Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Jessops ditch Pentax cameras.

GreyMoonRising 6 1.5k 1
31 Jan 2009 4:19PM
Sub-standard?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Snapper 9 3.8k 3 United States Outlying Islands
31 Jan 2009 4:21PM

Quote:Quote:Or could it be a sandwich They seem to call their products "subs". I've never quite worked out why this is.............. subsistence, maybe?

Submarine, I'm afraid. Came from the US of course!
RogBrown 7 3.0k 10 England
31 Jan 2009 4:38PM
Just as an aside here, I remember Jessops from the 70s when I used to run a photographic shop in Burton & they were in Leicester. They used to sell stuff cheaper than I could buy it, so I used to buy hardware from them. The shop was so small that sometimes the latest delivery was sitting out on the pavement waiting to be unpacked! Sic transit gloria mundi. Or was it Tuesday?
ZenTog 12 7.9k 1 England
31 Jan 2009 4:56PM
well jessops have just lost my trade, after using them for over 5 years, now been told they cant hand do my prints anymore, got to wait at the kiosks , and no more discount, so after spending between 5-10k per year with, no longer is my trade welcome, so bollex to them, the writing is on the wall. lose your regular customers and the others soon follow. I am going to use the local print shop, that way more of the money i hand over remainds in the county
spaceman 10 5.2k 3 Wales
31 Jan 2009 5:19PM

Quote:bollex

Is that an imitation Rolex?
Carabosse e2
11 39.5k 269 England
31 Jan 2009 5:30PM
No, it's a movie camera . Smile
rossd 11 1.1k England
31 Jan 2009 7:11PM
Everybody seems to be concentrating on Jessops. For myself, the important thing is that Pentax have lost a major retailer which could hasten the demise of the brand.
Carabosse e2
11 39.5k 269 England
31 Jan 2009 8:50PM

Quote:Pentax have lost a major retailer which could hasten the demise of the brand.

Pentax has been going for 90 years. I doubt the Jessops non-stocking of the brand will make a great deal of difference worldwide!
keith selmes 11 7.1k 1 United Kingdom
31 Jan 2009 10:48PM
Jessops don't stock Hasselblad or Leica either.
stolzy 9 3.8k 7
31 Jan 2009 11:19PM

Quote:For myself, the important thing is that Pentax have lost a major retailer which could hasten the demise of the brand

I doubt Jessops would even register on Pentax's radar in the great global scheme of things
StrayCat e2
10 15.0k 2 Canada
1 Feb 2009 2:07AM
Jessops Probably didn't even sell half what Pentax produce.
rossd 11 1.1k England
1 Feb 2009 9:36AM

Quote:I doubt the Jessops non-stocking of the brand will make a great deal of difference worldwide!

Quote:Jessops Probably didn't even sell half what Pentax produce.

I take your point. However it's the implications and possible effect on prospective buyers which does the damage. For instance, if I were considering buying a Pentax camera ( not necessarily from Jessops) and read those comments (as reported in AP and no doubt all the other photo mags as well) I may just be put off. Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking Pentax (one of my earliest cameras was a very s/h S1a) but with manufacturers like Sony upping the stakes (as well as the pixel count!) and challenging the other two brands (can't remember the names at the moment!) it's going to be tough.

By the way, didn't there used to be a pro tog on here who was an avid Pentax user ? Think he was based in the US - seemed to always fall out with some of the tribal elders on the site.
Carabosse e2
11 39.5k 269 England
1 Feb 2009 2:30PM

Quote:didn't there used to be a pro tog on here who was an avid Pentax user ?

Oh he's still here - and logged in about an hour ago. Smile

Would be interesting to hear his take!
keith selmes 11 7.1k 1 United Kingdom
1 Feb 2009 4:43PM
Benji ? I don't think they have Jessops in France.
Carabosse e2
11 39.5k 269 England
1 Feb 2009 4:49PM
Exactly my point! Smile

Jessops are not exactly a multinational. Lol!

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.