Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Japan Earthquake

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

digicammad
digicammad  1121988 forum posts United Kingdom37 Constructive Critique Points
15 Mar 2011 - 11:29 AM

Sorry Chris S, my comments were directed at Chris L, who had quoted a part of what I said.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
15 Mar 2011 - 11:29 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

digicammad
15 Mar 2011 - 11:30 AM

Quote: Well I would have thought that living in a subduction zone, that geo-thermal might be worth investogating instead.

They do

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014073 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
15 Mar 2011 - 11:34 AM

Quote: Sorry Chris S, my comments were directed at Chris L, who had quoted a part of what I said.

ahh - my bad.

digicammad
15 Mar 2011 - 12:48 PM

I've not changed my tune at all.

I'm really pleased for you that everything is so clear cut in your world, but unfortunately most of us live in the real world, where difficult decisions have to be made and happiness forever can not be guaranteed.

The Japanese built nuclear reactors to a spec they thought would withstand an earthquake, just like they build skyscrapers they think will withstand an earthquake. The skyscrapers stayed up, something in this particular set of circumstances meant the reactors didn't do so well. So they made a mistake with their calculations but they were unlucky that the circumstances caused it to be such an important mistake. Don't forget those plants will have been subjected to other earthquakes since they were built.

Mistakes and bad luck aren't mutually exclusive.

Ian

digicammad
15 Mar 2011 - 1:21 PM

If you mean did they toss a coin then I would certainly hope not. If instead you mean did they take a calculated risk then yes they almost certainly did. They may have genuinely believed their plans were totally earthquake proof but I'm willing to bet they weighed up the known benefits against the potential risk and decided it was worth it.

Isn't that how most decisions are made?

Can aircraft manufacturers absolutely guarantee that their planes can withstand any lightning strike?

Can we guarantee every time we get in the car that there isn't going to be a sudden and catastrophic failure of our brakes?

oll1e
oll1e e2 Member 755 forum postsoll1e vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
15 Mar 2011 - 1:24 PM

It just shows how fragile life is and that buildings etc can be wiped out in a moment!!!!!.
My thoughts and prayers are with those poor familys that have lost friends and loved ones.

digicammad
15 Mar 2011 - 1:46 PM

Chris when you build your planet can I come and live on it please. I'm sure that it will be lovely, the sun will always shine during the day, nothing bad will ever happen and absolutely everybody will do absolutely everything perfectly.

digicammad
15 Mar 2011 - 1:57 PM

Okay you win. I'm not going to bother discussing things any further when apparently all you are interested in doing is twisting words, taking things out of context and deliberately misinterpreting statements to fit your narrow view of how the world should spin.

Maddie
Maddie  92714 forum posts United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
15 Mar 2011 - 2:16 PM

What really caused the problem was that the power generators had been installed to withstand a wave height if 6mtrs; higher than any previously recorded - but not as it happened
, high enough.

Maddie
Maddie  92714 forum posts United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
15 Mar 2011 - 3:36 PM

My Japanese is not red hot but I was quoting the man in charge of the site in question. Doesn't alter the cause of their problems following the flood.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139392 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
15 Mar 2011 - 3:44 PM

Germany's thinking on nuclear power seems to have been affected by the Japanese disaster:

Article

digicammad
15 Mar 2011 - 3:47 PM

I wasn't aware Germany was a tsunami hotspot.

Coleslaw
Coleslaw e2 Member 913403 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
15 Mar 2011 - 4:03 PM

Quote: I wasn't aware Germany was a tsunami hotspot.

They are preparing for the worst, Ian, in case Chris criticizes their decision afterwards...Smile

digicammad
15 Mar 2011 - 4:08 PM

Heh heh Smile

redhed17
redhed17  8647 forum posts England
15 Mar 2011 - 5:29 PM

From what I have seen, the Japanese have been prepared for earthquakes as good, if not better, than anyone. The tsunami, that is another thing, I don't think you can plan for something that size and powerful in an economical and sensible way. They tried their best, and continue to do so. Yes, tsunamis can be a consequence of earthquakes, but there is only so much you can plan for.

Whether the Nuclear Powerstations in Japan have been designed well enough will come out in time. Yes, they failed, but we will find out in time if their design should have survived or whether this was just too large an event and beyond their design limits. And there are design limits for everything by the way, it is just what compromises you make in the design, especially in such an active tectonic region. There is always human error to be taken in to account, which can happen at any time, to anyone, in any country.

I can see why the Japanese Prime Minister has been comparing this event to the war. Some of the towns look like a Atomic Bomb has gone off, and the devastation is more widespread and affects a population almost twice what it was in 1945. The economic impact of this event could be felt for decades, just like after the war. If the Nuclear Powerstations take a turn for worst, the Asian region, or even the whole World could be affected to a larger or smaller degree.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.