Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Jessops ditch Pentax cameras.

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318442 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
19 Oct 2009 - 1:33 PM

Quote: I emailed the news desk at ePhotozine with a copy of the letter a while ago but they didn't use it - don't believe me, maybe!

Thanks for the info, but it was a bit late, i'd already mentioned that in the news story here Jessops Save Jobs .

Last Modified By Pete at 19 Oct 2009 - 1:33 PM
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
19 Oct 2009 - 1:33 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Krakman
Krakman  73615 forum posts Scotland
19 Oct 2009 - 1:57 PM

Quote: Jessops came in, expanded with money from people coming from investment markets rather than keeping photographic enthusiasts at the top and they then had to go for the now sale, rather than building up relationships with customers

This is happening in many industries around the land as accountants take over, and destroy, business after business. The newspaper industry being one of them.

I think it's a wave that our society is going through. Because everything is measured in terms of money, it's inevitable that accountants are handed power. Since life is actually more complicated than money, it tends to mean businesses go down the pan.

Hopefully in a decade or two we will have got over it, and moved on to our next over-simplification of life.

Last Modified By Krakman at 19 Oct 2009 - 1:58 PM
Overread
Overread  63746 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
19 Oct 2009 - 2:01 PM

I think it also has to do with companies moving away from being family run to being shareholder run. A family run company tends view things in the longe term (generally speaking here) since the parents wish at least one child to carry on the family busisnes (also something that is lost today). Whilst shareholder based companies tend to be more short term in their views on things - they aim more toward short quick term gains and less at the longer flow of things.

Add to that the change in manufacture ethics - from a society where making something to last as long as possible was key to a society where so long as it just about does the job for the length of its warrenty (where thus it breaks and we buy a new one - endless custom).

Krakman
Krakman  73615 forum posts Scotland
19 Oct 2009 - 2:06 PM

I agree entirely, though think it's kind of saying the same thing in a different way:

Quote: they aim more toward short quick term gains

= money now

Quote: and less at the longer flow of things

= a successful business and a happy life

Quote: a society where making something to last as long as possible was key to a society

= quality of life and pride in what you achieve

Quote: so long as it just about does the job for the length of its warrenty

= money now.

Last Modified By Krakman at 19 Oct 2009 - 2:06 PM
lemmy
lemmy  71814 forum posts United Kingdom
19 Oct 2009 - 2:42 PM

Quote: Quote:I emailed the news desk at ePhotozine with a copy of the letter a while ago but they didn't use it - don't believe me, maybe!Thanks for the info, but it was a bit late, i'd already mentioned that in the news story here Jessops Save Jobs .

Sorry, Pete! I got an email from Nikita asking if you could use my name against the information, so I assumed it was new to you.

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318442 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
19 Oct 2009 - 3:19 PM

Quote: Sorry, Pete! I got an email from Nikita asking if you could use my name against the information, so I assumed it was new to you

.no worries she wasn't aware I'd added the comment a few days earlier

loweswood
loweswood  9317 forum posts England
23 Oct 2009 - 9:25 PM

It's from the American snack the submarine sandwich...the shape. Also sub - way fits the marketing strategy too.

screwdriver
31 Oct 2009 - 4:55 PM

I think you'll find that Pentax stopped supplies to Jessop, not the other way round. Jessops tried to buy from the independant wholesalers, so Pentax stopped supplying them too.

As Pentax's camera manufacturing is the least of their income I don't think they are too bothered, they make more lenses than anyone else in the world, if you wear glasses chances are your looking at the world through Pentax lenses right now, they are a major name in medical and military optics too.

Chris

keith selmes
31 Oct 2009 - 5:24 PM

No, I'm looking through Zeisss lenses Smile

User_Removed
31 Oct 2009 - 5:53 PM

Mine are Zeiss too (Wink) - but Chris makes very valid comments which I support 100%.

Jessops were/are in no position (even when they were a viable business) to 'dictate' to the likes of Pentax. Even if they were that arrogant, I don't see Pentax even showing the slightest of concerns - let alone Pentax Shareholders.

lightheart
8 Feb 2010 - 4:51 PM

Quote: Its not fashionable to slag Jessop's off at all, I have read a few posts about jessop's but this is my first contribution on the subject. The demise of jessop's is the result of years and years of an organisation that does not give any consideration to customer satisfaction. The board would do well to read the critcism of their company on forums such as this, use it as a cutomer satisfaction survey and put measures in place to correct the problems. At the end of the day, recession or not, if a company does not delight its customers then they will not return. Jessop's are not competetive in its pricing of products and it does not, in general, have helpful and informed staff. I don't mind paying a little extra if the service I get is exceptional. The fault lies firmly and squarely with the senior management, they have not developed as a company to compete with online commercial activities that are now prevalent in business, they have not continually improved the service they offer and, in my experience, they have employed that generic species of salesperson that are purely a human device for taking the money, wrapping the goods up and then continue to chew gum waiting for 5.00 o'clock and hometime, with very little interest in what they sell, thousands of these can be found in shopping centres throughout the UK. I suggest Jessop's board take a trip to SRS Microsystems to learn a little about business excellence in the retail photographic market.

Martin

redsnappa
redsnappa  111911 forum posts United Kingdom
8 Feb 2010 - 7:05 PM

Quote: They seem to call their products "subs". I've never quite worked out why this is.

a baguette looks a little like a submarine, sub is short for submarine, subway is a play on words blah blah. Not too many brain cells needed to work that out.

pentaxian
pentaxian  41 Constructive Critique Points
9 Feb 2010 - 12:20 AM

I heartily agree with froggma. Jessops customer service leaves much to be desired. They look after you once you have bought from them and their aftersales service is OK, but their service and advice on the run-up to the sale is very poor. I have read some reports in an electrical retailing trade magazine where their mystery shoppers have visited numerous Jessops branches and they always come out very badly.
I too use SRS Microsystems - a truly excellent dealer.
As for why Jessops dropped Pentax in favour of Sony, well I think it comes down to how much the two companies spend on advertising relative to each other. Sony's advertising budget would seem to be many times that of Pentax.
I love Pentax cameras but the Pentax in the UK seems to do very little to push the brand. People will go into Jessops asking for a Sony, but Jessops will have to actually sell Pentax to people who may never have considered the brand. Jessops has simply taken the easy option.

lightheart
9 Feb 2010 - 11:47 AM

Quote: I agree entirely, though think it's kind of saying the same thing in a different way:

Quote:they aim more toward short quick term gains = money now

Quote:and less at the longer flow of things= a successful business and a happy life

Quote:a society where making something to last as long as possible was key to a society = quality of life and pride in what you achieve

Quote:so long as it just about does the job for the length of its warrenty = money now.

lightheart
9 Feb 2010 - 11:53 AM

So does this mean all my JESSOPS filters become "collectors items" they serve me well as do my early HOYA's .I couldnt care less about the brand names and marketting (to line share holders pockets). Do you drink Coca Cola or polish your camera metalwork with it.?

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.