Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Jessops Rip-off tactics

29 Oct 2010 6:51PM
I have been wanting to buy a Sony 50mm f1.8 Lens for a while now and have been looking on the Jessops site regularly thinking about it, their price has been 129.99 for many months. As it was only 6 more than the cheapest I could find i was contemplating buying it from them, but thought I'd wait a bit longer to see if any better offers came up, particularly any promotions from Sony. So when Sony introduced the VAT cash back offer a couple of days ago I thought great, I will order it as that would be about 20 back!

Well you guessed it now that the promotion is running Jessops have miraculously increased the price to 149. A case of greed on their part as they are now promoting it as 130 after cash back to grab themselves an extra 20! This kind of sharp practice is not going to go down to well, I for one will now not be ordering from them.

Anyone have any suggestions on the best place to get a Sony 50mm f1.8 Lens ?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

cattyal e2
9 6.4k 6 England
29 Oct 2010 6:58PM
Have you tried the London Camera Exchange? I've bought all of my lenses from them as their prices have been very competitive. Unfortunately their site doesn't show a price for the lens you're after but they might be worth a go?
lawbert 7 1.8k 15 England
29 Oct 2010 7:46PM
Ive Just had a quick look and the best I can up with is.......JessopsTongue

All the other retailers are doing exactly the same with the priceWink

I guess its best to buy when you find a price your happy with rather than waitingSmile
Coleslaw e2
9 13.4k 28 Wales
29 Oct 2010 7:58PM
BigRick 9 2.1k 3 United Kingdom
29 Oct 2010 8:02PM

Quote:Have you tried the London Camera Exchange? I've bought all of my lenses from them as their prices have been very competitive. Unfortunately their site doesn't show a price for the lens you're after but they might be worth a go?

recently went to them for a price for two lenses, and they were MUCH more expensive than anywher else.... WE was the best price i found.
lawbert 7 1.8k 15 England
29 Oct 2010 8:03PM
Amazon are slightly cheaper Cole but Amazon arent the seller....Its another retailer.....

For 8 quid is it worth taking a risk on the warranty if it isnt UK stock.
Coleslaw e2
9 13.4k 28 Wales
29 Oct 2010 8:04PM
141.22 is from amazom, not retailer. Retailers are selling 120++
cattyal e2
9 6.4k 6 England
29 Oct 2010 8:10PM

Quote:Have you tried the London Camera Exchange? I've bought all of my lenses from them as their prices have been very competitive. Unfortunately their site doesn't show a price for the lens you're after but they might be worth a go?

recently went to them for a price for two lenses, and they were MUCH more expensive than anywher else.... WE was the best price i found.

I guess I just got lucky then Smile
29 Oct 2010 8:45PM
Best deal I have found is http://www.devoncamera.co.uk/index.cfm/photographic/Products.Details/product_id/5872?utm_source=google_shopping&utm_medium=pcn&utm_term=SONY_50mm_F1_8_lens&utm_content=feed&utm_campaign=devoncamera at 138 then 20 cash back makes it 118. Not sure if they are any good though. Just can't believe Jessops hiked the price.
ianrobinson e2
5 1.2k 8 United Kingdom
29 Oct 2010 8:48PM
well if your looking for lens then go to ebay as uk mprices are stupidly expensive i have a fair few lens now and filters at really good prices.
i tend to use jessops and london camera exchange as a price target to give me an idea on a good deal.
Personally there far to expensive when all i have to do is buy abraod at really good prices..... simples...................Grin
cathal 10 492 4 Ireland
29 Oct 2010 11:23PM
Is the lens included in the VAT back promotion? Has there been a price increase recently?

With the VAT rate increasing to 20% in January, a lot of companies are probably anticipating a lot of "buy before the price increases" purchasing. Also, in January, a lot will probably hold the price at pre-VAT increase prices. Next year will be a very tough year for retailers of all sorts, and many will feel compelled to hold prices and carry the burden themselves.

As always, shop around...
dcash29 9 2.0k England
29 Oct 2010 11:46PM
Guess you should have bought at 129 as that was far cheaper than anyone else.

Then there would have been a thread applauding Jessops for a change and how nice it is to have high street shops

Wilkinson Cameras are selling at 139

Quote:well if your looking for lens then go to ebay as uk mprices are stupidly expensive i have a fair few lens now and filters at really good prices.
i tend to use jessops and london camera exchange as a price target to give me an idea on a good deal.
Personally there far to expensive when all i have to do is buy abraod at really good prices..... simples..

Guess thats ok if you dont pay import duty, nothing goes wrong and requires fixing and they same doesnt happen to your job
WilliamRoar 7 188 United Kingdom
30 Oct 2010 10:15AM
ripleysalien 8 1.2k 11 United Kingdom
30 Oct 2010 10:17AM
RGB list a 50mm 1.8 sony at 129 but its out of stock.
gpwalton 13 90
30 Oct 2010 4:16PM
Try Park Cameras 119.99, in stock.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.