Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Jessops - Is it me ??

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
PJImage
PJImage  753 forum posts United Kingdom
17 Jun 2007 - 10:44 PM

Went to Jessops Lakeside today to purchase a Nikon SB800 Speedlight expecting to pay £269.00 as a maximum, the salesman looks on the computer, and informs me that it will be £330.00.
When I queried the price he checked again and stated price was correct.
I informed him price elswhere was some£60.00 cheaper I was told to go and purchase elswhere then.
In no uncertain terms
How many other people have they ripped off
Needless to say I will not be using Jessops again and how much longer is this sham of a photographic supplier going to stay in business.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
17 Jun 2007 - 10:44 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

agoreira
agoreira  106001 forum posts Wales
17 Jun 2007 - 10:47 PM

I think firstly I would take his advice, buy elsewhere, then I would follow up with a letter to head office with a link to this thread, they´ll be delighted with the free publicity!

Milvus
Milvus  6168 forum posts United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
17 Jun 2007 - 10:56 PM

The way he dealt with you was wrong. If they can't compete on price they need to be the best on service.

Jessops are never going to price competitive in the internet age. They are most likely tied into 25 year leases taken on shops when the internet didn't exist in the form it does today.

They are on a hiding to nothing really. Most people will hold and try the kit in the shop then go home and order it online.

I can't see them in business in 5 years time if the business model doesn't change.

cameracat
cameracat  108574 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
17 Jun 2007 - 11:06 PM

£330 quid for an SB800, Are they having a laugh, I have never seen it advertised at such a high price, Even when it first came out, The dearest places are around £280/290 max, But your idea of around £270 is not far out, Have seen it on offer for similar.

It's probably like thier memory cards CF in particular, they are still talking full retail from 18 months ago, Before the global drop in memory prices.

Ah well bye bye Jessops, was good while it lasted. Sad

cameracat
cameracat  108574 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
17 Jun 2007 - 11:08 PM

CHECK out the Ephotzine/Warehouse express shop, SB 800 = £ 259.99, Now thats more like it.

Smile

miptog
miptog  83529 forum posts United Kingdom61 Constructive Critique Points
17 Jun 2007 - 11:09 PM

I would really like to understand Jessops turn-a-round strategy.

In my case I asked for a Lens Price Match. Was adamantly told we dont do that. Then found a Jessops Price Match offer in one of the Monthly photo mags, and took it in the same store, and they price matched. However throughout I felt that they didn't really care.

It surely cannot survive as it is.

PJImage
PJImage  753 forum posts United Kingdom
17 Jun 2007 - 11:12 PM

I thought the guy had made a mistake but their website shows same price also .
Cant think what planet they are on.

Tooth
Tooth  95772 forum posts Ireland227 Constructive Critique Points
17 Jun 2007 - 11:18 PM

they're on pluto at the moment ie noone is quite sure about the status of it and whether it really is a planet or not.

Any dealimgs I'veever had with them have been entirely random, sometimes great, sometimes utterly incompetent, and i t does just seem completely random..

Stephen

JennB
JennB  760 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
17 Jun 2007 - 11:21 PM

To be fair the jessops in Wigan have been really good with me, each time I've bought stuff I've got them to price match warehouse express or other well known sites and they have done no prob. That man sounds so rude though at the one you went to PJimage. Not looking good for Jessops though lately is it.

justin c
justin c  104504 forum posts England36 Constructive Critique Points
17 Jun 2007 - 11:27 PM

They're a complete and utter joke IMO.
Out of interest I was looking at the price of a Canon 500mm f4 L I.S.
Best price was £3995,average price from many top retailers was just over the £4k mark.
Wait for it.......

Jessops price is £5679,absolutely ludicrous and daylight robbery.

KevinEllison
KevinEllison e2 Member 72417 forum postsKevinEllison vcard England
17 Jun 2007 - 11:58 PM

18 months ago bought my first DLSR from them - D50 with 18-70mm. Their price was good - hence going there...but I laughed aloud when they gave me a price for an SD card...they seem to have worsened though, my D80 didn't come from them....

miptog
miptog  83529 forum posts United Kingdom61 Constructive Critique Points
18 Jun 2007 - 12:15 AM

Quote: Date: 17/06/07: LONDON (Thomson Financial) - Jessops, the ailing camera retailer, could receive a takeover offer from Merchant Equity Partners, the private equity owner of furniture chain MFI, the Sunday Telegraph reported, citing unnamed sources.

The Telegraph said MEP has been mulling a bid for more than a month, and will take a strategic review due to be unveiled by Jessops this week into account before reaching a final decision.

The review is expected to include the closure of 80 stores, equivalent to a quarter of Jessops' estate, the paper added.

The review was launched in March after the group, hit by tough competition from supermarkets and internet retailers, was forced to issue its third profit warning in three months.

The Company is really in a mess. As far as I know it is the onlu high street store dedicated to Photography. It would be a shame to see it go, yet we all want something better from it.

Last Modified By miptog at 18 Jun 2007 - 12:15 AM
thearmsofvenusdemilo

Ripoff merchants.

pcheywood
pcheywood  81300 forum posts England
18 Jun 2007 - 12:23 AM

It's a real shame, the original company, Jessops of Leicester, though only a few outlets, was so much better, staffed with people who knew their stuff, and so well stocked!

Paul.

KevinEllison
KevinEllison e2 Member 72417 forum postsKevinEllison vcard England
18 Jun 2007 - 12:37 AM

Quote:
The Company is really in a mess. As far as I know it is the onlu high street store dedicated to Photography. It would be a shame to see it go, yet we all want something better from it.

Quite agree...if they fold where can we go now to get 'hands-on' before actually buying elsewhere...Wink but if their prices/customer treatment were better we wouldn't need to walk out the door..

Last Modified By KevinEllison at 18 Jun 2007 - 12:37 AM

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.