Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

JPEG size

brrttpaul 3 203 United Kingdom
16 Jul 2012 6:06PM
Hi all, I have tosubmit photographs bigger than 24mb in jpeg form, I take all my photos in RAW then edit them in Lightroom but they are under 24mb how do I change this?. To be honest I dont know what is going on as its a site for selling your pictures and when I read the help page it says "under 24 mb" then on the next paragraph "over 24mb". Anyway tried submitting some and it came back error files have to be over 24 mb. Surely this is huge? how would Igo about saving them to 24mb in lightroom?
Cheers
Paul

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

mikehit e2
5 7.1k 11 United Kingdom
16 Jul 2012 6:31PM
Who are you submitting photos to? 24MB in JPEG will be about 100MB in RAW!!
sandwedge 8 843 1 United Kingdom
16 Jul 2012 6:33PM
A 24 meg jpg is really huge. It is maybe that for printing purposes the resolution should be changed from 72 dpi to 300 dpi. That will have the effect of increasing the size of the file but it will take forever to upload and you will need an ftp address for the recipient. I am no expert on sending files so maybe someone else will have a better idea.
User_Removed 10 3.3k 4 United Kingdom
16 Jul 2012 6:46PM

Quote:It is maybe that for printing purposes the resolution should be changed from 72 dpi to 300 dpi. That will have the effect of increasing the size of the file but it will take forever to upload

Totally bad advice. Read This Page
llareggub 4 756 United Kingdom
16 Jul 2012 6:48PM
I think you are refering to Alamy... Their documentation is really poorly written but JPEG files do not require to be over 24MB, the 24MB reference is aimed at uncompressed TIFF files, I did start submitting with them and have had no rejections as yet but need to pull my finger out and submit the rest but coding metadata on Alamy takes forever.

Good luck Smile
16 Jul 2012 7:27PM
Hi everyone thx for the help, yes I am referring to alamy, just cant work it out at all.
16 Jul 2012 7:47PM
You can submit your JPEG as normal, the 24MB thing refers to 8 bit TIFF files... Just submit as JPEG in as close to native resolution as possible and you will have no issues, or I certainly did not 6 months ago shooting with a 12MP canon 450D Smile
16 Jul 2012 7:49PM
well I will try again but it didnt work last time.
16 Jul 2012 7:51PM
just tried it and it says "rejected uncompresed file must be larger than 24mb" i give up
16 Jul 2012 7:59PM
They must have changed then... When you process your RAW file rather than save as JPEG save as TIFF 8 BIT file with no compression.
16 Jul 2012 8:03PM
OK I have just re read and for the QC process you now have to submit uncompressed TIFF files, I've just done a brief test with a RAW file from my 50D and it comes out as 43MB, uploading will take you a while but it is easy enough to do... Just File>Save As>Tiff... Then upload Smile
16 Jul 2012 8:20PM
Thanks very much I will try it again, much appreciated
tomcat e2
9 6.2k 15 United Kingdom
16 Jul 2012 11:19PM
Is it worth the effortWink
cats_123 e2
10 4.2k 25 Northern Ireland
16 Jul 2012 11:47PM

Quote:OK I have just re read and for the QC process you now have to submit uncompressed TIFF files, I've just done a brief test with a RAW file from my 50D and it comes out as 43MB, uploading will take you a while but it is easy enough to do... Just File>Save As>Tiff... Then upload Smile

you don't submit `tiff' files...just jpegs

"Typically a 24MB 8 bit file will be between 1MB and 5MB as a Jpeg if your image was shot digitally". Are you using digital?

here's the full script

The only other points to watch are that the images need to be unsharpened....and if you're using the newsfeed, captions have to be added before upload..this can be done in Lightroom.

Whether it's worth it remains to be seen
17 Jul 2012 6:17AM
gave up on it as cats said it has to be jpeg and i got no idea how to upload them

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.