Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Jessops Customer Service - NOT!

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

csurry
csurry  129230 forum posts92 Constructive Critique Points
12 May 2011 - 4:23 PM

OK, so I wanted a second D3s body after suffering some frustration when trying to use the D3s and D300s side-by-side.

Now I know that the supply is quite restricted at the moment, but Jessops had a few showing in various branches. I called in to the local branch but they were having trouble locating stock on the computer. So I called a not-so local branch (about 60 mile round trip) and asked if they could ship it to the local branch for me to buy.

Apparently not as they only have 5 in the company at the moment.

Just me that finds the lack of customer service on such an item rather strange, puzzling, bewildering. I'd think they should rather sell it than have it sat in store, but seems I am in a minority of one.

Don't normally complain about such things just seemed really bizarre!

Rant over.
Honest Grin

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
12 May 2011 - 4:23 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139544 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
12 May 2011 - 4:30 PM

A Jessops customer - wow! Welcome to EPZ... hope you don't feel too lonely on here! Grin

whipspeed
whipspeed e2 Member 104047 forum postswhipspeed vcard United Kingdom22 Constructive Critique Points
12 May 2011 - 4:33 PM

Try Jacobs They will get stock in from different stores for you.

Last Modified By whipspeed at 12 May 2011 - 4:33 PM
catgirl73
catgirl73  6142 forum posts United Kingdom
12 May 2011 - 4:36 PM

I went to a Jessops store once for photography advice, never again. The staff seemed to have no passion in photography whatsoever was hard enough for them to look me in the face and smile.

There are some great online photography stores if you give them a ring they are very helpful.

Don't forget to check on camerapricebuster.co.uk for the best prices on equipment.

geoffash26
geoffash26  102506 forum posts United Kingdom
12 May 2011 - 4:36 PM

Just checked with my local shop they sold their last one this mornng Sad

whipspeed
whipspeed e2 Member 104047 forum postswhipspeed vcard United Kingdom22 Constructive Critique Points
12 May 2011 - 4:45 PM

Last time I went to Jessops the sales assistant had never heard of a Canon 1D MkIII.

csurry
12 May 2011 - 4:48 PM

Hey in this situation you go with whomever has stock at a reasonable price, presuming of course that they want to make a sale.

Jacobs would also involve a more than 60 mile round trip to a store. Only local store are independants with no stock or Jessops. Who have stock but would rather keep it on the shelf than sell it to a customer!

Also Jessops were offering 10 months interest free credit, which always helps Wink

brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110400 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
12 May 2011 - 5:08 PM

We must have the last two helpful and knowledgeable Jessops stores in the country down here in Bournemouth! (they usually will do an inter-store transfer with 24 hours, without commitmnet to buy) Its a pain when they aren't though so I understand your frustration Cheryl

Overread
Overread  63806 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
12 May 2011 - 5:22 PM

Can't you get the shop to post it to you? I'm sure that service is available, least it was last time I got a load of stuff from them (oddly despite their bad press most of my gear actually came from them at a very competitive price

csurry
12 May 2011 - 5:45 PM

Nope they will not provide the stock that they do have for home delivery, collect at store is the only option. I just don't want to spend my last day off travelling over to Leicester! I have other things planned, but I have to pop in to Burton anyway so if they could have delivered it there, two birds, etc.

Maybe I just don't understand customer service. Or stores wanting to hold on to expnsive stock rather than sell it. And they wonder why they have such a poor reputation.

Perhaps time to give Calumet a go, but definitely no local store as Nottingham branch no longer there.

Overread
Overread  63806 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
12 May 2011 - 8:39 PM

I guess it might be a case of who gets the sale and commission on their tab at the end of the day - might be that the shop that has it wants the sale for them (and commission), but if they mail it to another they lose that sale as the transaction is finished at the other shop or some other silly internal political thing.

Honestly it sounds daft to me and I'd be tempted to raise the issue with higher powers at Jessopes. Exchanging stock within a chain store setup should be simple method and all that I've come across didn't have any problems at all with sending things from store to store.

csurry
12 May 2011 - 9:14 PM

I've only had issues with high price items. Many not wanting to send unless I agreed to buy, well in this case that would not have been a problem.

I suspect the commission thing is probably right. Hate to think that if I did drive to Leicester that they would refuse to sell it to me Wink. However, don't have time to go there this week, so will carry on looking elsewhere. Have been offered a secondhand D700, but not sure that will be any better as a backup than the D300s.

Ah well frustration has been vented. Just seems to be obvious to me why they struggle to sell much other than compacts and digital prints.

steve_p
steve_p  91098 forum posts England
12 May 2011 - 9:51 PM

Jessops staff don't get paid commission. Yes there are incentives but not enough to make much difference.
My local branch is always helpful in trying to obtain stuff from other stores- and if you call on Saturdays the 63 yr old Saturday boy is very enthusiastic!!

thewilliam
12 May 2011 - 11:12 PM

I've bought my Nikon kit from Grays of Westminster for the following reasons:-

The staff have comprehensive knowledge and know the meaning of customer service. Dealing with just one marque might help.

The stock has been properly sourced.

In the rare event of a problem, it'll be sorted out very quickly indeed, as I found with a D3 that misbehaved.

If avoidance of hassle means more than saving a few pounds, it becomes cost-effective.

Have you ever seen a complaint about Grays on any forum?

Last Modified By thewilliam at 12 May 2011 - 11:14 PM
roxpix
roxpix  112236 forum posts Scotland11 Constructive Critique Points
13 May 2011 - 8:22 AM

Wondering if Overread has nailed it, not so much with the commission but the sale through the till on this item will make a substantial diff at the end of the week (not to mention i guess the 10 months interest free is a product they’d like to sell too)

So it looks like a simple failure on their part with dealing with your objection as part of the whole ‘closing the sale’ thing that’s been poorly executed by Jessops

Not sure if the distance is all that relevant here. While I totally appreciate that you’ve other things to do but the store might be thinking that 60 miles return is not really a significant journey for this product (unless it’s round the M25 then every chance to be there and back in the time it takes to watch a movie)
Let’s face it when we’re busy even a 5 mile journey might be out the question, so for you in this instance it’s too far but on another day might you have been there & back as soon as you located the item thinking little of the distance

So yes,very poor on their part for not offering the service that led to a sale. Do let us know how you eventually get one if you don’t mind

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.