Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Jpeg or Raw?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

loweskid
loweskid  132042 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
11 Jun 2007 - 8:03 PM

Quote: again don't keep the original Raw file

With the low price of storage these day I find that an extraordinary thing to do. Did you throw your negatives away once you had the prints?

Raw every time for me - I once forgot to reset my camera to daylight and spent a whole morning outside with it set to tungsten. A very easy matter to correct with the raw files, a matter of minutes for a whole card full, but just out of interest I converted one to a jpeg and tried to correct it. Nightmare - I gave up after half an hour.

By the way, anyone using Nikon NEF files can have the advantage of the raw+jpeg option without using up extra space on the card. The jpeg is embedded within the NEF file whether or not you select the option to save it separately. Just use the raw setting then once you've downloaded the files to your computer you can extract the jpeg with Preview Extractor. (PC only though, I think).

Last Modified By loweskid at 11 Jun 2007 - 8:05 PM
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
11 Jun 2007 - 8:03 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014152 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
11 Jun 2007 - 8:11 PM

I can't believe people don't keep the original raw file. I have made mistakes on the processed files and only noticed them when the image was printed bigger than A3. The processed files all had the error on them so i went back to the raw file and did it again - if I didn't have the raws I would have had to throw them away.

Tandberg
Tandberg  111218 forum posts England2 Constructive Critique Points
11 Jun 2007 - 8:14 PM

Keep the Raw File
Its the origional as stated.
Chris saving as a tiff on a final worked on image is fine,but to say get rid of the raw is not good advice.
As stated earlier its like a negative,or slide mate and you would not throw them away would you.
Dave

Adrian_Reynolds
13 Jun 2007 - 8:27 AM

Rjlee, RAW will allow you to do so much more than jpeg, especially with new HDR software now becoming more available. Keeping a RAW file is like keeping a negative, one good photo can become several good photos all with different white balance, tone, etc "albeit of the same scene" but as you get better with the software you will appreciate why some only use RAW.
Modern cameras also take excellent jpeg files but you might delete a great scene for the want of a white balance tweak or some HDR work.

They are a bit slower to take and download, that never bothers me, what's the rush?

Adrian

jjmills
jjmills  9153 forum posts Scotland
13 Jun 2007 - 8:33 AM

When I started out in Digital I thought jpeg was the way but just has been said RAW is the digital negative and lets you do so much more.

I have had shots where the flash hasn't recycled in time the jpeg was dark and nothing can be done but with the RAW file I could make the correct adjustments to get a good image.

I shoot both RAW and JPEG and just use jpeg as a preview.

Hope that helps.

John

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.