Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Jessops share price freefall!!!!! says BBC today

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

gillk
gillk  7144 forum posts
4 Mar 2007 - 5:19 PM

Well said Leanne! Last 2 Jessops I was in, Cribbs causeway and town centre, Bristol were both helpful knowledgeable and enthusiastic

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
4 Mar 2007 - 5:19 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

mattw
mattw  105189 forum posts United Kingdom10 Constructive Critique Points
4 Mar 2007 - 5:47 PM

Quote: Regarding the two Jessops on every High Street remark. This situation came about when they took over other businesses.

Not always. I have seen a number of new stores open when there are already other stores in easy walking distance.

Quote:
As for the second-hand equipment, one of the staff told me that the market collapsed when eBay became popular; although Jacobs still stock second-hand.

That is a good point, but I think the reality is that Jessops realises that taking on loads of second film equipment was no such a good idea when digital was taking off.

Mattw

Leanne_photo
4 Mar 2007 - 5:54 PM

Thanks gillk, just gets on my goat!! obviously someone likes Jessops if they are within top 10 retail stores again this year - just dont understand people on here.. explains why I haven t been on for a while, everyone is entitled to their opinion but just feel you lot do want them to fail.. I wonder how many of you actually put pen to paper these days and give constructive critism to Jessops h/o instead of complaining on here where Jessops don t see it.

BlindLemon
4 Mar 2007 - 6:25 PM

I think the continual criticism of Jessops on this site is pretty unfair to be honest.
The overheads associated with running hundreds of high street stores, compared with one warehouse somewhere, must be huge.

I guess, once all the stores become Starbucks, we'll be spoilt for choice for somewhere to go for a coffee and a good moan about the lack of real shops left on the high street.

Leanne_photo
4 Mar 2007 - 6:34 PM

Exactly BlindLemon I am fully aware that at least 3 shops on my local high st, one independant two chains are shutting down - the public have caused it though, noone else because they'd rather buy cheap and convience than 'go see' and talk to someone.

Whats the bet you'll see the same people who post here complaining when there isn't a retail market on their high st any more...

pentaxpete
4 Mar 2007 - 6:37 PM

I'm getting worried now reading all that: Jessops Chelmsford sold me a duff Pentax K10D last Monday. Battery went by Friday,and now I cannot get a picture up only a blank screen with the 'Delete' logo on it! I am taking it back tomorrow; let's hope the branch is still there !

Leanne_photo
4 Mar 2007 - 6:47 PM

ooohhh you never know might be a fast food chain tomorrow hhhaahahha never mind!

elowes
elowes  102832 forum posts United Kingdom
4 Mar 2007 - 7:39 PM

Jessops have done a lot to bring photography to the 'masses' no matter what some may say. So, in some places service was not so good, prices not matched (though I have never had that problem, last bought from them in October last year), kit not in stock (at least you get told there and then, not like an email company who took 3 days to tell me what they advertised as in stock was not in stock).

I know one bad episode can put people off (except those who reality TV shows) but there seems to be a lot of people slagging off Jessops without any solid personal reason.

I use the place which offers the best deal and where I can speak to living (though at times it might not be life as we know it) flesh. It just so happens that in my town it's Jessops or LCE. I can travel to other towns and do when it is worth it.

A lot of people will be very sorry if they go to the wall.

PeterOutdoors

As I was the person who started this thread I need to clarify some points:-

---Jessops 'failing' is certainly NOT something I would like to see. There are peoples jobs (some are ePz members), their income, families & the general health of the High St at stake. It would be a sad day for many, including ePz member's, if things don't improve for Jessops.

---There was a time when Jessops was run by the original founding family. It was not without it's critic's back then. It was run on the basis of being targeted at photography enthusiasts like ePz members perhaps. These days is it targeting the same customers? No. Jessops is now, firstly, at the mercy of the cut-throat High St market where NET margins are often very thin indeed.

---I HAVE been in contact with Jessops via shop managers and the Jessops 'investor relations' website to try to alert the management to views often voiced here which include my own. Nothing has changed IMHO, but thats hardly surprising if I was the only person (how many of us are contacting them?) trying to FORMALLY inform them of positive changes they could implement.

---Competition is GOOD. If Jessops are no longer around then we could get closer to the sorts of choices we have for our petrol for instance....i.e. relatively very few real providers & very little price differential.

My original reason for starting this thread was to say ALARM BELLS were being sounded in the investor community.

I'm now about to start another thread which based on this one and many before it regarding Jessops will be entitled Constructive Suggestions To Jessops Management. If you wish to add your comments, then I will put them to Jessops and see if we can improve their chances of success by meeting the needs of ePz members who are beginners, enthusiasts & professionals.

P.S. I'm not linked to Jessops or any photographic retailer in anyway.

KenTaylor
KenTaylor e2 Member 92971 forum postsKenTaylor vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
1 Feb 2013 - 1:37 PM

Peter Jones thinks that Jessops is worth a punt

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318430 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
1 Feb 2013 - 1:47 PM

Been discussed here Ken http://www.ephotozine.com/forums/topic/so-there-is-a--white-knight--in-the-photo...

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.