Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Jessops ditch Pentax cameras.

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Bowline
Bowline  728 forum posts England
16 Feb 2009 - 8:14 PM

Quote: The demise of jessop's is the result of years and years of an organisation that does not give any consideration to customer satisfaction. I suggest Jessop's board take a trip to SRS Microsystems to learn a little about business excellence in the retail photographic market.

Martin

Precisely
AJ Smile

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
16 Feb 2009 - 8:14 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

bazmac26
bazmac26  5
3 Mar 2009 - 10:13 PM

I am in the process of buying my 1st digital SLR, moving up from a bridge camera. Finding it difficult to decide between Nikon D90, Canon EOS 40D and Pentax K20D I've been into a couple of Jessops branches for advice. The sales advisors past an opinion that Pentax would stop selling cameras within the next year or so due to their inability to compete with the brand leaders. This would suggest any after sales service/warranties would ineffective. After implying that, they then tried to persuade me to choose either Sony, Olympus or Nikon models.
I'm not convinced the opinions expressed about Pentax by Jessops staff are accurate, as I haven't heard anything else to confirm them. Has anyone else?

strawman
strawman  1022006 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
3 Mar 2009 - 10:33 PM

Here be monsters, Canon and Nikon have been trading who sells most in various markets, and between them account for in the region of 70 to 80% of dSLR sales depending on who's numbers you read. So that is not a lot for the rest.

Sony have sprung up the ratings pushing Pentax and Olympus aside, and they are in the 10 to 15% of sales, but you get the feeling that they are probably going to grow more.

But the dSLR market was growing fast, so it could be Pentax and Olympus are happy where they are in terms of numbers of camera sold. Pentax are reputed to have some new models coming soon, and Olympus are just rolling out new cameras. Or it could be that Pentax and Olympus are at risk of falling in this market.

Just like those who say Sony have bought market share but cannot continue to subsidise camera like they have. Who knows what is true. Pentax have admitted they took their eye off the SLR ball and intend to rectify that.

From behaviour and pricing I think Jessops have a lot of Sony stock to shift, and so are pushing them hard. Canon have made statements about placing themselves above certain markets they do not view as viable. Nikon have placed themselves well with their medium to upper market cameras. i.e .those two look like they will not enter a price war, but I doubt they can let Sony take all the entry dSLR's

The problem, you could make a story up about all the brands.

Macca35
Macca35  5
16 Aug 2009 - 11:15 AM

I haven't crossed the threshold of a Jessops store for over a year now, and wouldn't bother with them ever again. I just didn't like anything about their places.

I'm sticking with using Wilkinsons and Mathers. These guys can either supply or special order most Pentax or Pentax-fit items, and the service I've received from both is truly excellent.

If Pentax was going to leave the DSLR market, then the release of the K7 certainly would't give that story any credibility.

keithknight
16 Aug 2009 - 3:23 PM

Those who are as ancient as me will remember the days when you could walk into any Dixons store and buy darkroom equipment and a full range of chemicals and paper, they moved away from that into selling TVs.

Jessops came in, expanded with money from people coming from investment markets rather than keeping photographic enthusiasts at the top and they then had to go for the now sale, rather than building up relationships with customers. The stores are very variable, get an enthusiast as manager and he will recruit people who actually take photographs outside the store (and not just snapshots), get a retail man in who last sold shoes, bread or whatever, he will get in people who can sell themselves well to him without necessarily knowing anything about the use of the product.

They may well have training (in sales techniques, not use of products), but that does not mean they know or care about how you use the products.

I have been using Chiswick Camera Centre (near my work) and Luton Camera Repairs (near home) recently. Both have people who have knowledge of how to actually use the products they sell, from experience. E.G. they are and employ enthusiasts. Much cheaper in the long run - you are less likely to make expensive mistakes, and they don't want their name tarnished for selling the wrong stuff, go to a chain store and many of the staff there just want to earn as much as they can until they can get a better job somewhere else.

As for Pentax, I doubt they sell many cameras through Jessops, it won't be much of a loss to them, just won't have their name tarnished by being sold in a chain store.

Macca35
Macca35  5
16 Aug 2009 - 4:45 PM

I'm not old enough to remember Dixons selling darkroom kit, but I do know Frank Wilkinson who founded Wilkinson Cameras used to work for them.

