Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Jessops to Return to High Streets

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110243 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
28 Mar 2013 - 9:16 AM

I see in the paper this morning that up to 40 Jessops stores could be re-opened around the UK during April, employing around 500 people, 50% of whom could be previous staff.

I hope one of those is at our local Castlepoint location as they always provided friendly and informed service with products at a good price.

One thing I noticed is that they plan to sell products via the shops at the same price as on-line and they will be keeping the buy on line, collect in store service that I used a lot in the past

Despite all the negative comments seen in the past I view this as good news and wish them all success

Last Modified By brian1208 at 28 Mar 2013 - 9:17 AM
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
28 Mar 2013 - 9:16 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

JJGEE
JJGEE  96291 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
28 Mar 2013 - 9:27 AM

BBC Breakfast's business correspondent was interviewing Peter Jones in the Oxford Street, London store this morning.

Obviously he was upbeat about the future of Jessops but did admit one of the previous issues was people going into the store, checking out the product then buying online elsewhere at a cheaper price.
As you stated above Brian, he has changed changed that and also by having fewer stores the fixed overheads will be less, allowing a more competitive pricing / profit margins.

Last Modified By JJGEE at 28 Mar 2013 - 9:29 AM
dcash29
dcash29  81905 forum posts England
28 Mar 2013 - 9:32 AM

Quote: but did admit one of the previous issues was people going into the store, checking out the product then buying online elsewhere at a cheaper price.
As you stated above Brian, he has changed changed that

Changed in what way?

its ok ive read its in the way of a play table.

Last Modified By dcash29 at 28 Mar 2013 - 9:34 AM
tpfkapm
tpfkapm  3142 forum posts United Kingdom
28 Mar 2013 - 9:34 AM

great stuff
fingers crossed buy on line collect at store has a great appeal to me... i HATE DELIVERY FIRMS WHO ARE UNRELIABLE< UNCONTACTABLE AND TRASH MY STUFF IN TRANSIT!!!!!Wink

as long as the price is competitive and stock available it might just work, lohn lewis is still a major presence and viable so a good high street shop can survive, esp if the customer care and prices are good

JJGEE
JJGEE  96291 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
28 Mar 2013 - 9:35 AM

Quote: Changed in what way?

He did not elaborate but I assumed the prices would be more in line with their competitors' online prices to stop people walking out of the store empty handed.

ste_p0270
ste_p0270  363 forum posts England
28 Mar 2013 - 9:52 AM

shops opening = people in jobs. win/win Smile

*edit* did jessops ever offer price matching?

Last Modified By ste_p0270 at 28 Mar 2013 - 9:54 AM
janeez
janeez e2 Member 61182 forum postsjaneez vcard United Kingdom8 Constructive Critique Points
28 Mar 2013 - 9:53 AM

Lets hope the stores are returned to the photographer and not the 'one size fits all' strategy they employed in recent years. Our original Jessops was a fantastic store with everything you could possibly want and very knowledgeable staff. They extended the shop, tons of space but with very little in it and lost all the great staff they had.

janeez
janeez e2 Member 61182 forum postsjaneez vcard United Kingdom8 Constructive Critique Points
28 Mar 2013 - 9:55 AM

They really should bring back the secondhand section as well. That was always good for a bargain. Wink

ste_p0270
ste_p0270  363 forum posts England
28 Mar 2013 - 10:02 AM

Quote: They really should bring back the secondhand section as well. That was always good for a bargain. Wink

totally agree.

there used to be 3 jessops in Wolverhampton (admittedly overkill), but the largest store had a fantastic s/h section.

JackAllTog
JackAllTog e2 Member 53584 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
28 Mar 2013 - 10:44 AM

The website http://www.jessops.com/ is almost back...
jessops.jpg

thewilliam
28 Mar 2013 - 10:48 AM

Did people hang on to their Jessops vouchers and will the phoenix version honour them?

Last Modified By thewilliam at 28 Mar 2013 - 10:49 AM
brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110243 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
28 Mar 2013 - 11:37 AM

Quote: *edit* did jessops ever offer price matching?

yes, against local stores and latterly against on-line, in stock items (my local store checked very simply by trying to place an order with the on-line retailer, if the basket showed it available I got the price match, otherwise - not).

I made use of both quite a few times

hobbs
hobbs  101222 forum posts United Kingdom
28 Mar 2013 - 11:52 AM

Quote: Did people hang on to their Jessops vouchers and will the phoenix version honour them?

The new Jessops are not obligated to honour old Jessops vouchers, to start with new Jessops will not of recieved the money that was paid for the vouchers so they if they did honour them they would effectivily be giving stock away for free.

JackAllTog
JackAllTog e2 Member 53584 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
28 Mar 2013 - 12:05 PM

jessamn.jpg

janeez
28 Mar 2013 - 12:07 PM

Come back JESSOPS all is forgiven!!! Wink Grin

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.