Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Japan Earthquake

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

BarrieNeilPhotography

I notice that Nikon have just announced that all production has been suspended at their professional camera production facility (D3s, D3x and D700) which is only 5km from the coast at Sendai.

The loss of life is staggering and our minds can't really grasp numbers on this scale - similar to the Boxing Day tsunami a few years ago. I remember when I went to Krabi in Thailand that borders the Andaman Sea last year and a local lad we made friends with took me to a memorial garden for the local residents and those of nearby Phi-Phi island (95% of the population died) which was decimated. In the beautiful garden there was a small vase of flowers for each of the local people known to have died... it was shocking to see something tangible that put the numbers into a context my mind could grasp.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
14 Mar 2011 - 11:03 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed
14 Mar 2011 - 12:35 PM

I still can't grasp the scale of the situation.

Ache was bad enough but this...???

MrGoatsmilk
14 Mar 2011 - 12:43 PM

It's terrible I have been reading some updates on another forum from someone who is there in a rural area not far from the nuclear power plant I think 40km, his area has been evacuated but he has stayed. It's like the plot to a disaster/horror film to read them and really brings it home.

He gets internet every now and then but does have power and a generator for emergency but there is no petrol available in the area everything is closed.

Hugo
Hugo  9639 forum posts United Kingdom
14 Mar 2011 - 2:46 PM

Some "good" photos on these two links here. "Good" might be the wrong word for this situation.

Part 1
http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2011/03/massive_earthquake_hits_japan.html
Part 2
http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2011/03/japan_earthquake_aftermath.html

The power station issue, well that's not very clear cut in my mind. I find nuclear a bit scary, but then I hear that 2000 odd people die a year in coal mines in China alone so on that basis, nuclear is actually quite safe. Apart from the waste and so on left behind.... Obviously I hope they get it all sorted in Japan. I've not seen any photos of the power station post tidal wave, (and the secretive nature of the nuclear industry means we will probably never really know) but I suspect that if it's like the photos I've linked to above then the water plus the following explosions will mean that it's a pretty tough place to be right now. While the reactor might still be there - all the supporting infrastructure, access and control systems will be long gone making everything very difficult . Much respect to the guys working there to get it under control.... I'd have run away a long time ago....

Hugo
Hugo  9639 forum posts United Kingdom
14 Mar 2011 - 2:52 PM

To add, what has amazed me is the 'calm' showed on the media footage - people queuing for water, waiting for petrol, etc etc. Now the media only shows a small part of the picture, but if this was England, we'd have looting, gang warfare etc by now, - I think they had this in New Orleans?

brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110366 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
14 Mar 2011 - 3:18 PM

Quote: what has amazed me is the 'calm' showed

Its a characteristic of the Japanese people that they remain calm and polite under extreme stress and show great consideration toward each other. (this was explained to me by a Japanese colleague as a result of their having to live in close proximity to each other and being the only way to tolerate the lack of privacy resulting. Also, he told me, the Japanese are extremely emotional and have so to maintain tight control of their feelings - which gives the sense of outward calm)

They are amazing people for whom I developed enormous affection and respect over the many years I worked with them (I shared an office with several, one of whom has been a close family friend for over 20 years)

redhed17
redhed17  8663 forum posts England
14 Mar 2011 - 4:20 PM

It is a terrible disaster. The size is hard to comprehend. This site allows you to scroll a satellite image to see the before and after. It looks incredible from the satellite images but some of the vids and pics at ground level of building boats and vehicles in incredible abstract places are mind boggling.

It will affect the Japanese people for decades economically. No doubt it will affect Nikon being so close to the epicentre of the earthquake. They are a relatively small company who seemingly struggle to meet demand for products and stock.

I was looking at the BBC News earlier with my Mum, and watching the people queue in a quiet orderly manner got me thinking about America. I said to my Mum that if the same thing were to happen in California there would be many times the chaos and people would be looting left and right imho. I doubt the organisation is there as in Japan, either pre or post any natural disaster.

Finger crossed the San Andreas fault never lets go to anywhere near the same degree as the Japan earthquake.

collywobles
14 Mar 2011 - 4:35 PM

Hope this works

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2011/03/13/world/asia/satellite-photos-japan-...

The damage is unbelievable. my heart goes out to the Japanese people.

Last Modified By collywobles at 14 Mar 2011 - 4:38 PM
bmh1
bmh1 e2 Member 8571 forum postsbmh1 vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
14 Mar 2011 - 4:51 PM

I thought this was an interesting article about the nuclear plants and how well they've coped ...

brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110366 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
14 Mar 2011 - 5:03 PM

An interesting article as you say, the problem is that a hydrogen explosion + "Nuclear" = "DISASTER" in many peoples' minds

Coleslaw
Coleslaw e2 Member 913403 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
14 Mar 2011 - 6:55 PM

Corr, this video clip on BBC is rather scary, especially after 1 minute 30 sec. You see people trying to run away from the tsunami.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315626 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
14 Mar 2011 - 7:30 PM

Quote: The power station issue, well that's not very clear cut in my mind. I find nuclear a bit scary, but then I hear that 2000 odd people die a year in coal mines in China alone so on that basis, nuclear is actually quite safe

Very safe when you look at the bigger picture and nuclear medicine is a useful by-product that saves many, many lives every year.

StrayCat
StrayCat e2 Member 1014926 forum postsStrayCat vcard Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
14 Mar 2011 - 7:39 PM

While watching CNN last night, a Japanese official predicted 10,000 deaths in one town alone, even though the official count was 1700 for the country, with countless missing.

User_Removed
14 Mar 2011 - 9:03 PM

Are you kidding? An 8.9!!!

The scale works in ten step increments.... e.g. 8 is 10 times worse than 7... And 8.9 well...

And to have delayed/stop critical in 3+ nuclear reactors simultaneously for 3 days is nothing short of exemplary.

Last Modified By User_Removed at 14 Mar 2011 - 9:44 PM
chris.maddock
14 Mar 2011 - 9:27 PM

Quote: Same thing will happen to California, it might be 50 years' time, might be tomorrow.

In Phoenix they're looking forward to it - they'll have beachfront properties Grin

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.