Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Jessops ditch Pentax cameras.

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

GreyMoonRising
31 Jan 2009 - 4:19 PM

Sub-standard?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
31 Jan 2009 - 4:19 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Snapper
Snapper  93753 forum posts United States Minor Outlying Islands3 Constructive Critique Points
31 Jan 2009 - 4:21 PM

Quote: Quote:Or could it be a sandwich They seem to call their products "subs". I've never quite worked out why this is.............. subsistence, maybe?

Submarine, I'm afraid. Came from the US of course!

RogBrown
RogBrown  73006 forum posts England10 Constructive Critique Points
31 Jan 2009 - 4:38 PM

Just as an aside here, I remember Jessops from the 70s when I used to run a photographic shop in Burton & they were in Leicester. They used to sell stuff cheaper than I could buy it, so I used to buy hardware from them. The shop was so small that sometimes the latest delivery was sitting out on the pavement waiting to be unpacked! Sic transit gloria mundi. Or was it Tuesday?

ZenTog
ZenTog  127875 forum posts England1 Constructive Critique Points
31 Jan 2009 - 4:56 PM

well jessops have just lost my trade, after using them for over 5 years, now been told they cant hand do my prints anymore, got to wait at the kiosks , and no more discount, so after spending between 5-10k per year with, no longer is my trade welcome, so bollex to them, the writing is on the wall. lose your regular customers and the others soon follow. I am going to use the local print shop, that way more of the money i hand over remainds in the county

spaceman
spaceman  105166 forum posts Wales3 Constructive Critique Points
31 Jan 2009 - 5:19 PM

Quote: bollex

Is that an imitation Rolex?

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139503 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
31 Jan 2009 - 5:30 PM

No, it's a movie camera. Smile

rossd
rossd  111061 forum posts England
31 Jan 2009 - 7:11 PM

Everybody seems to be concentrating on Jessops. For myself, the important thing is that Pentax have lost a major retailer which could hasten the demise of the brand.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139503 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
31 Jan 2009 - 8:50 PM

Quote: Pentax have lost a major retailer which could hasten the demise of the brand.

Pentax has been going for 90 years. I doubt the Jessops non-stocking of the brand will make a great deal of difference worldwide!

keith selmes
31 Jan 2009 - 10:48 PM

Jessops don't stock Hasselblad or Leica either.

stolzy
stolzy  83753 forum posts7 Constructive Critique Points
31 Jan 2009 - 11:19 PM

Quote: For myself, the important thing is that Pentax have lost a major retailer which could hasten the demise of the brand

I doubt Jessops would even register on Pentax's radar in the great global scheme of things

StrayCat
StrayCat e2 Member 1014859 forum postsStrayCat vcard Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
1 Feb 2009 - 2:07 AM

Jessops Probably didn't even sell half what Pentax produce.

rossd
rossd  111061 forum posts England
1 Feb 2009 - 9:36 AM

Quote: I doubt the Jessops non-stocking of the brand will make a great deal of difference worldwide!

Quote: Jessops Probably didn't even sell half what Pentax produce.

I take your point. However it's the implications and possible effect on prospective buyers which does the damage. For instance, if I were considering buying a Pentax camera ( not necessarily from Jessops) and read those comments (as reported in AP and no doubt all the other photo mags as well) I may just be put off. Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking Pentax (one of my earliest cameras was a very s/h S1a) but with manufacturers like Sony upping the stakes (as well as the pixel count!) and challenging the other two brands (can't remember the names at the moment!) it's going to be tough.

By the way, didn't there used to be a pro tog on here who was an avid Pentax user ? Think he was based in the US - seemed to always fall out with some of the tribal elders on the site.

Carabosse
1 Feb 2009 - 2:30 PM

Quote: didn't there used to be a pro tog on here who was an avid Pentax user ?

Oh he's still here - and logged in about an hour ago. Smile

Would be interesting to hear his take!

keith selmes
1 Feb 2009 - 4:43 PM

Benji ? I don't think they have Jessops in France.

Carabosse
1 Feb 2009 - 4:49 PM

Exactly my point! Smile

Jessops are not exactly a multinational. Lol!

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.