Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Joby UltraFit Sling Strap for Women for DSLRs

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

JOBYian
JOBYian  1 United States
26 Oct 2012 - 9:02 AM

@HarrietH, the strap currently attaches to the tripod screw hole at the bottom of the camera. You'd have to unscrew the camera from the strap to place it on your tripod. We try to make it easy to attach (or remove) the camera strap securely with the fold-able thumbscrew at the 1/4-20" screw point.

We thought about putting in some sort of Arca Swiss compatible plate as part of the strap, but then the strap would be a *lot* more expensive. The strap was built more for the photographer-on-the-move than say a full-blown shoot (hence the emphasis on rapid securing of the camera and camera deployment) so we decided to pass on it to keep it more affordable. We might build some sort of tripod mount add-on as an accessory for the strap down the road though if the strap is popular enough.

One thing that I didn't make clear in my first post is that securing the camera where you want just basically means tightening it by pulling in opposite direction. There's a camlock on the actual strap that you can click in place *if* you really want to lock it down, but for normal short-distance walking, the camera mostly stays in place just by the tightening motion. Obviously, if you bend over fully at at the waist without locking it down, the camera will pull forward (since that is how you can deploy it by just pulling with one hand. If you wanted to do something this severe, you definitely want to lock it in place). But the camera can stay in position on its own for a decent amount of time just with the cinching which we think works well in a shoot-secure-shoot-secure type of setting like say event shooting or maybe you want to sit down on a bench so now you want to cinch it up high so your camera doesn't bang on the bench, etc.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
26 Oct 2012 - 9:02 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

HarrietH
HarrietH e2 Member 4264 forum postsHarrietH vcard Portugal
26 Oct 2012 - 10:32 AM

That sounds fine. I am a photographer on the go and it was really more of an academic question as I am more a handholder than a tripod person. I have a Jobygorillapod and a large tripod but to tell you the truth I don't use the large one as much as I should, so I don't think that is a very important point.
Harriet

HarrietH
2 Nov 2012 - 2:45 PM

Joby ultrafit v Blackrapid for women photographers.
Previously asked for advice about the Joby Ultrafit Sling Strap as I liked the idea of a strap that would take the weight off my neck. I decided to buy a Blackrapid RS-W1, mainly because that was the sling strap that I could buy from my usual photo supplier in the UK.
In the meantime the very nice Joby people contacted me and sent me a Joby Ultrafit strap to compare with the Blackrapid I had.
After a day shooting with both I have come to the conclusion that they are both very similar in the way they work. I was a little apprehensive about having my precious camera and various lenses hanging upside down from a screw, but I have to say both systems feel very secure. The Joby has a a red connector thumbscrew which folds down neatly and I have to admit that even though it makes no difference to the working of the strap the little red connector looks smart with my Nikon camera and is a nice touch.
I found both straps work extremely well, the camera hanging upside down keeps it ready for shooting. The first time I used both systems I found myself checking to see if the camera was secure, when I realized that it was I could relax and enjoy having my hands free.
The slight curve on the Joby Ultrafit strap and the more accentuated curve on the Blackrapid worked equally well. One difference is that the Joby strap can be worn on either the left shoulder or the right whereas the Blackrapid can only be worn on the left. For left-handed photographers this is an important detail to remember.
I have had fun using both straps and it was interesting having both systems to try and use. They are both light and padded.
To be honest I believe that the main difference between them is the price, the Joby being significantly cheaper than the Blackrapid. This can be perhaps be justified by the fact that the Joby has a very simple and efficient design and the Blackrapid has a few “touches” such as a pattern on the shoulder strap and the camera is secured by a screw and carabiner .

KevSB
KevSB  101407 forum posts United Kingdom5 Constructive Critique Points
2 Nov 2012 - 2:53 PM

Much respect to joby for giving you the opportunity, I'm very impressed the went to the trouble, sound like a fair revuew. Must admit when I was looking I had not heard of a joby version.
I think I said before that I have a small leather handgrip on mine as well which when moving use to stabilise the camera but definetly recomend this type of strap for comfort when you are carrying the camera over extended periods of time.
Thankyou for updating and letting us know how you got on, and well done joby

HarrietH
2 Nov 2012 - 3:17 PM

Joby really deserve much respect for this. My special thanks to Stephen Cheng who sent me the Joby UltraFit strap. Incidentally he sent it from the US on Friday afternoon and it was here being fitted to my camera Monday morning.
No one could expect better than this, they believe in their product and gave me the opportunity to try it for myself. Besides this strap designed for women there is one specifically for men.
No doubt about it, well done Joby.
Harriet

SlowSong
SlowSong e2 Member 64341 forum postsSlowSong vcard England28 Constructive Critique Points
2 Nov 2012 - 4:46 PM

I've watched the videos and the UltraFit Sling Strap for Women looks really comfortable, and a bit more professional. The ordinary straps rub my neck something awful and aren't that nice to use. I couldn't see any UK outlets so I presume we'd have to order from the US.

HarrietH
2 Nov 2012 - 5:28 PM

I am sure that the Joby people will see this and give you a link.
Harriet

JOBYian
JOBYian  1 United States
2 Nov 2012 - 6:17 PM

Thanks for the kind words, everyone. HarrietH did start the thread, and there were questions so we thought it'd be good to have a real-world test run! We know we're the new kids on the block ("aren't you the GorillaPod people?"), and the strap is a different approach than what you usually see. But our designers and engineers are photographers, and this is their spin on how a camera strap should work. They wanted to quickly and securely place the camera where they wanted but still deploy fast, they didn't want their shoulder piece moving around all the time or the camera starting to slowly unscrew as it bumps against you, etc.

Quote: I've watched the videos and the UltraFit Sling Strap for Women looks really comfortable, and a bit more professional. The ordinary straps rub my neck something awful and aren't that nice to use. I couldn't see any UK outlets so I presume we'd have to order from the US.

Hi SlowSong, the UK should be getting straps in to our UK retail partners sometime later in November, I think. You can email info@daymen.co.uk to see which partner will be getting stock and when. You can order at joby.com, but it ships out of the US though.

I think a lot of camera strap manufacturers equate camera straps for women as meaning pretty, colorful straps, but we're hoping that there are a lot of women out there who prize performance and comfort more.

HarrietH
2 Nov 2012 - 6:31 PM

Well I certainly do like to feel comfortable, there is nothing nice about an aching neck. You mentioned something that I forgot to say something about, the Joby UltraFit stays put whereas the Blackrapid does slip a little. No one can say that I don't like comfort. LOL.
Harriet

SlowSong
SlowSong e2 Member 64341 forum postsSlowSong vcard England28 Constructive Critique Points
2 Nov 2012 - 8:01 PM

Thank you JOBYian. I'll certainly look into that.
Smile

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.