Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Judging and constructive comments.

MalcolmS e2
9 1.1k 13 England
17 Mar 2009 12:04PM

Quote:People used to leave meaningless comments to "register" their vote

however, now E2 members can see who's voted on each shot, so there's no need to leave a meaningless comment - you can just vote and know that the recipient knows you voted.

Yes but it doesn't register on your gallery when a vote was added. So you invariably lose track of how many votes you have. If you comment, it tells the receiver not only that they have received a vote but the date that the comment was made, so it stands out, particularly if the shot is quite old.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

ade_mcfade e2
10 15.1k 216 England
17 Mar 2009 12:06PM
well I'd never thought of it that way - you could just write

12:05, tuesday 17th march

I guess
MalcolmS e2
9 1.1k 13 England
17 Mar 2009 12:20PM
Or nice light
joolsb e2
10 27.1k 38 Switzerland
17 Mar 2009 12:53PM
Ade's suggestion might be more honest.... Wink
MalcolmS e2
9 1.1k 13 England
17 Mar 2009 1:01PM
Since when did honesty creep into comments.
No let's not go there!
ade_mcfade e2
10 15.1k 216 England
17 Mar 2009 1:06PM

Quote:Since when did honesty creep into comments.
No let's not go there!

mine are pretty honest these days Smile

may not have been 4.5 years ago though... Wink
joolsb e2
10 27.1k 38 Switzerland
17 Mar 2009 1:11PM
Yes, well. I'm always honest in my commenting. If I hate it, I say nothing. If I can see how it might be improved I do a critique and if I like it then I give due praise.

And if it's another picture of Southwold-bl**dy-Pier or Rannoch-s*dding-Moor, I usually end up having to be coaxed out from under the table by a nice man with a hypodermic and a strait-jacket under his arm..... Grin
riprap007 e2
10 1.6k 37 England
17 Mar 2009 1:16PM
ROLF Jools
17 Mar 2009 7:21PM
'Aunt Mabel' is a human being with feelings, hopes and aspirations like are the rest of us. They maybe different aspirations to arty photographers and probably centre on her family.

A rock is just a bit of rock, no matter how aesthetically photographed, when all is said and done.

And will still be there when 'Aunt Mabel' has passed on.

On balance I prefer the picture of 'Aunt Mabel'.

Remembered fondly, slightly out of focus.
jas
Xiaoli e2
6 661 14 South Africa
17 Mar 2009 8:29PM
well that is all true if you know Aunt Mabel but if you don't . . . . .

The rock on the other hand can compliment a kitchen with granite finish, provide a stark architectural punctuation in a minimalist design, be a counterfoil to a flower, provide a natural element in an otherwise modernist design . . . .
17 Mar 2009 8:36PM
Alright if that stuff takes you...........
NEWMANP e2
6 1.6k 574 United Kingdom
17 Mar 2009 8:38PM

Quote:if it's another picture of Southwold-bl**dy-Pier

i just booked 4 days in a Southwold seafront b&b, im going to feel ever so guilty now if i get up and want to take a sunrise, Wink
Phil
17 Mar 2009 9:01PM
It's all been done before...........
NEWMANP e2
6 1.6k 574 United Kingdom
17 Mar 2009 9:09PM

Quote:It's all been done before

i know but it just has to be done. its that little voice inside that says this one will be the best ever.
Phil Wink
SuziBlue e2
12 16.2k 10 Scotland
17 Mar 2009 9:34PM
It's about mood for me, and whether it moves me at all. A rock or a tree doesn't, by and large. A picture of Auntie Mabel usually does, by and large.

Mind you, there are similarities between a rock / tree and Auntie Mabel if they're simply record shots with no thought for lighting, composition or interpretation, and also if they're shots that show careful thought, sensitive interpretation and detail. But I have to say the photographer of the rock or the tree has to work harder to engage me otherwise it's simply a rock. Or a tree. Because otherwise, for me, it's a "so what" picture.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.