Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Judging the Weekly Challenge

JawDborn e2
2 793 1 England
19 Feb 2013 9:19PM
Dereliction and Decay, Bren. SP perhaps?Grin

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

DalesLass e2
3 2.2k United Kingdom
19 Feb 2013 9:33PM
I completely missed all of this as I've been a bit busy.......

...very pleased having read through it all to see that judging will remain as is. I think it's nice that the judge is different each week as they then bring their own judging criteria to the competition. I believe this results in more people standing a chance of having their image selected as we will all look for different things in an image.

The task for this selection falls to me tomorrow evening and I'm very much looking forward to seeing everyone's images. The theme as already mentioned is Deriliction and Decay, so get snapping and uploading if you haven't already. Smile

Jude
Jestertheclown 6 6.6k 242 England
19 Feb 2013 9:41PM

Quote:Dereliction and Decay, Bren. SP perhaps?Grin

I sometimes feel that way Jack!

Actually I'm going to St. Albans tomorrow with Chloe, my 11 year old. I haven't been there for ages so I'm not sure that I'll find a great deal of dereliction or decay. Now, if Id been going to Luton . . .
20 Feb 2013 9:28PM
Personally I think the current system is ok as there is limited time to judge and then set next weeks challenge. One thing could make it easier in the future if each picture carried a star rating chart underneath it which the judge could activate, say between zero and 8 stars, the 8 being best, so the winner and everyone else can see how they all rated. I would like to see this on all galleries, but this one is only operable by the judge as it`s a competition.

Paddy.
20 Feb 2013 10:53PM
The star rating would be abused in the same way that votes or awarding points would be abused, Paddy.
20 Feb 2013 11:33PM
that`s a bit negative, nothing ventured, nothing gained!
20 Feb 2013 11:43PM
Not really Paddy. I believe there was once a similar 'scoring' type of system ion here and it got dropped.
The problem with anything that seemingly indicates that a particular image is better than another will be abused.
Look at the way the 'click-cliques' blindly vote for each others shots. If points or stars; any kind of merit, was made available, they'd use that instead.
It doesn't mater too much in the main gallery, it's just a bit silly but if one of them uploaded an image to the challenge and their mates moved in, then no-one uploading a genuine entry would get a look in.

B.
21 Feb 2013 12:15AM
in the challenge the rules would state only the judge could touch them, anyone else and they are disqualified. the click -cliques are all on the main gallery-a real pain in the arse! Any if you don`t like it, fair enough, it was just a thought to add to the whirl!
JawDborn e2
2 793 1 England
21 Feb 2013 11:43AM
To my mind, giving star ratings is another form of voting- preference voting. Members have considered and then rejected voting. I'm sure members now want to move on, and get back to the serious business of having fun.
Gypsyman e2
4 660 England
21 Feb 2013 1:43PM
If I remember Correctly making comment on an entry was not allowed until after the Judging had taken place, it would appear looking through the last 3 subjects,
that comments are now being made, some soon after the photograph as been uploaded.
21 Feb 2013 1:46PM
Hi Eric,
Yep, the rules have been changed.
Gypsyman e2
4 660 England
21 Feb 2013 1:49PM
Jester, Do you think it is a change for the Better ?
petebfrance 2 1.3k United Kingdom
21 Feb 2013 1:51PM

Quote:If I remember Correctly making comment on an entry was not allowed until after the Judging had taken place, it would appear looking through the last 3 subjects,
that comments are now being made, some soon after the photograph as been uploaded.

I think some of the comments (well, at least the first one on mine as the person who made it is not a member of this group....) are being made through the main gallery, so if the photo is on the main gallery as well on the group gallery perhaps it's possible that it can pick up comments at any time?
AnneWorner e2
7 618 43 United States
21 Feb 2013 1:53PM
I don't think that anyone judging will be swayed by a comment being made on a photo before it is judged - this discussion went on at length and the consensus was that we could comment. Comments are nice to get, and a majority will not bother to comment afterwards.

IMHO it is a change for the better, generating more participation.
21 Feb 2013 1:56PM
I don't really have an opinion one way or the other Eric.
The subject of commenting before the judging took place was discussed here and the general consensus was that no-one really minded.
The comments didn't ought to cloud the judgment of the person judging; they'll need to base their decision on their own views. In fact, I think I'd be right in saying that a couple of the judges have deliberately not read any of the comments until after they'd reached and announced a decision.

Bren.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.