Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

job opportunity

funkeldink e2
11 1.6k 1 United Kingdom
18 Apr 2009 2:08PM
tell me how you would reply this ...

1st email i received ..

Hi, I have a graduation ceremony to attend in Flinders University which lasts about two hours, I wonder do you have the time to photograph me during the ceremony? And possibly a few other photo shots on campus?

We will discuss pay later. My MSN is zihao@live.com.au if you wanna talk there.

i replied asking what date this was job required for ... and this is the email i got back:

Hi,

do you have any previous shooting experience at a graduate ceremony? If so can I see them? Also are you familiar with the campus?

My ceremony at Flinders University is in the afternoon of 22 March, which is next Wednesday. I can be avilable for shooting starting from 1 PM or earlier. The problem is, I also like a photo of me being handed over the parchment in the graduation ceremony. The ceremony is from 3-5 PM. If you charge by hour, then it will be unfair because we will probably be sitting in the ceremony most of the time. But I will probably know when my name is to be called on that day, probably! I'm not sure they will tell me.

So we have two plans:

(1) We do a shooting session before the ceremony, and then we go into the graduation hall, you take some photos of they passing me the parchment, then it's all done. You can leave early.
(2) You can come with me into the graduation hall at 3PM, and we do the shooting session after 5PM. (Do you think the sun light will be too dark after 5PM?)

I am not sure they will allow guest to move freely so a camera with good optical focus function will be useful, because if you can not leave the seat you have to shoot from a distance.

In regards to the pay, as suggested if I pay by hour it is unfair, it is not that I don't value your time, it's just that the time you spend there will not be intensive at all. If you spend spend every minute of, say, 3 hours shooting then it's a different story. May I suggest $50(25 quid) for the whole package? It's not too much but it's not too little neither. I am still a student and non-working, I can't afford too much. I'm open to negotiation though.

I will expect photos of quality, at a professional level. Otherwise I would have asked my friends to do it. We can talk about how we will portrait me later. Please tell me what you think about my proposal? If you use MSN, I suggest you view my face via my video camera so you can think about how to portrait me. My MSN is Zihao@live.com.au. Please add, I do not like emailing photos.

Thank you very much!

Kind regards,

Zac Li

????????

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

fauxtography 9 6.6k 36
18 Apr 2009 2:14PM

Quote:Tell me how you would reply this ...

May I suggest $50(25 quid) for the whole package?

Laugh, that'd be my reaction.

It's a grad ceremony, there will be togs there anyway, one for a formal shot before the ceremony, and maybe one during the ceremony for the vital "handover" shot (depends on the individual uni).

Sitting through a grad ceremony for a friend/loved one is bad enough but just to get his shot? Nah i'd pass it up to be honest.

You could maybe suggest a portrait session afterwards for him and and a few friends. More time, more money, more fun and possibly more print sales.
Kris_Dutson 12 8.2k 1 England
18 Apr 2009 2:26PM
I'd wonder if you would even be able to photograph his face as it's so far up his arse.

Wink
uggyy 9 2.1k 9 Scotland
18 Apr 2009 2:37PM

Quote:I'd wonder if you would even be able to photograph his face as it's so far up his arse.

I think thats a very offenceive statement to make.. True though Wink

To the OP, reply " No Thanks" the 25 wouldnt cover my parking/petrol and time let alone even 1 print."

There is sure to be a photoo booth close by as well for 5 pound he can get 4 passport sized shots Wink
stolzy 9 3.8k 7
18 Apr 2009 4:31PM
Seems like someone who doesn't have english as their first language, so it seems to the comments are a little unwarranted.
Doubtless you can express yourself fluently in a number of languages, but not everyone is so fortunate.
mark_delta 7 1.3k
18 Apr 2009 5:07PM
I can provide him a ntcj qualified photographer, which will satisfy his conditions, only 275+ vat for the half day !
uggyy 9 2.1k 9 Scotland
18 Apr 2009 6:09PM

Quote:Seems like someone who doesn't have english as their first language, so it seems to the comments are a little unwarranted.
Doubtless you can express yourself fluently in a number of languages, but not everyone is so fortunate.

Stolzy I dont see anyone attacking the guys gramma/english and I for one wouldnt slag anyone off for that, as being dyslexic, it would be the pot calling calling the kettle black.

I do think he needs a reality check wanting pro quality shots for 25 pound and setting out the ground rules the way he has.

Yes he is a student but

Quote:May I suggest $50(25 quid) for the whole package? It's not too much but it's not too little neither.

he must be a student in ecconomics as he beating out one helluva deal there Wink
Coleslaw e2
9 13.4k 28 Wales
18 Apr 2009 6:17PM

Quote:Seems like someone who doesn't have english as their first language

Maybe because he is chinese?
And we chinese are tight... Smile LOL
uggyy 9 2.1k 9 Scotland
18 Apr 2009 6:19PM

Quote:And we chinese are tight... LOL

rofl aye but not half as tight as us Scots...

You never hear of the man from Paisley who was found half starved to death on a pay as you leave bus? Wink
Coleslaw e2
9 13.4k 28 Wales
18 Apr 2009 6:20PM
lol....
uggyy 9 2.1k 9 Scotland
18 Apr 2009 6:29PM
Honestly though... no joke..

I had one person in for a viewing session ask if they could use there mobile phone to take photos of the screen to go to ASDA and get print outs of the photos Smile AND I had somone ask if they could take my intro package deal and go get the photo enlarged and printed to canvas... SO aye there some tight peeps out there Smile
daviewat 11 4.1k Scotland
18 Apr 2009 6:30PM

Quote:Quote:And we chinese are tight... LOLrofl aye but not half as tight as us Scots...

You never hear of the man from Paisley who was found half starved to death on a pay as you leave bus? Wink

Or the Aberdonian woman who`s farming husband suddenly died, and the Local paper phone d to see about inserting an obituary, and when she was informed of an offer of 3 words and 3 free her reply was

"Husband is dead , tractor for sale"

Smile
Coleslaw e2
9 13.4k 28 Wales
18 Apr 2009 6:37PM
Oh well, we are beaten.... D*mn.... Smile
18 Apr 2009 7:07PM

Quote:Otherwise I would have asked my friends to do it.

The obvious course of action to advise him to.

Perhaps his friends will find his terms acceptable (or not!).
justin c 11 4.6k 36 England
18 Apr 2009 7:28PM

Quote:Or the Aberdonian woman who`s farming husband suddenly died, and the Local paper phone d to see about inserting an obituary, and when she was informed of an offer of 3 words and 3 free her reply was

"Husband is dead , tractor for sale"

LOL Smile

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.