Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Jessops ordering system ha ! ha!

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

tombola400
8 Sep 2012 - 10:15 AM

I would like to pass on the following. If you pre book a camera etc. form Jessops, do not assume it will be there for collection. I ordered a camera on line from the Sunderland branch and was sent a confirmation e-mail. Prior to setting off to collect it, on a whim, I decided to phone to confirm the camera was there. Of course the camrea wasn't in the shop, the camera turned out to be the display model. I would have travelled a round trip of 70 miles , payed parking etc. all for nothing. Jessops are a complete joke.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
8 Sep 2012 - 10:15 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

robthecamman
8 Sep 2012 - 10:39 AM

not good pr i guess

User_Removed
8 Sep 2012 - 10:59 AM

That's bad.

Their "collect in store" system should be kept up to date.

I must confess that I don't use Jessops very often (in fact, practically never) because I find their staff lack genuine photographic knowledge and can, perhaps innocently, offer incorrect advice.

But I have used their online system a couple of times.

On the last occasion, I was looking for a Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8 VRII lens. Jessops were the cheapest in the UK but their online system showed that none were available for postal delivery. They were, however, available for in-store collection. When I first looked for my nearest store that could execute an in-store collection, the system told me my nearest was Stirling.

Next day, having decided to buy from them, I discovered that the lens was no longer available from Stirling but could be collected from Glasgow. Having a free morning and my free OAP bus pass, I ordered on that basis.

Happily, when I arrived at the Glasgow store, they had the lens I had purchased online.

What I don't know is whether that lens was reserved for me the moment I completed the online order or whether, if Joe Bloggs had walked in off the street 5 minutes before me, they would have sold it to him?

Last Modified By User_Removed at 8 Sep 2012 - 11:02 AM
tombola400
8 Sep 2012 - 11:51 AM

As a prequel to the above episode with Jessops, I nearly bought the camera from another of their stores 2 weeks earlier, but the sales guy was persistant in trying to sell me extra gear I didn't want I eventually got that peeved off I left the shop. having bought nothing. I have seen this before in another of their shops, an unfortunate lady became that confused with the bombardment of the sales assistant she also ended up walking out with nothing. Hence me trying to purchase the camera on-line.
i would suggest the staff in Jessops look again at their customer relation skills.

kodachrome
8 Sep 2012 - 1:55 PM

My mate worked for Jessops at Heathrow, but no longer, he said they go on training courses and are told to push extras with all sales, then offer extended warrenty and spare memory card and/or battery.

The other thing which he found quite unacceptable was, when a customer showed interest in a camera, no matter how bottom end or high end it was, they were told to promote the customers choice but offer up a more expensive version at a higher price quoting all its extra virtues over the lesser model. Many customers were caught like this, buying some thing they never intended to buy.

Here is his quote on a typical Saturday sale to a typical guy who was not into photography, but had more money than sense for his trip to Bali and wanted to record his visit with a good camera.

I want a high quality compact he says? he ended up with a Sony NEX-5N twin lens kit, a Spare card, a complete cleaning kit, a screen protector, a gadget bag and 2 UV filter and a spare battery. Oh, and a pissed off wife.
My mate got a bonus for that sale.
He said they were just box movers.

Kodachrome

PaulSR
PaulSR  9511 forum posts England
8 Sep 2012 - 2:16 PM

why dont customers play along with all the sales patter and accept everything, then when the assistant has it all bagged up just say oh ive changed my mind.

CaptivePhotons
CaptivePhotons e2 Member 111561 forum postsCaptivePhotons vcard England2 Constructive Critique Points
8 Sep 2012 - 2:31 PM

Quote: Why dont customers play along with all the sales patter and accept everything, then when the assistant has it all bagged up just say oh ive changed my mind.

Alternatively, one could just say 'No, thank you' at the outset.

mdpontin
mdpontin  106016 forum posts Scotland
8 Sep 2012 - 2:49 PM

Quote: Alternatively, one could just say 'No, thank you' at the outset.

That's what I do. Saves me from wasting my time going into the shop. Wink

P_A_D
P_A_D  7 England
8 Sep 2012 - 4:24 PM

I've experienced similar on two occasions with Jessops. Only use then as they were the only vendors with 'stock available' locally.

1st instance tripod head had clearly been removed from display and repackaged - on inspection could clearly see dust in the areas that they missed in cleaning! On challenging staff they did in the end admit that it had been removed from display
2nd instance ordered some A3 paper - on getting to the store tied to palm me off with A3+. quote "well it is bigger paper at the same price" explained that it was no good to me as printer could not take A3+ "well you could cut it down to size!.

Both occasions left store empty handed.

steve_p
steve_p  91098 forum posts England
8 Sep 2012 - 4:53 PM

Here we go again let's knock Jessops! I used to work for them, and never once pushed someone into buying something they didn't want. Yes pressure is on to sell addons and extended warranties. It's because there is very little profit in hardware sales.
The customer can always say "no".
Because of the financial constraints it's quite likely the store would probably only have one item of a more expensive unit in stock. The stock system doesn't know if it is on display or not.
On the other side quite often people would order on line, and because they don't pay for it when the order is placed, they don't bother to collect it.
Sometimes you could have sold the item, but it's there on the shelf awaiting a sale that doesn't materialise in the end!

steve_p
8 Sep 2012 - 5:01 PM

Quote: Why dont customers play along with all the sales patter and accept everything, then when the assistant has it all bagged up just say oh ive changed my mind.

Yes that's typical of the contempt shop workers are given! I no longer work in retail because of this. One story that springs to my mind is when a "lady" came in to my branch demanding we supply a new instruction book for her camera. She had owned it for six months and had lost the original one but shouted we should give her a book as it was under warranty!!

PaulSR
PaulSR  9511 forum posts England
8 Sep 2012 - 5:23 PM

Quote: Yes that's typical of the contempt shop workers are given! I no longer work in retail because of this. One story that springs to my mind is when a "lady" came in to my branch demanding we supply a new instruction book for her camera. She had owned it for six months and had lost the original one but shouted we should give her a book as it was under warranty!!

OBVIOUSLY my comment only applies to the asistants trying to force goods on you that you dont want and didnt ask for. If people did what i said to just any assistant for no reason then they would deserve a punch.

steve_p
8 Sep 2012 - 5:30 PM

Apologies for insinuating that you are one of the many morons who think its funny to treat assistants in that way.

NEWDIGIT
NEWDIGIT  3401 forum posts United Kingdom
8 Sep 2012 - 5:32 PM

Jessops spell customer SUCKER

Last Modified By NEWDIGIT at 8 Sep 2012 - 5:33 PM
Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315621 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
8 Sep 2012 - 5:33 PM

You can`t always blame the staff Sad

I once faced a disciplinary for rescuing a customers images using my own laptop after another member of staff had deleted them Smile

There`s so many rules and regulations these days I now refuse to work in retail.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.