Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Joint Care Supplements for Dogs

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
lawbert
lawbert  71713 forum posts England15 Constructive Critique Points
30 Dec 2012 - 6:10 PM

It seems a peculiar place to post a request for any info on joint care supplements for dogs but the Epz forums have never let me down for helpSmile

Colin

Is showing his age now at roughly 13 years old and is getting a little stiff in his joints and Im looking for a product that may help him a little.

Ive researched loads and I know we should go to the vets to ask but he does so hate the vets and we had to visit them last week after he had a small seizure and we really dont want to go back again unless totally needed...The stress isnt good for him...or me!!

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
30 Dec 2012 - 6:10 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

whipspeed
whipspeed e2 Member 104040 forum postswhipspeed vcard United Kingdom22 Constructive Critique Points
30 Dec 2012 - 6:22 PM

Normal cod liver oil capsules are probably as good as anything or just a teaspoon of it on his dinner. I used to feed the whippets on purina pro plan for active dogs which is preserved with vitamin E oil as well which seemed to help.

213hardy
213hardy e2 Member 6546 forum posts213hardy vcard England
30 Dec 2012 - 6:23 PM

There are loads on the market but try Glucosamine or MSM, also a product called joint aid which we found pretty good. Should be able to get any of these from your local pet shop or vet.

Hope that helps

Den

lawbert
30 Dec 2012 - 6:47 PM

Thank you Sarah and DenSmileWink

edtaylor
edtaylor  3104 forum posts United Kingdom
30 Dec 2012 - 6:50 PM

Yes I was going to say cod liver oil maybe wrap it in a piece of sliced ham, or poke it in a small knob of buttter, all tricks I have used on my dogs in the past.
Have a look on the zipvit website. it is primarily for human "vitamins" but they do an animal range too.

lawbert
30 Dec 2012 - 7:00 PM

Thank you Ed, I shall have a look now...A thumbfull of pate always works for usSmile

franken
franken e2 Member 113108 forum postsfranken vcard Wales4 Constructive Critique Points
30 Dec 2012 - 7:19 PM

I get supplements for myself from here and they also do pet stuff.

http://www.zipvit.co.uk/cgi-bin/vitcart1.pl?innerpage&cartnumber=5439z&c...

Ken

edtaylor
edtaylor  3104 forum posts United Kingdom
30 Dec 2012 - 7:39 PM

Cheers for the web address franken. Their shop is in Rugely Staffordshire, not far from Lichfield if that is any help. I have been there many times for my supplements.

Last Modified By edtaylor at 30 Dec 2012 - 7:40 PM
lawbert
30 Dec 2012 - 7:47 PM

Thank You Ken, Much appreciated indeedSmileSmile

Hali
Hali  344 forum posts Scotland
30 Dec 2012 - 8:12 PM

Different things help different dogs - I've tried glucosamine on my dogs with no benefit, but know other people who swear by it.

My favourite natural product for my older collie is Green Lipped Mussel extract. This has been proved to have natural anti-inflammatory properties (i.e. same as Metacam/rymadyl that the vet would probably give you, but without the potential negative side attacks).

It does take a little while (3 or 4 weeks) to kick in and even then, you might not find it works for you dog, but it has done wonders for mine (after the first bottle was finished, I didn't replace it straight away - within a week she was back to being very stiff again).

oh, and you can open the capsule and just sprinkle it on their dinner

Shop on line or in natural supplement shops - I don't buy a special canine version. I use the 350mg ones.

Last Modified By Hali at 30 Dec 2012 - 8:14 PM
lawbert
30 Dec 2012 - 9:11 PM

Many Many Thanks for the info HaliSmileSmile

KathyW
KathyW  111793 forum posts Norfolk Island12 Constructive Critique Points
30 Dec 2012 - 9:25 PM

My collies have Vetzyme Hi strength flexible joint tablets, and that seems to suit them pretty well. They are fed on Baileys Working Dog bites which actually has green lipped mussel extract in it.

Jet has long term joints/ligament problems, but seems better on the hi-stength vetzyme tablets. Fly is also getting a little stiff so she has them as well now.

Another thing which I think helped Jet a lot was changing his bedding to vetbed. It's quite expensive but is very nice for them to lie on, and the cats love it too Smile It is expensive, but I got a big roll at a discount price and there are now bits of vetbed all over the house and the kennels are carpeted out with it! My pups used to be kennelled winter and summer, but now they are older they sleep indoors in winter, even though I think they still prefer the kennel!

That's a lovely dog you have there, I hope the seizure wasn't too serious and that he won't have to visit the vet again...

vetcameraman
31 Dec 2012 - 12:20 AM

Hi Colin,

I've PM'd a longer answer, but I'd be careful on Cod Liver oil supplements in quantity, despite many people using them.

Regards,

Martin

Metalhead
Metalhead  61866 forum posts England2 Constructive Critique Points
31 Dec 2012 - 10:36 AM

Private Messages are great but they don't help anyone else reading this who may make good use of the advice for their own pets. Smile

I'm guessing the "vet" bit in your username gives a clue to your profession and maybe you can back me up on my suggestion of Cortaflex Solution? We've been using (here's the full title!) "Super Strength Canine & Feline Cortaflex Solution Veterinary Strength" for a few years now on our now-14-year-old collie cross. It's "fortified with Hyaluronic Acid" and uses the "unique formulation of the smaller key active isolates of Chondroitin and Glucosamine".

She's still a fairly active old gal so when she's had a good run around she can still be quite stiff the next day but I'm sure the Cortaflex is helping her, and it comes in a brown liquid which I usually mix in with her food and she eats it quite easily.

Last Modified By Metalhead at 31 Dec 2012 - 10:37 AM
KathyW
KathyW  111793 forum posts Norfolk Island12 Constructive Critique Points
31 Dec 2012 - 11:48 AM

Yes, it would be interesting to read Martin's views on cod liver oil as it is a popular supplement for humans and other animals too.

Jet has also had a couple of courses of Cartrophen injections but hasn't needed them for several years now. They worked well, but possibly not a good idea for a dog that hates vets as it involves four weekly jabs...

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.