Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Joby UltraFit Sling Strap for Women for DSLRs

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314915 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
22 Oct 2012 - 9:37 PM

Quote: Harriet, I've got the black rapid ladies strap and there is quite a difference when you are wearing it

The mind boggles Smile

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
22 Oct 2012 - 9:37 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

HarrietH
HarrietH e2 Member 4261 forum postsHarrietH vcard Portugal
23 Oct 2012 - 6:01 AM

Well that is certainly nice to know, especially as I have already bought it, thanks Whipspeed. That bump detail convinced me. Wink
Harriet

HarrietH
23 Oct 2012 - 8:06 AM

One more question please for the blackstrap users. This is great for walking about but what about when you want to put your camera on a tripod you no longer have a strap to hold the camera, do you keep the camera without a strap or is there some kind of strap to put in place of the removed strap so that you have something to grip. I hope you understand what I mean.

Newdevonian
23 Oct 2012 - 8:47 AM

That is why I use the standard strap around my neck and under my left arm (I am right handed). The camera swings up to my eye just as well as the Joby / Black Rapid option and places no strain on the neck. It also leaves the tripod bush free.

Last Modified By Newdevonian at 23 Oct 2012 - 8:52 AM
KevSB
KevSB  101404 forum posts United Kingdom5 Constructive Critique Points
23 Oct 2012 - 8:57 AM

An earlier Discussion on here about the Black rapid, Not everyone is happy with it but the majority believe its perfecthttp://www.ephotozine.com/forums/topic/black-rapid-92095

Last Modified By KevSB at 23 Oct 2012 - 8:58 AM
whipspeed
whipspeed e2 Member 94039 forum postswhipspeed vcard United Kingdom22 Constructive Critique Points
23 Oct 2012 - 9:15 AM

Quote: Harriet, I've got the black rapid ladies strap and there is quite a difference when you are wearing it

The mind boggles Smile

LOL Paul, it just curves round ones lady bumps instead of going straight across and squashing them Smile

Harriet, depends on the tripod mount. I've got a 3 legged thing and the tripod plate stays on the camera and the clip to the strap clips onto a Black Rapid fastener underneath it, so I just unclip and put the camera on the tripod when using.

Newdevonian
23 Oct 2012 - 9:49 AM

Quote:
It depends on the tripod mount. I've got a 3 legged thing and the tripod plate stays on the camera.

I had to laugh. Ask a women to describe a tripod. At least she didn't say a Three Legged Thingy.
Ask a women to describe her car. "It's red!" GrinSmileGrinSmileGrinSmileGrin

Last Modified By Newdevonian at 23 Oct 2012 - 9:51 AM
whipspeed
whipspeed e2 Member 94039 forum postswhipspeed vcard United Kingdom22 Constructive Critique Points
23 Oct 2012 - 9:59 AM

LOL, That is the name of the tripod 3 Legged Thing

As for my car, well it is red, but it is a 2012 Ford Focus Estate, 2L Deisel 163ps. Smile

Last Modified By whipspeed at 23 Oct 2012 - 10:51 AM
Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318433 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
23 Oct 2012 - 10:28 AM

Quote: Ask a women to describe her car. "It's red!"

The most useful aspect when trying to find one in a huge car park - such as the NEC

Newdevonian
23 Oct 2012 - 11:01 AM

Quote: LOL, That is the name of the tripod 3 Legged Thing

As for my car, well it is red, but it is a 2012 Ford Focus Estate, 2L Deisel 163ps. Smile

Re the 3 legged thing, I stand corrected SmileSmile My ignorance on such matters points out that I am a man and happy to admit my mistakes SmileSmile

As for the car, you are now officially one of the lads! SmileSmileSmile

Last Modified By Newdevonian at 23 Oct 2012 - 11:03 AM
whipspeed
23 Oct 2012 - 11:32 AM

LOL, nice to see a man admitting his mistakes LOL Grin

I do admit to being more of one of the lads if driving hubbys Impreza though Smile

HarrietH
23 Oct 2012 - 11:45 AM

I love the name three-legged thingy. Wonderful. I am afraid my car is a Nissan four wheeled thingy but if my husband has a drink I then get hold of his BMW (I don't drink)the perfect wife for him. He does tell me to slow down all the time though.

JOBYian
JOBYian  1 United States
26 Oct 2012 - 7:02 AM

Hi there, I noticed this thread and would like to try to answer some questions here to give you an idea of why the strap is designed the way it is.

We interviewed a lot of female photographers to see what they wanted in a strap. One complaint was that most straps are designed for men and look like something a commando would wear. But the big takeaway was that every woman has a different shape and a different preference for where they want to put the camera on their body. One could definitely argue the same for men, but women feel it more acutely because of their “lady bumps” as someone so eloquently stated.

So, the top part of the strap is S-curved for the “bumps”. The strap length is shorter for women than men. We used some pretty interesting materials to make it lighter and less bulky. But the most important piece is the ability to secure the camera by pulling on the O-ring and the camera in opposite directions and placing the camera where you want on your body. Front, back, high, low. Up to you. This is universal to men and women.

The O-ring lets the strap rotate to where it feels the most comfortable for you, and the cinching mechanism keeps it in place pretty well for just general walking (you can lock it down with a camlock if you want it really secure). And then when you want to deploy the camera and raise it to your face, you can deploy it by just pulling the camera forward with one hand. No clips needed or using two hands or whatever. You can see the demo videos on our site to get a feel for it.

http://joby.com/camera-straps/ultrafit-sling-strap-for-women/

So, one photographer we know likes to secure the strap behind her back. Somebody else likes it secured more in front of her underneath her chest. Some like it at their hip. We think that’s what real comfort and peace of mind is about: putting the camera where *you* want and out of harm’s way.

One group of women that appreciate the strap in particular are mothers of young children. You have to chase your kid around for 2 minutes so you’d pull on the strap to secure your camera close to you without it swaying around while you corralled your kid. And then when you were ready for your shot, you just pulled the camera free to take the shot instantly, and then quickly re-secured it again to chase your kid around some more.

If you have any questions, let me know. I’ll try to answer them the best that I can.

KevSB
KevSB  101404 forum posts United Kingdom5 Constructive Critique Points
26 Oct 2012 - 7:37 AM

Much respect for taking the time to explain. And thankyou

HarrietH
26 Oct 2012 - 8:19 AM

Yes, thank you very much. Although I am still struggling with understanding the way you can switch to a tripod, as the original straps, in my case Nikon are to be removed.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.