Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Jessops RIP

Attention!

This topic is locked.

Reason : duplicate topic

peterjones 12 4.0k 1 United Kingdom
10 Jan 2013 7:37AM
I hope this thread hasn't been started somewhere already but I read in my papers that Jessops has now gone into administration; my views posted elsewhere:

As a consumer I feel that Jessops had lost it's way being neither fish nor fowl with no USP to offer; it was unable to price match the box shifters; shame to see another high street outlet go particularly as unlike Comet Jessops' post sale service was generally of a high order.

Peter

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

scartlane 3 68 United Kingdom
10 Jan 2013 7:59AM
yeah its a shame, but hey least some of us might get a few bargins!
Tongue
Unit8 5 2 1 United Kingdom
10 Jan 2013 8:02AM
I think Jessops had become a place to go look at a product and try the feel of it then go buy online at a better price, a pity though because it was very handy and the staff in the Warrington branch were really good.
sherlob e2
8 2.4k 126 United Kingdom
10 Jan 2013 8:12AM
I agree with Unit8 - this was one of the few places you could get a hands on feel of new kit. At times I found there service frustrating/suprising, but to be honest this was fairly rare. I feel for the staff... although you get the odd dud - with a bit of digging you could usually get to speak with someone with a genuine interest and some experience of photography.
10 Jan 2013 8:37AM
With the demise of Jessops I can only hope that this will encourage the return of the independent photography shops to our high streets which were swallowed up losing all that knowledge and enthusiasm.
tezquirk 3 27 United Kingdom
10 Jan 2013 8:46AM
I think Jessops pulled themselves under , Just like focus and several other big name retailer's , By not competing with lower priced retailer's or becoming the lowest in town etc , You lose custom , People will always shop around for bargains Tongue Common sense should rule over PROFIT ...

Tez..
Big Bri 13 15.7k United Kingdom
10 Jan 2013 8:51AM
In my local store, it was unusual they actually had what you wanted. If you ordered it in, they never called to say it arrived, and often if you called in to check, they had then sold it to another customer. Filters were just loose in a drawer and if they didn't have what you wanted, they would pull out a random one and try and sell you that. Last time I asked them for one, they didn't have it, and immediately started ordering me one - I said no thanks and bought it at an independant store locally for 40 less.
Prices for media cards were about 4x what you pay on Amazon. I am not surprised by their demise at all.
answersonapostcard e2
10 12.7k 15 United Kingdom
10 Jan 2013 9:07AM