When Dixons changed, Wilkinson moved on to Wildings and then started his own company. I used to work in the trade in the photo department of the old and now long closed down Hartleys Chemists in Burnley, so I have an idea of how things should be done.

My experience of dealerships nowadays is that the most customer focused stores are the smaller ones, and the guys who work there tend to actually go out and take photographs as a hobby.

As for Jessops and the arrival of the investors from private equity operations and other financial institutions, this so often means they put either mass market retail men in at the top, or worse still, and please don't take this the wrong way, management accountants.

My own experience of working in the trade was that when big business and the accountants effectively took over the company I worked for, the fun and interest quickly evapourated away. Everthing was then centred around profit margins rather than the customers that my colleagues and I had looked after for so long.

RogBrown
RogBrown  73006 forum posts England10 Constructive Critique Points
16 Aug 2009 - 5:06 PM

I remember about 20 years ago being in our local branch of Dixons. A young assistant was demonstrating a camera to a lady who asked what the Fill-in Flash setting was for. He hadn't a clue & just waffled. So it's not a new thing! Sad

Graysta
Graysta  91135 forum posts England
16 Aug 2009 - 5:20 PM

Quote: Jessops came in, expanded with money from people coming from investment markets rather than keeping photographic enthusiasts at the top and they then had to go for the now sale, rather than building up relationships with customers. The stores are very variable, get an enthusiast as manager and he will recruit people who actually take photographs outside the store (and not just snapshots), get a retail man in who last sold shoes, bread or whatever, he will get in people who can sell themselves well to him without necessarily knowing anything about the use of the product.

Just about spot on.My local Jessops has the enthusiast as a manager(Tony),in the last round of cuts he lost his lab operator and all full time staff, he now operates with himself & partime staff most of who are the former full time staff, it's probably one of the smallest Jessops outlets but maybe one of the best for staff who care and can help,i fear it will not be for long as there are no futher cuts this branch can take.Yes it looks like Jessops will join Woollies and dissapear from the high street.I might be wrong but i think the gaffers expect 37 per hour profit from that store.

Last Modified By Graysta at 16 Aug 2009 - 5:23 PM
kenp
kenp  896 forum posts United Kingdom
17 Aug 2009 - 11:48 PM

It was actually Pentax who stopped supplying Jessops!.........to prevent a big financial hit when jessops go belly up!...........

Last Modified By kenp at 17 Aug 2009 - 11:49 PM
Overread
Overread  63766 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
18 Aug 2009 - 12:08 AM

I'd be surprised at that - since at the moment they seem to have practically no highorder gear in stock at the moment - most is on 24day delivery (which means they have to order it in) - aside from the high consumer items which sell more units and thus are worth keeping in stock and on the shelves.

mcgovernjon
18 Aug 2009 - 9:47 PM

I hope it doesn't close - I'm being sent 100 in Jessops vouchers as a prize :-(

User_Removed
18 Aug 2009 - 10:54 PM

Aaaargh! The curse of the Jessop's voucher! Best of luck in spending it.

lemmy
lemmy  71876 forum posts United Kingdom
17 Oct 2009 - 6:24 PM

Quote: I hope it doesn't close - I'm being sent 100 in Jessops vouchers as a prize :-(

I have in front of me a letter from my bank informing me of the liquidation of Jessops PLC.

It 'says the board of Jessops PLC has announced that it intends to put the company into a solvent liquidation before the end of the year.'

Shareholders will receive 9.7p in cash for every 100 ordinary shares. I bought 2000 of them as a bit of a punt at 11p a while ago. Anyone wanting investment advice, please feel free to contact me at any time.

I emailed the news desk at ePhotozine with a copy of the letter a while ago but they didn't use it - don't believe me, maybe!

Overread
Overread  63766 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
17 Oct 2009 - 6:37 PM

Appears (with a quick google search) that this started on the 29th september - google gives quite a few results - this one seems to have a lot of info (even if its all in jargen talk)
link

Brilane
Brilane e2 Member 8Brilane vcard Wales12 Constructive Critique Points
19 Oct 2009 - 1:24 PM

Google....Jessops liquidation

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.