Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Jessops Rip-off tactics

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
going_digital
29 Oct 2010 - 6:51 PM

I have been wanting to buy a Sony 50mm f1.8 Lens for a while now and have been looking on the Jessops site regularly thinking about it, their price has been 129.99 for many months. As it was only 6 more than the cheapest I could find i was contemplating buying it from them, but thought I'd wait a bit longer to see if any better offers came up, particularly any promotions from Sony. So when Sony introduced the VAT cash back offer a couple of days ago I thought great, I will order it as that would be about 20 back!

Well you guessed it now that the promotion is running Jessops have miraculously increased the price to 149. A case of greed on their part as they are now promoting it as 130 after cash back to grab themselves an extra 20! This kind of sharp practice is not going to go down to well, I for one will now not be ordering from them.

Anyone have any suggestions on the best place to get a Sony 50mm f1.8 Lens ?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
29 Oct 2010 - 6:51 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

cattyal
cattyal e2 Member 96032 forum postscattyal vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
29 Oct 2010 - 6:58 PM

Have you tried the London Camera Exchange? I've bought all of my lenses from them as their prices have been very competitive. Unfortunately their site doesn't show a price for the lens you're after but they might be worth a go?

lawbert
lawbert  71713 forum posts England15 Constructive Critique Points
29 Oct 2010 - 7:46 PM

Ive Just had a quick look and the best I can up with is.......JessopsTongue

All the other retailers are doing exactly the same with the priceWink

I guess its best to buy when you find a price your happy with rather than waitingSmile

Coleslaw
Coleslaw e2 Member 913403 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
29 Oct 2010 - 7:58 PM

Amazon?

BigRick
BigRick  92085 forum posts United Kingdom3 Constructive Critique Points
29 Oct 2010 - 8:02 PM

Quote: Have you tried the London Camera Exchange? I've bought all of my lenses from them as their prices have been very competitive. Unfortunately their site doesn't show a price for the lens you're after but they might be worth a go?

recently went to them for a price for two lenses, and they were MUCH more expensive than anywher else.... WE was the best price i found.

lawbert
lawbert  71713 forum posts England15 Constructive Critique Points
29 Oct 2010 - 8:03 PM

Amazon are slightly cheaper Cole but Amazon arent the seller....Its another retailer.....

For 8 quid is it worth taking a risk on the warranty if it isnt UK stock.

Coleslaw
Coleslaw e2 Member 913403 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
29 Oct 2010 - 8:04 PM

141.22 is from amazom, not retailer. Retailers are selling 120++

Last Modified By Coleslaw at 29 Oct 2010 - 8:06 PM
cattyal
cattyal e2 Member 96032 forum postscattyal vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
29 Oct 2010 - 8:10 PM

Quote: Have you tried the London Camera Exchange? I've bought all of my lenses from them as their prices have been very competitive. Unfortunately their site doesn't show a price for the lens you're after but they might be worth a go?

recently went to them for a price for two lenses, and they were MUCH more expensive than anywher else.... WE was the best price i found.

I guess I just got lucky then Smile

going_digital
29 Oct 2010 - 8:45 PM

Best deal I have found is http://www.devoncamera.co.uk/index.cfm/photographic/Products.Details/product_id/... at 138 then 20 cash back makes it 118. Not sure if they are any good though. Just can't believe Jessops hiked the price.

ianrobinson
ianrobinson e2 Member 41107 forum postsianrobinson vcard United Kingdom8 Constructive Critique Points
29 Oct 2010 - 8:48 PM

well if your looking for lens then go to ebay as uk mprices are stupidly expensive i have a fair few lens now and filters at really good prices.
i tend to use jessops and london camera exchange as a price target to give me an idea on a good deal.
Personally there far to expensive when all i have to do is buy abraod at really good prices..... simples...................Grin

cathal
cathal  9492 forum posts Ireland4 Constructive Critique Points
29 Oct 2010 - 11:23 PM

Is the lens included in the VAT back promotion? Has there been a price increase recently?

With the VAT rate increasing to 20% in January, a lot of companies are probably anticipating a lot of "buy before the price increases" purchasing. Also, in January, a lot will probably hold the price at pre-VAT increase prices. Next year will be a very tough year for retailers of all sorts, and many will feel compelled to hold prices and carry the burden themselves.

As always, shop around...

dcash29
dcash29  81905 forum posts England
29 Oct 2010 - 11:46 PM

Guess you should have bought at 129 as that was far cheaper than anyone else.

Then there would have been a thread applauding Jessops for a change and how nice it is to have high street shops

Wilkinson Cameras are selling at 139

Quote: well if your looking for lens then go to ebay as uk mprices are stupidly expensive i have a fair few lens now and filters at really good prices.
i tend to use jessops and london camera exchange as a price target to give me an idea on a good deal.
Personally there far to expensive when all i have to do is buy abraod at really good prices..... simples..

Guess thats ok if you dont pay import duty, nothing goes wrong and requires fixing and they same doesnt happen to your job

Last Modified By dcash29 at 29 Oct 2010 - 11:49 PM
WilliamRoar
30 Oct 2010 - 10:15 AM

http://www.camerapricebuster.com/

ripleysalien
30 Oct 2010 - 10:17 AM

RGB list a 50mm 1.8 sony at 129 but its out of stock.

gpwalton
gpwalton  1390 forum posts
30 Oct 2010 - 4:16 PM

Try Park Cameras 119.99, in stock.

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.