Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Jessops Customer Service - NOT!

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

dcash29
dcash29  81887 forum posts England
13 May 2011 - 8:54 AM

Another moan about Jessops Sad

Does anyone complain to the manager? If things arent then resolved do you go higher? If not why moan on here?
Personally i dont expect passion from someone being paid minimum wage, so when its received its nice to see.
Although what other high street stores serve you with passion? John Lewis perhaps? They get shares so its in their interest.

Basically its all down to the store manager and training. Take a trip to Comet or Currys where youre greeted with "Can i help you MATE"
If none of the above applies, go elsewhere. Ive had more good than bad experiences at Jessops

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
13 May 2011 - 8:54 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

csurry
csurry  129230 forum posts92 Constructive Critique Points
13 May 2011 - 9:10 AM

Why moan on here? Well, because I could and because I was so frustrated by the fact they were not in the least interested in making a sale. They did not ask why I wanted it sent to the other store, just a straight no because there are only five in the company. As if that should make any difference!

They could have said we have another customer interested in it, but short supply is not a good reason to not make a sale.

In the past I have had good service from Jessops, but this time a long way short. It may not seem a long trip but it would take 4-5 hours out of my day as opposed to a trip to another town that I have to make anyway, so extra time equals zero. Parking in Leicester is a nightmare especially if like me you go there about once every two to three years, such that often the parking you used last time has been closed!

If the stock had been in Nottingham I may have made the trip myself as there is an easily accessible park and ride.

Ah well, luckily I have some time available to find stock elsewhere.

Would I purchase from Grays, sure but they are only selling the camera in bundles at the moment with a lens and I don't need any of them. Generally I do purchase from Grays or Warehouse Express, sometimes Park, but Jessops had stock and normally they will ship to a closer store.

hornchurch
13 May 2011 - 9:30 AM

I used to work in retail left in 2004 when conditions and pay became intolerable. I worked for Dixons stores group a company decimated by moronic directors and a ceo that would think moronic is a badge of honour.

the head honcho of the dixons part of the group came up with a brilliant idea he moved the dixons stores from shopping centres where the rents were high to outside shopping centres where the rents were lower, but of course people are attracted to shopping centres and the footfall dropped off this finished Dixons some stores closed others were converted into currys digital, this fool then left and became ceo of Jessops.......yes they clearly did not take up any references, so he then did the opposite he opened up numerous jessops stores as a example 5 in leeds you could stand outside jessops in leeds and see 2 other stores with out a super telephoto lense .

this diluited the stores takings and now jessops is in financial difficulty..... at that time jessops ran recruitment adverts which said " we do not want photographic experts we want salespeople " which sums up the state of retail. this fool then left and is out there now working somewhere else.

when it comes to poor service put yourself in the staff shoes, you work in a store 8 hours a day, you work weekends, actualy you work most weekends as thats peak time, you work bank holidays for no extra pay all for the minimum wage...... forget commision the ceo can not pay himself 500k plus a year and still pay commision or bonuses..... any takers ???? come on you know you want to work there....... so now when you walk in a store your trying to find a enthusiastic member of staff with a good level of knowledge bearing in mind that there is little or no staff training.... that costs money so staff have to do this in there own time or not at all....the attitude of staff is governed in some ways by the customers.

I will give you a example, we used to fill out lengthy pro-forma forms for insurance claims, we would take a 10 pound deposit from the customer fill in this lengthy form which would take about 15 minutes when the customer got his cheque from the insurance company they would come back in and buy the item and have there deposit refunded..... I had a so called customer come in he had smashed his video camera ... filled in the form checked the spec of his video camera and wrote the equal on the form, he came back in a few days later just as we were closing the insurance company did not want to pay and suggested a much cheaper camera that did not match the spec, so I asked the customer to come back next day and I would write a letter explaining the difference, I did this in my own time and he collected the letter next day, a week later he came back in. he had his girlfriend with him as they came in she said " do not do it " to him..... I was soon to find out what she meant,he came upto me and said " I got the cheque how much discount are you going to give me " I replied " oh did they still not give you the full amount " ...... " oh yes but i want to make money out of this "...... feeling pretty annoyed I went to see the manager he said 7.5% discount I went back told him this he leant right into my face and laughed and said " you can kiss your sale goodbye and you know where to stick your deposit " at this point I nearly lost my job by vaulting the counter and re-educating this non customer with my fist, nowdays people will go into a store look feel and touch and gleam information from staff then walk out and buy the item online...... I can see in 10 years time there being no retail shops selling cameras .

dcash29
13 May 2011 - 9:31 AM

What they should have told you and im surprised you dont know is that they dont offer a store to store delivery service.
So if you wish to purchase from them you have to make the trip. Also they cant post one to you either, as they dont have any in stock.

Why not complain and fill in HERE

Well summed up David

Last Modified By dcash29 at 13 May 2011 - 9:36 AM
csurry
13 May 2011 - 9:35 AM

Well in that case the local store should not have suggested that it was possible!

So if their staff don't know the policy how am I expected to?

dcash29
13 May 2011 - 9:37 AM

Quote: So if their staff don't know the policy how am I expected to?

