Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Japan Earthquake

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

digicammad
digicammad  1121988 forum posts United Kingdom37 Constructive Critique Points
15 Mar 2011 - 8:34 AM

Jokes are okay (within reason) and happen after every disaster. What has really been brassing me off are the sickos, so called Christians among them, who have been shouting that the Japanese deserved this after the way they behaved in WW2!

For pity's sake, that was 70 years ago! You may as well say the Italians deserve Vesuvius to blow up because of what the Romans did 2000 years ago!

Ian

Last Modified By digicammad at 15 Mar 2011 - 8:34 AM
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
15 Mar 2011 - 8:34 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Coleslaw
Coleslaw e2 Member 913403 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
15 Mar 2011 - 8:40 AM

Well, Ian, there are some ignorant b*stards in China doing that as well, and they were celebrating! Make me feel ashamed.

BarrieNeilPhotography

Of course they didn't deserve this, nobody and it's absolutely appalling and I fear, we have only seen the beginning, but I think the issue with WW2 is that there are people alive today who have very very bitter memories of what the Japanese as a nation did in the name of the Emperor. I have a relative who was a Japanese POW (ages 20) and had an eye gouged out by a Japanese soldier because he dared to question an order he was given.

The Japanese as a nation have only very recently begun to educate their own people about the events of WW2 (previously they did not acknowledge anything had happened) and only recently made apologies for the events. Remember, 100,000 people were killed by the Japanese building the Burma railway alone and as I say, it IS very difficult for relatives to pretend it didn't happen.. it's all a little too recent.

The Japanese PM has infuriated many people by stating this is the worse event to befall his country since WW2. No doubt he is absolutely right but to mention this event in the context of a war his country entered by choice, for no other reason than their own selfish gain and who acted in such a barbaric manner that they made the SS look like boy scouts is more than a little foolish imo

China Cole, is another example. I'm not defending people celebrating which is dreadful but again, in comparative recent history, the Japanese brutalised the Chinese so whilst not condoning some people's response, we must try and understand why people feel that way. The Japanese cannot be surprised it is happening

Last Modified By BarrieNeilPhotography at 15 Mar 2011 - 8:50 AM
lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014125 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
15 Mar 2011 - 8:52 AM

Quote: Jokes are okay (within reason) and happen after every disaster. What has really been brassing me off are the sickos, so called Christians among them, who have been shouting that the Japanese deserved this after the way they behaved in WW2!

Or the vid on youtube of some american chritian fundamentalist girl, who claims it is all due to the power of prayer, to demonstrate how powerful god id. Seriously if killing thousands of people by causing a tsunami in a place where tsunamis are common & easily explainable is a "miracle" - you can keep your miracles.

digicammad
15 Mar 2011 - 8:53 AM

I agree that WW2 is still in living memory Barrie, but it was effectively 3 generations ago. Modern Japanese are a totally different people, they seem to have taken a lot of the best qualities of the old order and got rid of the bad. Why should they be punished for the sins of their great-grandparents?

Ian

BarrieNeilPhotography

There you go... orgainsed religion again.. don't get me started on that Grin

Last Modified By BarrieNeilPhotography at 15 Mar 2011 - 8:54 AM
Coleslaw
Coleslaw e2 Member 913403 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
15 Mar 2011 - 10:01 AM

Quote: China Cole, is another example. I'm not defending people celebrating which is dreadful but again, in comparative recent history, the Japanese brutalised the Chinese so whilst not condoning some people's response, we must try and understand why people feel that way. The Japanese cannot be surprised it is happening

I understand that very much, Barrie.
However, it is the young ignorant generation who were celebrating, not the generation who were involved in WW2.

User_Removed
15 Mar 2011 - 10:04 AM

This nuclear event is now huge. Just saying.

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014125 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
15 Mar 2011 - 10:12 AM

For a "safe" technology dealing with an entirely predicatable event..it dosn't seem to be faring too well.

JackAllTog
JackAllTog e2 Member 53577 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
15 Mar 2011 - 10:35 AM

Its an unbeleivable amount of loss and destruction inflicted on so many people that is so upsetting. The power of the water is beyond anything we might typically expect. We are used to using and controlling water, for water to just walk over peoples lives as if we were ants is both amazing and terrifying. My best wishes to those who survived and will have so many emotional and financial issues to deal with for years to come.

digicammad
15 Mar 2011 - 10:42 AM

Yes and they did predict it, they planned for it and were unlucky that a particular set of circumstances wrecked their plans.

When you consider the size of Japan, the population and their electricity needs (both private and industry) they really have no choice other than nuclear.

digicammad
15 Mar 2011 - 10:51 AM

I didn't say anything couldn't have been predicted. I said they thought they had it covered but they hadn't gone far enough.

Any form of modelling can only go so far and variables such as the exact co-ordinates of the quake, the size/speed of the wave, the things it had bounced off before hitting the plant, all have an effect.

lobsterboy
15 Mar 2011 - 11:05 AM

Quote: Yes and they did predict it, they planned for it and were unlucky that a particular set of circumstances wrecked their plans.

And there is the rub - if they can't deal with a predictable event, how likely is it that things are going to well when something they didn't predict happens.

digicammad
15 Mar 2011 - 11:06 AM

Chris did you deliberately miss out this bit...

Quote: Any form of modelling can only go so fa

...because it didn't fit in with your nice clean argument in which the world is perfect and people never make mistakes?

Would you rather the Japanese just live in a pre-electricity age? Did you read the earlier points about what could have happened if the plant had been built inland?

Last Modified By digicammad at 15 Mar 2011 - 11:08 AM
lobsterboy
15 Mar 2011 - 11:13 AM

Quote: because it didn't fit in with your nice clean argument in which the world is perfect and people never make mistakes?

I never said that - it is the nuclear industry who keep saying it is a safe technology and everything will fail safe. I KNOW people make mistakes, I KNOW that technologies only usually get safer due to accidents - thats why i am not convinced the risk is worth it.

Quote:
Would you rather the Japanese just live in a pre-electricity age?

Well I would have thought that living in a subduction zone, that geo-thermal might be worth investogating instead.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.