Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Jealous Rant

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

ringyneck
ringyneck  7308 forum posts United Kingdom18 Constructive Critique Points
9 Feb 2010 - 11:27 AM

Coming from someone who never bothers the scorers ( award judges).........

There's now 4 different awards given and STILL we have if not the same ones but very similar ones awarded.
Some look like they have been shot all on the same day on multiple exposures so the images are only slightly different....all of them are brilliant BUT once the setting up and test shots have been done it's not a hard thing to achieve.

SO should a spark of originallity be taken into consideration when awarding these honours.
Surely the judges MUST get fed up of seeing the same ( albeit technically fantastic) shots over and over again...it might even help the award collectors to stretch themselves a bit with some different subjects.

If I am out of line for having this (friendly) rant please say so...or maybe even one person might even slightly have a similar view.

Thanks
keith

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
9 Feb 2010 - 11:27 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

MediumSizeUnavailable

Quote: once the setting up and test shots have been done it's not a hard thing to achieve

are you talking about certain genres then Keith?

KathyW
KathyW  111793 forum posts Norfolk Island12 Constructive Critique Points
9 Feb 2010 - 11:52 AM

I suppose it could be something to do with the fact that they are excellent photographs? Just had a look at the first pages of the galleries, and there is some quite unusual stuff in there - certainly many photographs I wouldn't have the skill to take, or have even thought of in the first place.... I certainly wouldn't say they are unoriginal.

Have you had your turn at being guest editor yet Keith? If not, that will be your chance to award the photos you think are the most deserving. Smile

ringyneck
9 Feb 2010 - 11:54 AM

Well there is a certain genre that has prompted me to start this thread and the clue is in my "multiple exposures" line.
To come right out and say specifically what my rant was about would be to attack certain persons where NO attacks were intended ....I just wanted to see if there was scope for a discussion along these lines.

thanks for your contribution
keith

smackmyfish
9 Feb 2010 - 11:55 AM

Not unless you spit it out.
Just say which genre and have done with it.

ripleysalien
9 Feb 2010 - 12:07 PM

Come on spill the beans..........

ringyneck
9 Feb 2010 - 12:13 PM

Oh god I'm about to get in trouble........a lot of the wildlife shots DO seem to me to be taken in this way.....or even just going back another day and sticking the tripod in the same holes and starting all over again.

This is the jealous part as I have not had a lot of success on the wildlife capturing front.But I keep trying different things to try and figure out how to get some shots.

Keith

smackmyfish
9 Feb 2010 - 12:17 PM

Quote: or even just going back another day and sticking the tripod in the same holes and starting all over again.

I reckon there is a few landscape photos taken this way too, the cheats

digicammad
digicammad  1121988 forum posts United Kingdom37 Constructive Critique Points
9 Feb 2010 - 12:20 PM

How about going on one of the wildlife meets which happen periodically, or PM'ing the owners of some of the photos of which you are jealous?

Overread
Overread  63806 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
9 Feb 2010 - 12:23 PM

Wait wait wait multiple exposure landscapes yes - but multiple exposure wildlife shots? Nope the best one can get there is having a good shot to start with and then editing the RAW twice (once for the darks and once for the whites) and then combining the end results to maximise the detail held in both areas.

IF people are getting multiple exposures of wildife then they must be either very sleepy animals or super fast FPS Wink

As for the awards - go for the guest editor setup if you feel there are shots you think deserve awards and are not getting their due.

Overread
Overread  63806 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
9 Feb 2010 - 12:25 PM

ps you're not the only one who is jealous - though I think you are a lot further along than you belive you are

MediumSizeUnavailable

there you go... I figured you were talking about landscapes, so I think it's good you cleared that up.

I don't know Keith; in a way what they do makes sense. perhaps they are merely trying to get a better shot than what they got thus far. Perhaps they are not entirely happy, and want to give it another shot. I don't know the first thing about wildlife photography, but sometimes I did the same in Bangkok with what I do. went back to the same place (a place where they box and play takraw), and photographed the same people from the exact same angle. But always hoping to get a better photo out of it. Some thing will always be different... the light... the action... a player wearing a cool black t-shirt instead of a corny pink one (ok, the latter may not apply to wildlife). composition may feel just a bit better this time. I suppose it isn't so different in wildlife. And sometimes I just went there when I didn't feel like emerging into the Bangkok hassle - as it was a reasonably peacefull place to shoot pictures. I suppose wildlife photographers have those days as well sometimes.

Last Modified By MediumSizeUnavailable at 9 Feb 2010 - 12:33 PM
kit-monster
kit-monster e2 Member 113685 forum postskit-monster vcard Singapore2 Constructive Critique Points
9 Feb 2010 - 12:31 PM

All sounds a bit to vague for me . . . so no idea what you're talking about so hard to comment.

You can always ask constructive questions in the gallery.

ringyneck
9 Feb 2010 - 12:38 PM

O.K. Might have got the wrong phrase....I have been at places where there have been a few other photers and as the bird appears and goes to his pre ordained perch off go the shutters ...for about 30 secs or so getting Multiple exposures of the bird doing this that and the other.The end result being birdy looking to right ...bit to the centre...bit to the left with many versions in between.
I know of this because I have hundreds on old files of totally crap shots because I simply don't have the correct (expensive) equipment.......I have had to attack it from a different angle and find ways of enticing the subjects nearer but it is a long journey and when (IF EVER) I achieve it, it will be a case of move along else I will end up with thousands of very good shots on old files....,,.and could then wait to pick up multiple awards for what are just variations on a theme.
Keith

MediumSizeUnavailable

http://www.ephotozine.com/photo/1428139

btw, I think Gerdoms has a quite original and different (and good) take on wildlife (be it in an urban environment)... and look how those fare :-(

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.