Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Jessops to Return to High Streets

brian1208 e2
11 10.6k 12 United Kingdom
28 Mar 2013 9:16AM
I see in the paper this morning that up to 40 Jessops stores could be re-opened around the UK during April, employing around 500 people, 50% of whom could be previous staff.

I hope one of those is at our local Castlepoint location as they always provided friendly and informed service with products at a good price.

One thing I noticed is that they plan to sell products via the shops at the same price as on-line and they will be keeping the buy on line, collect in store service that I used a lot in the past

Despite all the negative comments seen in the past I view this as good news and wish them all success

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

JJGEE
9 6.4k 18 England
28 Mar 2013 9:27AM
BBC Breakfast's business correspondent was interviewing Peter Jones in the Oxford Street, London store this morning.

Obviously he was upbeat about the future of Jessops but did admit one of the previous issues was people going into the store, checking out the product then buying online elsewhere at a cheaper price.
As you stated above Brian, he has changed changed that and also by having fewer stores the fixed overheads will be less, allowing a more competitive pricing / profit margins.
dcash29 e2
9 2.0k England
28 Mar 2013 9:32AM

Quote: but did admit one of the previous issues was people going into the store, checking out the product then buying online elsewhere at a cheaper price.
As you stated above Brian, he has changed changed that

Changed in what way?

its ok ive read its in the way of a play table.
tpfkapm e2
3 151 United Kingdom
28 Mar 2013 9:34AM
great stuff
fingers crossed buy on line collect at store has a great appeal to me... i HATE DELIVERY FIRMS WHO ARE UNRELIABLE< UNCONTACTABLE AND TRASH MY STUFF IN TRANSIT!!!!!Wink

as long as the price is competitive and stock available it might just work, lohn lewis is still a major presence and viable so a good high street shop can survive, esp if the customer care and prices are good
JJGEE
9 6.4k 18 England
28 Mar 2013 9:35AM

Quote:Changed in what way?

He did not elaborate but I assumed the prices would be more in line with their competitors' online prices to stop people walking out of the store empty handed.
28 Mar 2013 9:52AM
shops opening = people in jobs. win/win Smile

*edit* did jessops ever offer price matching?
janeez e2
6 1.2k 8 United Kingdom
28 Mar 2013 9:53AM
Lets hope the stores are returned to the photographer and not the 'one size fits all' strategy they employed in recent years. Our original Jessops was a fantastic store with everything you could possibly want and very knowledgeable staff. They extended the shop, tons of space but with very little in it and lost all the great staff they had.
janeez e2
6 1.2k 8 United Kingdom
28 Mar 2013 9:55AM
They really should bring back the secondhand section as well. That was always good for a bargain. Wink
28 Mar 2013 10:02AM

Quote:They really should bring back the secondhand section as well. That was always good for a bargain. Wink

totally agree.

there used to be 3 jessops in Wolverhampton (admittedly overkill), but the largest store had a fantastic s/h section.
JackAllTog e2
5 4.0k 58 United Kingdom
28 Mar 2013 10:44AM
The website http://www.jessops.com/ is almost back...
jessops.jpg

thewilliam e2
6 4.9k
28 Mar 2013 10:48AM
Did people hang on to their Jessops vouchers and will the phoenix version honour them?
brian1208 e2
11 10.6k 12 United Kingdom
28 Mar 2013 11:37AM

Quote:*edit* did jessops ever offer price matching?

yes, against local stores and latterly against on-line, in stock items (my local store checked very simply by trying to place an order with the on-line retailer, if the basket showed it available I got the price match, otherwise - not).

I made use of both quite a few times
hobbs e2
10 1.2k United Kingdom
28 Mar 2013 11:52AM

Quote:Did people hang on to their Jessops vouchers and will the phoenix version honour them?

The new Jessops are not obligated to honour old Jessops vouchers, to start with new Jessops will not of recieved the money that was paid for the vouchers so they if they did honour them they would effectivily be giving stock away for free.
JackAllTog e2
5 4.0k 58 United Kingdom
28 Mar 2013 12:05PM
jessamn.jpg

janeez e2
6 1.2k 8 United Kingdom
28 Mar 2013 12:07PM
Come back JESSOPS all is forgiven!!! Wink Grin

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.