Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Jessops ditch Pentax cameras.

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

rossd
rossd  111061 forum posts England
31 Jan 2009 - 10:22 AM

I read in todays AP that Jessops are no longer going to sell Pentax cameras because, to quote the Jessops chairman, ' the products were not the most compelling in terms of functionality and price' .
A sad day indeed but no doubt a sign of the times.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
31 Jan 2009 - 10:22 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

kaybee
kaybee  103794 forum posts Scotland24 Constructive Critique Points
31 Jan 2009 - 10:42 AM

There is another thread about this already .....................However - further to that, the Jessops shops in Livingston and Edinburgh seem to be emptying their shelves and even geting rid of display cabinets. It looks almost like they are gradually clearing the shops. Closing down soon?

rossd
rossd  111061 forum posts England
31 Jan 2009 - 10:52 AM

Quote: There is another thread about this already

Must admit I did a search before posting but didn't see any other references.

sidaorb
sidaorb  83857 forum posts England2 Constructive Critique Points
31 Jan 2009 - 10:56 AM

Quote: There is another thread about this already .....................However - further to that, the Jessops shops in Livingston and Edinburgh seem to be emptying their shelves and even geting rid of display cabinets. It looks almost like they are gradually clearing the shops. Closing down soon?

Considering their overheads completely wiped out last years pre-tax profits, I wouldnt be surprised to see the closure of some of the retail outlets. Sad

User_Removed
31 Jan 2009 - 2:12 PM

Quote: Considering their overheads completely wiped out last years pre-tax profits,...

...I'm staggered the Shareholders are allowing the obviously incompetent Board to remain in place.

franken
franken e2 Member 113098 forum postsfranken vcard Wales4 Constructive Critique Points
31 Jan 2009 - 2:36 PM

More info re Jessops on the AP website, dated 30-01-09.
Possibly further store closures.

Ken

stolzy
stolzy  83753 forum posts7 Constructive Critique Points
31 Jan 2009 - 2:54 PM

They're doomed, I tell you, doomed!

strawman
strawman  1022006 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
31 Jan 2009 - 2:55 PM

I hope not, it is so fashionable to slag Jessop's off, but the store I use is staffed by polite and helpful people. And do we want yet another closed shop in the high street?

Last Modified By strawman at 31 Jan 2009 - 2:57 PM
Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139395 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
31 Jan 2009 - 3:27 PM

Quote: And do we want yet another closed shop in the high street?

Don't worry it will be replaced by yet another coffee shop or, these days, one selling Eastern European food and drink. Smile

..........hmmm! Sad

answersonapostcard
answersonapostcard Site Moderator 1012596 forum postsanswersonapostcard vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
31 Jan 2009 - 3:30 PM

Quote: Don't worry it will be replaced by yet another coffee shop

well it might not be starbucksSad

high street will be a very cold place if the economy does get a breath of life soon...

Last Modified By answersonapostcard at 31 Jan 2009 - 3:31 PM
froggma
froggma  51 Constructive Critique Points
31 Jan 2009 - 3:43 PM

Its not fashionable to slag Jessop's off at all, I have read a few posts about jessop's but this is my first contribution on the subject. The demise of jessop's is the result of years and years of an organisation that does not give any consideration to customer satisfaction. The board would do well to read the critcism of their company on forums such as this, use it as a cutomer satisfaction survey and put measures in place to correct the problems. At the end of the day, recession or not, if a company does not delight its customers then they will not return. Jessop's are not competetive in its pricing of products and it does not, in general, have helpful and informed staff. I don't mind paying a little extra if the service I get is exceptional. The fault lies firmly and squarely with the senior management, they have not developed as a company to compete with online commercial activities that are now prevalent in business, they have not continually improved the service they offer and, in my experience, they have employed that generic species of salesperson that are purely a human device for taking the money, wrapping the goods up and then continue to chew gum waiting for 5.00 o'clock and hometime, with very little interest in what they sell, thousands of these can be found in shopping centres throughout the UK. I suggest Jessop's board take a trip to SRS Microsystems to learn a little about business excellence in the retail photographic market.

Martin

Last Modified By froggma at 31 Jan 2009 - 3:44 PM
Vespa
Vespa  777 forum posts United Kingdom
31 Jan 2009 - 3:49 PM

Sadly Jessops has been going downhil for several years and I doubt from what I have read in todays papers if they have long to go.

stolzy
stolzy  83753 forum posts7 Constructive Critique Points
31 Jan 2009 - 3:56 PM

They have all the signs of a doomed chain, particularly the too-rapid expansion in times where there were plenty of funds available for aquiring their local competitors.
I hope they do remain (although I almost never buy anything in them), but I can't see how thay can compete against internet sales in a falling (failing?) UK photo market.
If they had invested in developing their staff instead of snapping up every photo retail outlet they could get their hands on they might have a bit more loyalty among their customers than they do now.

Last Modified By stolzy at 31 Jan 2009 - 3:56 PM
Briwooly
Briwooly  8452 forum posts England5 Constructive Critique Points
31 Jan 2009 - 4:00 PM

Quote: Don't worry it will be replaced by yet another coffee shop or, these days, one selling Eastern European food and drink.

Or could it be a sandwich Wink Smile

Brian..........................................

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139395 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
31 Jan 2009 - 4:10 PM

Quote: Or could it be a sandwich

They seem to call their products "subs". I've never quite worked out why this is.............. subsistence, maybe? Wink

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.