Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Just before I do; I thought I'd Check.

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Mozzytheboy
Mozzytheboy e2 Member 4550 forum postsMozzytheboy vcard United Kingdom3 Constructive Critique Points
30 Dec 2013 - 5:28 PM

Got my heart set on a Canon 7D to replace my Canon 500D. I feel it is a decent step onwards for me. Then as I switched the light out last night I got to thinking and wondered if the new 70D may be a better buy? I know the 7D has the magnesium body but it also has an ageing sensor. Both are within pounds of one another and it would seem that the rumours for a Canon 7D MKII have been vastly exagerated and December 2014 is now not on the cards for the MK II; hence why I would like the 7D with the software upgrade of late.

I've tried a 7D and it is pretty darned good I must admit. I've several lenses so don't fancy changing to NIKON or any other make. Eventually I will add a 5D MK III, but that is a long way off right now. The cropped sensor of the 7D does what I want.

I ask regarding the choice of 70D or 7D as my goal is for a camera that can produce nice clear images.

Can't think of anything to else to say other than THANK YOU for all the help I had from you in 2013. I made many purchases based upon many recommendations and I've been delighted Smile

Mozzy

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
30 Dec 2013 - 5:28 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

mikehit
mikehit  56692 forum posts United Kingdom11 Constructive Critique Points
30 Dec 2013 - 5:55 PM

I have thought about swapping my 7D for a 70D and decided it just isn't worth it. From reviews and comparisons I have read, the 70D has the swivel screen, has about 2/3 stop better ISO performance though some say that the 70D has about 1.5 stop better shadow recovery without artefacts (but the verdict seems to be out on this). If video is important to you it has better video performance and maintains AF in video mode (the 7D video is purely manual focus).
The 70D has the same AF system as the 7D but apparently some minor functions (I don't now which) have been crippled - but if you've never had them maybe you won't miss them and because the basic AF performs the same, don't be put off by that.
Early comments on the 70D AF is that the dual contrast AF+phase detect AF increases the hit rate of AF compared to the 7D on static subjects (but the two cameras are equally sharp when they are both in focus). I haven't seen anything that suggests it improves tracking focus on moving subjects.

I have decided to stay with the 7D because the movable screen would be the only real benefit for me (I don't shoot video other than a 'quick record') and as I have DSLR controller on my tablet that is a good substitute.
If I was buying new, I would be highly tempted by the 70D and spend the difference on glass.

With modern polymers, I think this talk about 'more rugged magnesium chassis' is marketing guff in the same bracket as '5 additional MP'. Unless you are a pro out in all weathers really abusing your equipment. Remember the Typhoon Eurofighter is made out of 'plastic'.

Mozzytheboy
Mozzytheboy e2 Member 4550 forum postsMozzytheboy vcard United Kingdom3 Constructive Critique Points
30 Dec 2013 - 8:02 PM

Quote:

With modern polymers, I think this talk about 'more rugged magnesium chassis' is marketing guff in the same bracket as '5 additional MP'. Unless you are a pro out in all weathers really abusing your equipment. Re[/i]member the Typhoon Eurofighter is made out of 'plastic'.

Ho-ho, I DIDN'T know that Mike????!!!

I won't be out in all weathers so maybe that makes a huge difference?

Hmmmm remain in a quandry.

Mozzy

WhiteRose1
WhiteRose1 e2 Member 41066 forum postsWhiteRose1 vcard England136 Constructive Critique Points
30 Dec 2013 - 8:29 PM

The swivel screen is a BIG plus, especially if you struggle to get down low. The 70D processor is a Digic 5+, the same as the 5D3, the 7D is a Dual Digic 4. The 5D3 is on a different planet when it comes to low light and high ISO images when compared to the 7D. Between the two I would personally go for the 70D but the 5D3 is a clear winner of the three.

