Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Just changed my telephoto from a Canon 75-300 to a Sigma 70-200 EX - such a diffe...

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Stevies
    Stevies  2 United Kingdom
    3 Sep 2012 - 9:56 AM

Hi folks,

I'm not sure what the opinion here is but I recently bought a Canon 60D and needed a telephoto so got the 75-300 IS USM to go with it. I mostly shoot sport - in particular model aircraft flying. After a few weeks one of the other guys in our club fancied the Canon so I sold it to him with the express intention of buying a Canon 70-200 f/4 L (Non IS) but was persuaded to go for the Sigma 70-200 f2.8 EX DG HSM ll and boy I'm glad I did. The focus is very fast and accurate and I love the DOF with the 2.8 never mind it's ability in low light.

If you're in the market for that type of lens I would highly recommend it. The only thing 'wrong' with my lens was that it was second hand and didn't come with the box - if you have one that you'd part with I'd love to hear from you!

Stevie

Last Modified By Stevies at 3 Sep 2012 - 9:57 AM
    Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    3 Sep 2012 - 9:56 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

arhb
    arhb e2 Member 72212 forum postsarhb vcard United Kingdom68 Constructive Critique Points
    3 Sep 2012 - 10:02 AM

If you like the Sigma Stevie, you'd be astounded at the AF speed of the Canon equivalent - probably more so in low light.
    That is, just my point of view and experience.

Stevies
    Stevies  2 United Kingdom
    3 Sep 2012 - 10:07 AM

Your probably right - would have loved the Canon 2.8 but it was way way out of my price range. It was the Sigma or the Canon f4. Maybe be the next telephoto!

Thanks

Stevie

Last Modified By Stevies at 3 Sep 2012 - 10:07 AM
    arhb
    arhb e2 Member 72212 forum postsarhb vcard United Kingdom68 Constructive Critique Points
    3 Sep 2012 - 10:55 AM

I should've mentioned, it's the F4L IS I'm using - I use IS when needed but not always.
    With ISO capability of most cameras today, I use this to get my s/speed where I want it, rather than using IS,
    which is generally only on in the studio, and off for sport etc.
    I would say that both the Canon F4 and F2.8 (IS and non-IS)70-200 zooms are unbeatable, and well worth the investment.

ianrobinson
    ianrobinson e2 Member 41107 forum postsianrobinson vcard United Kingdom8 Constructive Critique Points
    3 Sep 2012 - 8:30 PM

I personally sold my sigma 70-200mm f2.8 to buy the canon 70-200mm f2.8 is usm l mark ii and what a difference that was, i was blown away with the IQ compared with the sigma.
    The canon lens is consistently producing sharp crisp images and will do all day long, however the sigma tends to be hit and miss, not something you want when doing a wedding..
    I want a canon 500mm f4 lens but I am struggling with price, when I've had enough of family life and divorce is imminent I may treat myself lol....
    Or a canon 400mm f2.8 would be rather nice too, stick a 2x converter on and vwala 800mm f5.6 lens, yum yum.
    I can only but dream especially now canon has stuck there prices so far up they are only achievable to the rich.

I never use IS or in your case OS, I have a sigma 120-300mm f2.8 lens for wildlife and i stick a 1.4 or 2x converter on it and get fantastic results with that lens without the OS on, saying that even that is hit and miss at times especially with the 2x on but i get by lol...

Last Modified By ianrobinson at 3 Sep 2012 - 8:35 PM
    GaryDeanMercerClark

I would rather have this lens. 120-300mm.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.