Ive just telephoned their sales line and found out

csurry
13 May 2011 - 9:39 AM

Well they could have said that when they said no, rather than saying no because there are only five in the company!

As I said the local store told me it was possible, so why would I phone the sales line? I phoned the branch with stock!

dcash29
13 May 2011 - 9:47 AM

Like i said before did you pursue it and speak to the manager?

roxpix
roxpix  102236 forum posts Scotland11 Constructive Critique Points
13 May 2011 - 9:51 AM

Hornchurch I take it this is just a joke. Itíll work better with a wee Grin just in case anyone thinks this is true

dcash29
13 May 2011 - 9:53 AM

Quote: As I said the local store told me it was possible

where did you mention that?

dcash29
13 May 2011 - 10:07 AM

Jacobs only has one unit in the company as well. It would be Monday/Tuesday delivered to Derby thats if it hasnt gone already.Wink

hornchurch
13 May 2011 - 10:27 AM

roxpix Its not a joke....... and it is true....... glad to clear that up for you. actually would this sound better........ jessops staff earn 25k a year training is superb staff are motivated to go that extra mile...... the dixons share price did not peak at £3.40 in 1988 and is not 15p today hope you feel better after reading that .

roxpix
13 May 2011 - 11:08 AM

Quote: jessops staff earn 25k a year training is superb staff are motivated to go that extra mile...... the dixons share price did not peak at £3.40 in 1988 and is not 15p today hope you feel better after reading that

Phew thatís a relief Tongue

Although the job at Jessops doesnít really warrant a 25k salary (more than nurse or fireman!!), youíll get from training what you put into it & motivation comes from the individual, itís not issued with the name badge
The Dixons group turnover was 8.5 billion last year employing 10ís thousands round the world

As itís a true story & obviously I donít know you so only have that post to go by, but it does come across as if you were a part of the problem but I could easily be wrong

Sorry this is a little off topic

Last Modified By roxpix at 13 May 2011 - 11:08 AM
hornchurch
13 May 2011 - 11:33 AM

You are correct you do not know me.....turnover means nothing if you are not making enough profit to pay the interest on bank loans........ turnover and profit are very different as for myself being part of the problem..... Grin not at all I was one of many that pointed out things that were wrong but the pen pushers with 3 hands..... yes one to push the pen the other 2 to cover there ears did not listen...... I started in 1988 left in 2004 and 1988 was the same time that the new ceo started cutting costs cutting commission year after year yet paying himself 600k a year..... increasing this to 900k a year while adding in one year 2 million pounds into his pension pot...... another example which I am sure you will not believe.... the store I worked in re-located moving from a 5000 ft to a 20000 ft store...... I noticed that the company website had not updated to show the new address, I phoned head office and was told it would be corrected It took 6 months..... while people still went to the old address and there was a competitor on the old site so they did not go hunting for us they bought from a rival retailer.

when the super 20k store opened nothing happened no customers in fact nobody knew where we were.... a mile away is one of the busiestunctions in essex I noticed a empty bill board so again i tried with this... the stores manager contacted head office they found it wuld be 8k for 2 months and they did not have the budget to pay..... the store was losing more than 8k every 2 hours....... so it ended with a 20k store that took no more than the 5k store with higher rent more staff......... turnover means nothing margins and profits mean everything...... I guess you will come back and say I was the problem Or I Made this up .

roxpix
13 May 2011 - 12:21 PM

hornchurch I didnít mean to cause any offence I just couldnít envisage the reality of someone vaulting the counter to physically confront a customer with their fist !!!

perhaps I misread your post, did you nearly lose your job by thinking about doing this or by actually doing it & then keeping your job?

I re-read what you posted to see if Iíve picked this up all wrong but isnít it just a matter of perspective?

'when it comes to poor service put yourself in the staff shoes, (ok lets do that) you work in a store 8 hours a day, (you only work 8 hours a day in a clean dry warm, well lit environment typically with good public transport close by) you work weekends, actualy you work most weekends as thats peak time, (you get to have your days off during the week when itís much easier to do personal stuff & you donít miss out on commission at peak times) you work bank holidays for no extra pay (you get alternate days off so you can avoid the motorway Qís on bank holidays) all for the minimum wage...... (you get a guaranteed minimum wage from day 1 which will rise as you progress) forget commision (oh & donít forget the commission) the ceo can not pay himself 500k plus a year and still pay commision or bonuses..... any takers ???? come on you know you want to work there...... (been there done that really enjoyed it, thanks) . so now when you walk in a store your trying to find a enthusiastic member of staff with a good level of knowledge bearing in mind that there is little or no staff training.... (what training did you want & not get? Vaulting perhaps) that costs money so staff have to do this in there own time or not at all....the attitude of staff is governed in some ways by the customers' (sadly this is true unless you get a member of staff who knew & accepted the salary, hours of work, shift pattern before they took the job & who is happy to motivate themselves & take an interest in the products they are selling & the best techniques to do this)

Maybe Iím just having a glass half full day but it seems the things that made it intolerable for you might be perfik for other folks

Last Modified By roxpix at 13 May 2011 - 12:25 PM

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.