Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Jessops and Nikon 1

16 Jan 2012 9:17PM
I just had to write this down - completely surreal conversation in Jessops. Killing some time I thought I'd check out the Nikon 1.

I couldn't work out how to change the aperture or ISO in aperture-priority mode so asked the salesman. He played with the camera and in response to my questions about how to set the aperture in AP mode, said that this was different - it wasnt aperture priority, it was aperture priority auto, which was different (looking at the Nikon menu).

I then asked how to change the aperture and he played with the zoom ring and said that that was how you changed the aperture - by zooming in, the f-stop increases !!!! I pointed out why this might possibly be occurring and he seemed confused - pointing out it was aperture priority auto and that was why the aperture changed by zooming !!!!

If Nigel Tufnell ever wanted to sell cameras instead of shoes, he'd have fitted right in at Jessops (the Nikon 1 goes to 11).

I beat my head against the counter and left (never having found out how to change the ISO).

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

17 Jan 2012 9:02AM
I think many of us can tell similar stories about our experiences in 'Jessops'.
Its rare to find a salesperson who actually knows much about cameras and photography.

I know they get basic training but thats basically for sales pitch and at the end of the day, they are just box movers. I had a friend who worked in Jessops at their Heathrow branch and he told me he was taught to agree with the customer I.E. If the customer says he had read that a certain camera was the best he was to agree and then push the sale of that camera whether it was true or not, then try to add on a second lens and cleaning kit, you would be surprised how many people fell for these sales pitches. What Jessops won't do, well at least my local one won't do is sell you a body only.

One ploy used by sales people not just Jessops is to ask you "How are you today sir" to which I reply, its none of your business so don't ask me personal questions, I don't know you. Grumpy old man, you bet.

Pete
Carrera_c e2
5 271 3 United Kingdom
17 Jan 2012 9:09AM
That's pretty priceless. If I'm trying to kill time in a camera shop I usually head to Jacobs, at least they know a bit more.
User_Removed 5 4.6k 1 Scotland
17 Jan 2012 10:14AM

Quote:I think many of us can tell similar stories about our experiences in 'Jessops'.
Its rare to find a salesperson who actually knows much about cameras and photography.

I know they get basic training.....

....mainly in how to sell extended warranties!
17 Jan 2012 10:16AM
.....which raises a serious question:

Do the directors or shareholders of Jessops never visit this site and discover how rubbish their business is regarded? I would have thought that, if they knew, they might actually try to do something about it. Without remedial action, how long will they survive?
User_Removed 4 299 4 France
17 Jan 2012 10:34AM
best I had was in Plymouth a few years back...we dont take trade ins of digital cos the software now belongs to you!...I dont buy from idiots...we had a training session in the 60`s when I worked in the rag trade at Weaver to Wearer that said if a customer wants a made to measure suit, a raincoat and a tie he will usually ask to see ties first and if you screw it up...!
It works with high tec kit a treat...ok so im a grumpy old man...IVE EARNED IT!
thewilliam e2
6 4.9k
17 Jan 2012 10:42AM
Sales people are taught to ask, "how are you today" for two reasons.

Firstly it's an open question that's generally safe opener. Secondly a skilled salesperson can tweak the pitch according to how the the prospect is feeling - but I haven't met many of these in Jessops.
17 Jan 2012 12:25PM
When I first retired and set up a training agency, I used a freelance sales trainer to assist with parts of the courses. I will always remember two lines he always introduced early in his spiels:

1. First of all, you have to sell yourself; then you have to sell the company; finally you sell the product. (It seems the OP's experience suggests that salesperson fell at the first hurdle).

2. Remember that a satisfied customer might tell one or two other people about the good service he received from you. A dissatisfied customer will tell dozens. (And doesn't this thread just prove that.)

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.