Snapster
Snapster e2 Member 2121 forum postsSnapster vcard England
30 Dec 2013 - 8:36 PM

Mozzy,
I've had the very same thoughts.
Size, weight, and spec the 7D and 70D seem very similar, (Canon must like producing ranges of DSLR's where you have to spot the difference. You've got the 500D, I've got the 550D).
Mikehit seems spot on with his reply.
I've seen forums where the 7d is seen to be old and it's days numbered but don't know how true this is. But it was enough to give me second thoughts a few months ago, especially when I heard about the 70D.
The 70D has dropped in price and now both have a starting numer of 8xx on Camerapricebuster.
The 70D has wi-fi with remote trigger via smartphone, which is one stand out difference.
I've pretty much decided on the 70D over the 7D, just got to have a conversation with she who doesn't understand camera's.

mikehit
30 Dec 2013 - 8:43 PM

Quote: The 70D processor is a Digic 5+, the same as the 5D3, the 7D is a Dual Digic 4.

A single 5+ processor of the 70D vs a dual-processor of the 7D - the only direct comparison I have read says they are about equal on that score.

I would hope the 5D3 is better, but my guess is it is way beyond the OPs price range.

Snapster
Snapster e2 Member 2121 forum postsSnapster vcard England
30 Dec 2013 - 8:52 PM

Personally I rarely use the EVF, however I appreciate in some circumstances, (for me it's in a crowd getting above peoples heads) a swivel screen could be really useful. Apparently it kills the battery, 900 shots standard reducing to 250 shots. Still a useful function.

chrisheathcote
chrisheathcote e2 Member 8241 forum postschrisheathcote vcard United Kingdom
30 Dec 2013 - 10:20 PM

Quote: Mozzy,

I've pretty much decided on the 70D over the 7D, just got to have a conversation with she who doesn't understand camera's.

I find this has benefits as they also dont know the prices Grin

mikehit
30 Dec 2013 - 10:36 PM

As in ' the 7D is probably the better camera, darling, but realise we have to watch the finances so I am willing to go for the cheaper 70D.'

chrisheathcote
chrisheathcote e2 Member 8241 forum postschrisheathcote vcard United Kingdom
30 Dec 2013 - 10:59 PM

Exactly Mike, because the fewer numbers the more expensive Smile

Mozzytheboy
31 Dec 2013 - 6:54 AM

Yes 5D3 is well out of my buying zone for now.

The 7D I realise is actually quite old now, the 70D does seem to have the better processor. The Dual Digic 4 on the 7D would I imagine be much better than the one on my 500D?

Great replies BTW Thank you one and all.

Yes Snapster, have had that conversation too with a favourable answer; I do probably bore her rigid with camera talk thoughSmile

Mozzy

MichaelMelb_AU
31 Dec 2013 - 8:12 AM

I'd go with 70D. First, as you say, it's a new generation of sensor and processor, also it has all the functionality of 7D. And, if 7D was a bit of experimental venture on Canon's behalf - 70D is an evolutionary development of well established and acknowledged "semi-pro" line, therefore less risk of losing resale value and having design and/or manufacture quality issues.
Cheers!

Mozzytheboy
31 Dec 2013 - 10:09 AM

Just been reading a few 70D v 7D articles on the interweb and being honest, the WI-FI bit of the 70D is of no interest to me, neither is the video bit, nor a touch screen (never used it yet on my 500D the video that is) The only improvement I'm looking for is the capability to improve the processing from what I see to how the camera records it. More detail would be good and an improved AF system is what I really want.

I dont use an ipod pad droid et al or phone, I have a mobile that just makes and receives calls, so I wonder again with me being old school might the 7D just tip the scales despite having a lesser processor?

Mozzy

karl
karl Site Moderator 11588 forum posts United Kingdom
31 Dec 2013 - 11:23 AM

As the owner of a 7D for a long time now, I'd say 70D - you get the same AF system (rather good) and a newer sensor and better low light/high ISO performance compared to the 7D.

MichaelMelb_AU
31 Dec 2013 - 12:05 PM

Quote: ...

I dont use an ipod pad droid et al or phone, I have a mobile that just makes and receives calls, so I wonder again with me being old school might the 7D just tip the scales despite having a lesser processor?

Mozzy

Better is always an enemy of good. I would pay a few bucks extra for the articulated screen alone. Gives you a lot - shooting over heads without ladder and from ground level without crawling. As for other extras - no one forces you to use them, but never say never. And, if you are after ultimate bargain, there are quite a few unsold 60Ds around.Wink

Last Modified By MichaelMelb_AU at 31 Dec 2013 - 12:06 PM

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.