyone is OK when I get to speak to them on Monday Sad
answersonapostcard e2
10 12.6k 15 United Kingdom
11 Mar 2011 9:09AM
I've been watching in total shock, totaling devasting Sad ..

I thought the world would change today but not for this reason, lets hope events elsewhere dont add more to the devastation we're witnessing today.
bfgstew 8 668 105 England
11 Mar 2011 9:17AM
Mother nature at her worst I fear.

Something to do with the moon being its closest to the Earth, happens every so often and usually some form of natural disaster follows.

Thoughts and prayers with those in Japan.
brian1208 e2
11 10.4k 12 United Kingdom
11 Mar 2011 9:29AM
We have good friends living just outside Tokyo so hope they are OK.

Japan has been due a major earthquake for some time

Quote:The last Big One was the Kanto earthquake of 1923, which claimed more than 140,000 lives. On average, there has been a devastating quake in the area every 69 years, and simple arithmetic tells the people of Tokyo that they are overdue for another.

Maybe this one will release the stresses that have been building up and prevent an even worse catastrophe?
brian1208 e2
11 10.4k 12 United Kingdom
11 Mar 2011 9:36AM
I've just had a look at a youtube video by someone in the earthquake, it lasted over 2.5 minutes OMG. I've been in a big tremor (7'ish) out there but that was only 30 secs to a minute and it scared the bejasus out of me- that must have been terrifying!
MrGoatsmilk 6 1.5k England
11 Mar 2011 10:01AM
Watching BBC news looks terrifying!

We moan how bad things are in the UK but we have it pretty good really.
Tonyd3 10 1.0k 15 United Kingdom
11 Mar 2011 11:03AM
This is really sad news and i see it has hit directly in Sendai, which is were Nikon produces its high end cameras such as the D3 series etc and the new models would also be produced here to as it is the flag ship factory.
Gaucho e2
12 2.3k 2 United Kingdom
11 Mar 2011 11:36AM
This makes for interesting reading considering what has happened in Japan. I was searching for details of the "supermoon", which will be on the 19th, for photo opportunities. I don't normally believe in such stuff, however....
Malcolm
KarenFB 8 4.3k 163 England
11 Mar 2011 11:44AM
It does make interesting reading (written on 1st March), we have 9 days to go yet...................makes you wonder what else may happen!
spaceman 10 5.2k 3 Wales
11 Mar 2011 12:00PM

Quote:This is really sad news and i see it has hit directly in Sendai, which is were Nikon produces its high end cameras such as the D3 series etc and the new models would also be produced here to as it is the flag ship factory.

Oh no. Damaged cameras.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.