Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Judging the Weekly Challenge

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Members Only

You must be logged in or registered to join a group
cattyal
cattyal e2 Member 96030 forum postscattyal vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
15 Feb 2013 - 12:38 PM

I would add that the only real difficulty this week was the fact that the exif info showed the day before the challenge was set. As it turns out this was simply an unfortunate error and everything was fine. In retrospect quite a few of the entries show no useful exif data so many of them could have been taken ages ago and I'd be none the wiser.

That said, there is no point in anyone uploading old shots so that would be an unlikely occurrence - and kinda negate the whole challenge bit!

I'm inclined to stick to the current system - it was only my indecision this week that messed things up a wee bit but on the whole it all works just fine. However I'm happy just to go with the flow.....ie I'll sit on the fence and let everyone else decide Smile

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
15 Feb 2013 - 12:38 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

JawDborn
JawDborn e2 Member 2728 forum postsJawDborn vcard England
15 Feb 2013 - 12:55 PM

Thanks, Al.
You didn't mess things up at all, Al. You took a decision, and out of the goodness of your heart explained your decision, for which you have my respect. You then showed your excellent diplomatic skillsSmile.

Have a great weekend!

Jack

SlowSong
SlowSong e2 Member 64345 forum postsSlowSong vcard England28 Constructive Critique Points
16 Feb 2013 - 7:57 AM

When I judge I'll sometimes pick the technically best photograph, but other times maybe there's more "personality", originality or fun demonstrated in another that I prefer, so I'll choose that one. We each have our own preferences and the challenge is just a bit of fun, so I say keep it the same. Don't think I could be bothered to give everyone a score then go for the highest mark, which may not turn out to be my favourite so I wouldn't vote for it anyway. Grin

TBH, if Ali had just gone for Jude's pic and not said anything then no-one would've given it a second thought, but as it happened my camera came back from the menders with the date set a day behind where they'd taken the battery out and I hadn't noticed. So I'm much happier that that was sorted than win a challenge. It could've gone on for years otherwise and all my pics would've been recorded wrongly. Smile

SlowSong
SlowSong e2 Member 64345 forum postsSlowSong vcard England28 Constructive Critique Points
16 Feb 2013 - 8:54 AM

PS: Further to the above I was surprised, as Ali mentioned, that many pics don't show any exif data. Perhaps we should disqualify any pics that don't show the data, not that I'm accusing anyone of cheating or anything, but it just clarifies matters and demonstrates a level playing field.

Gypsyman
Gypsyman e2 Member 3659 forum postsGypsyman vcard England
16 Feb 2013 - 9:35 AM

I also think that entries should show they are taken within the set times, each member who enters should check that their camera is showing the correct date if not
re-set it and take the shot again. sadly it is easy to scan an old capture and put it on as this then does not show the old date. Eric.

JawDborn
16 Feb 2013 - 10:53 AM

Thank you for your valuable comments, Chris and Eric.SmileSmileSmile
IM not knowledgeable about removing or inserting exif data. Is it done in camera or is it done on computer? i would certainly support the suggestion that exif data including date be shown.
And any person trying to pull a fast one deserves to be pitied. The group is for enjoyment of meeting a fresh challenge and enjoyment your own and other members' photography, win or lose.

Gypsyman
Gypsyman e2 Member 3659 forum postsGypsyman vcard England
16 Feb 2013 - 11:07 AM

Jack. I am no wizkid, but would say all the info comes from the Camera, because it shows the camera settings, date and time and if flash has fired. Eric.

JawDborn
16 Feb 2013 - 11:21 AM

Thanks, Eric. I agree with Chris and Eric. Any comments/ views from other members?

Jack

SlowSong
16 Feb 2013 - 11:22 AM

Quote: it is easy to scan an old capture and put it on as this then does not show the old date.

Desperate times call for desperate measures. Grin

Or even re-photograph an old photograph. Huh, now why didn't I think of that before. ! Wink

Last Modified By SlowSong at 16 Feb 2013 - 11:26 AM
petebfrance
16 Feb 2013 - 11:34 AM

The EXIF information is an interesting problem.

When I do show it on a photo it has been entered manually, not uploaded from the photo / camera itself.

This is because the photo is not the original, but modified using PaintshopPro7. I keep the unmodified version, which of course still has the EXIF info. The mod could be anything from resizing, converting to B&W etc. but Psp7 does not carry the Exif info across - in fact I have no idea how I could get the stuff across, other than saving the changes back to the original file. I get the information from looking at the data on the Windows thingummy (Windows Gallery?).

EXIF data can be added / changed here on EPZ by 'editing' the photo, so EXIF info showing the correct date is no guarantee.

Last Modified By petebfrance at 16 Feb 2013 - 11:38 AM
JawDborn
16 Feb 2013 - 11:44 AM

I'm far too busy dodging meteorites, horsemeat, H-bombs and the washing-up to do things like that, Chris.Grin

Snapper
Snapper  93731 forum posts United States Minor Outlying Islands3 Constructive Critique Points
16 Feb 2013 - 11:50 AM

Quote: Thank you for your valuable comments, Chris and Eric.SmileSmileSmile
IM not knowledgeable about removing or inserting exif data. Is it done in camera or is it done on computer? i would certainly support the suggestion that exif data including date be shown.
And any person trying to pull a fast one deserves to be pitied. The group is for enjoyment of meeting a fresh challenge and enjoyment your own and other members' photography, win or lose.

Ever since I got my first computer and digital camera 11 years ago I have used "save for web" after processing a photo for posting on the web, which strips out the exif data. After a comment one time on the Challenge I now have to save it differently solely for here, which is hardly a huge effort, but is still something else to be remembered. I use a number of different cameras as well as a phone, but only my work camera and the phone are likely to have the date set because it is an utter irrelevance as far as I'm concerned.

One more thought. We had a comparatively good number of entries this past week, but that was still just 13 from the 232 in the group and the thousands on the site. Maybe we should be discussing how to make it easier to join in, rather than tightening up the rules to win ............. errmm, nothing. How very British. Sad

JawDborn
16 Feb 2013 - 11:55 AM

Thanks, PeteSmile I seem to have a neolithic, or even mesolithic, knowledge of camera technologies.
Looks like we'll have to scrub the idea of insisting on relevant exif data.

Best wishes,

Jack

SlowSong
16 Feb 2013 - 12:05 PM

Quote: I'm far too busy dodging meteorites, horsemeat, H-bombs and the washing-up to do things like that, Chris.

In my case, eating chocolate. Grin

chavender
chavender e2 Member 3210 forum postschavender vcard France1 Constructive Critique Points
16 Feb 2013 - 2:22 PM

For me, it`s the challenge of producing an image to a theme that`s important, together with seeing how others have interpreted the same theme.

Quote: The group is for enjoyment of meeting a fresh challenge and enjoyment your own and other members' photography, win or lose.

The judging as it stands can only be subjective and one persons viewpoint.
I would like to see things staying pretty much "as is" with perhaps the judge expanding on his/her reasons for choosing the winner.

As already mentioned, the EXIF data may come from a camera where the date is incorrect and can also easily be changed so we have to rely on people playing by the rules.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.