Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Judging the Weekly Challenge

16 Feb 2013 2:49PM
Dear everyone

I haven't been on for a while and just returned to see the suggestion and comments regarding voting and a new system.
Like has been mentioned before there are other sites that have a similar method where everyone votes and yes there is a delay in getting the result and people vote for each other etc .....

When I am able to take part I have because its a bit of fun each week to make me get the camera out and try something different.

I like the current system for that reason and would prefer it to stay but on the other hand would leave if it changed.

I guess I am just a traditional English man who doesn't like change !!!

Regards

Darren

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

JawDborn e2
2 793 1 England
16 Feb 2013 3:29PM
Welcome comments, Darren Thank you. Hope to "see" you soon!

Cheers,

Jack
JawDborn e2
2 793 1 England
16 Feb 2013 3:32PM
Bon jour, Bill.Smile Good to have your comments.Thank you

I hope all is well with you.

Best wishes,

Jack
cattyal e2
9 6.4k 6 England
17 Feb 2013 10:50AM
Actually yesterday my exif was all knackered. I was trying out a friends camera and realised the date said 2011. I corrected it - so I thought - and then realised it's actually 2013 now - not 2012 Smile
petebfrance 2 1.3k United Kingdom
17 Feb 2013 11:16AM

Quote:Actually yesterday my exif was all knackered. I was trying out a friends camera and realised the date said 2011. I corrected it - so I thought - and then realised it's actually 2013 now - not 2012 Smile

I uploaded a totally unchanged picture (for a changeSmile) yesterday so it had the EXIF - which showed the photo had been taken 7th February 2005 at 16 minutes to midnight. Checking the info on the computer it says created on 16th Feb 2013 and modified 7th February 2005, but it was really created on the 14th February, unmodified but last accessed on 16th Feb. Computers TongueTongueTongueTongueTongueTongueTongue.
17 Feb 2013 3:30PM
Dear all

Just re read my comment from yesterday and just realised my mistake. I just want to clarify it should be wouldn't want to leave.

Glad I cleared that up !!!

Darren
JawDborn e2
2 793 1 England
17 Feb 2013 5:08PM
Phew!Grin
JawDborn e2
2 793 1 England
18 Feb 2013 6:55PM
I'll summarise tomorrow evening folks. Any more contributions?

Jack
Wilco54 e2
2 150 1 Luxembourg
18 Feb 2013 8:04PM

Quote:I'll summarise tomorrow evening folks. Any more contributions?

Jack

Hi Jack, I think the thoughts prompted a lively debate which was good but my view is that we should stick with the current system as it works well and is quite quick to get to a result even if teh actual judging process can be a bit of a nightmare and remain somewhat subjective - its still fun and it still works!

Hope I didnt waste anyone's time!
Chris
JawDborn e2
2 793 1 England
18 Feb 2013 9:03PM
Thanks, Chris. It's good to hear from you again.
I'm sure we all have appreciated the opportunity to discuss matters, and to think of ways to enhance our enjoyment of the challenges. Some important points have been raised. Also I've been educated about some technical matters.: So thank you on behalf of all of us for posting the topic.

Hope all is well with you in your part of the world.

Cheers,

Jack
Jestertheclown 6 6.6k 242 England
18 Feb 2013 10:11PM
You want my opinion?

Leave the judging as it is.

Voting, in any form, will cause more problems than it solves. Look at the way votes are abused in the main gallery. There are people on the site who could arrive for the challenge and bring fifty or so voters with them. And they won't be voting for you.
Likewise, scoring points will eventually lead to someone feeling that they've been, at best, overlooked, or at worst, deliberately outscored. That point about the voters applies here too.
A system whereby the challenge finishes a day later each week will just confuse people. It's hard enough to get people to remember it takes place on a Wednesday as it is.
With regard to everyone having taken the shot within the specified time; it's easy to end up with the wrong date in your camera. I know some Sonys, for example, need to be reset if the battery runs out. Even my Nikon once started displaying an erroneous date for no reason that I'm aware of.
You'll all just need to check that it's correct before you take your shot. I'm absolutely certain that no-one's cheating but don't leave yourself open to suspicion.
KISS, as they say. It's not complicated and it works as it is.

Bren.
chavender e2
4 224 1 France
18 Feb 2013 10:26PM
I think rule no 1 sums it up!

Bill
JawDborn e2
2 793 1 England
19 Feb 2013 12:16AM
A late night decko on the iPad! Great comments, Bren and Bill. Smile seems everyone's on the same wavelength. Terrific!

Jack
JawDborn e2
2 793 1 England
19 Feb 2013 8:48PM
That’s it, folks. The lines are now closed and the scores are in. The group has decided without demur to keep the present system of selecting challenge winners. i.e. the judge using his or her subjective judgement when choosing a winner. For me, the unpredictability of who’s going to win adds to the fun.
Other points have been raised, which I’ll reiterate, and also make some additional comments for the benefit of newer and potential members.

Check your own exif data.
When judging, keep an eye out for new members’ entries that appear- inadvertently or otherwise- to have been taken before the challenge was announced. Gently point out to them the error of their ways.
When posting the challenge and rules please note that rules were amended a month or two ago, allowing comments to be made both before and after the challenge winner is announced.
The amended rules are as follows.

The Challenge Rules:

1. The challenge is just for fun.
2. All images must be taken after the theme is announced[/b].
3. All images must be uploaded by 8pm on Wednesday..... (date)
4. All uploads must be B&W
5. Only one upload per member
6. The person who hosts is the judge for that week challenge and the judge’s decision is final
7. The winner gets to create, run and judge the challenge for the following week

NEW MEMBERS please note RULE 2
....................................................................................................................................................
If posting rules as you announce the new challenge, please add the footnote about new members needing to heed rule 2. And please remember to insert the new closing date-it’s so easy to forget to do so!
As Anne pointed out in earlier discussions, comments may give members the encouragement to keep participating in challenges. Comments also help ‘publicise’ the group in the “Latest Activity” column. Comments in the forums (topics) also help give the group publicity in the main forums.
However, if your entry receives no comments, rest assured that your efforts and entry have been appreciated and have added to the enjoyment of other members!
Thank you, Chris (Wilco54), for initiating the discussions, and thank you to those members who have made the valuable comments to this topic.
Finally, remember Bill’s apt comment made last night: “I think rule no. 1 sums it up!”

Jack
Jestertheclown 6 6.6k 242 England
19 Feb 2013 9:10PM
Just as a footnote; what's the theme for this week's challenge?

It's half term, so I'm not at work. You never know, I might even enter!

B.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.