Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Just got an Olympus E-1! And can do with some advice.

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

dannyr
dannyr  4 United Kingdom
2 Feb 2013 - 1:17 PM

Yes its 2013 but I always wanted a weather sealed camera build like a tank and got a E-1 for £99 plus 17.5-45!
So far a great little camera, smaller than I thought, cant wait to give it a proper workout.

I do have two questions if anybody can help me.

Firstly does anybody know if Micro Four Thirds flashes will work on such an old four thirds body? I have a FL-300 for my EP-3 and would love to use it on my E-1 but a bit afraid i'll blow it up!

Also if any one out there has an E-1 can they let me know if there is a problem with the assist light just blinking and not staying on when in low light, cant seem to get it to stay on for more than half a second!

Thanks guys.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
2 Feb 2013 - 1:17 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

joshwa
joshwa ePHOTOzine Staff 3593 forum postsjoshwa vcard United Kingdom
2 Feb 2013 - 2:17 PM

I have one too Smile

Although I don't have any AF lenses - but I can check on Monday for you if nobody else answers.

As far as I'm aware the Olympus flashes are interchangeable - it wouldn't make sense for Olympus to make different versions for each system.

dannyr
dannyr  4 United Kingdom
2 Feb 2013 - 3:07 PM

Thanks Joshwa,

But I just rather embarrassedly figured it out half hour ago, I just realised I had it on continuous focus when I had been testing it in low light. It works fine in single focus mode.

Only had it for a day, so lots to learn Smile

Have to say this camera has one of the nicest shutter sounds!

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314819 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
2 Feb 2013 - 7:01 PM

There`s very little difference between 4/3 and M4/3 apart from size, the flash system has never changed.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314819 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
3 Feb 2013 - 12:28 AM

Quote: Also if any one out there has an E-1 can they let me know if there is a problem with the assist light just blinking and not staying on when in low light, cant seem to get it to stay on for more than half a second!

I`ve still got an E1 (faulty) from memory I think the blinking focus assist is normal.

I have the battery grip, high capacity battery and charger if its any good to you.

dannyr
dannyr  4 United Kingdom
3 Feb 2013 - 9:48 AM

Cheers Paul thatís a kind offer,

I tried my FL-300 on my E-1 last night, seem to work fine, so happy I can use it, it a nice little flash and as it folds down it doesnít even take up too much space.

Paul Morgan
3 Feb 2013 - 4:48 PM

I don`t want anything for it, its been sat around doing nothing for 3 or 4 years Smile

dannyr
dannyr  4 United Kingdom
4 Feb 2013 - 11:25 PM

Paul thatís really kind of you, that would be greatly appreciated.
Have to at least return the favour and send you a box of chocolates Smile

Paul Morgan
5 Feb 2013 - 12:52 AM

No need to return anything, I give away a lot on here, PM me your address and I`ll stick it in the post, its of no use to me any more.

It might take a week or two for me to post it though.

handlerstudio
handlerstudio e2 Member 2handlerstudio vcard United States5 Constructive Critique Points
9 Mar 2013 - 4:26 AM

I got a OM-D M5 last spring---among other things, I also wanted a weatherproof camera. I love shooting in the rain. It will take the older 4/3 lenses as well. The Oly slr's are not going to be made anymore. The E-1 is almost an antique now. Do you like shooting with it?

Peter

dannyr
dannyr  4 United Kingdom
9 Mar 2013 - 11:48 PM

Hi Peter,

I have to say I am surprised how much I like the camera. It can be a challenge shooting with it, I cringe if I have to go above ISO 400 and the resolution pretty low, but it can still take good pictures, in fact I think the colours it produces are nicer then on my E-P3!
Apart from the grip falling off, the things a tank, and I am loving the fact I can shoot in the rain and not worry about it.

Dan

pablophotographer

I know that E-1 is a professional camera and serious professionals used it. The website of Olympus has changed over the years but if you search you will find the work of a Polish photographer which shoots black and white nudes(jawdropping quality) and a Japanese photographer who did advertorail shots for Campari with it. All of the E-1, E-3, E-5 were considered good workhorses, small bodies, smaller lens in comparison with Nikon and Canon and weather sealed. And the testers enjoyed using them. I think that because people were geared in the megapixel race back then these models were left dragging behing having lower resolution than their con-current competition.

Bring us some picture from it then!

Paul Morgan
14 Mar 2013 - 6:33 PM

You should get the grip and battery soon Daniel, I posted it yesterday.

Last Modified By Paul Morgan at 14 Mar 2013 - 6:34 PM
dannyr
dannyr  4 United Kingdom
14 Mar 2013 - 8:43 PM

Paul you are a legend!

I cant thank you enough for it. Ill let you know when i get it.

Thanks.

dannyr
dannyr  4 United Kingdom
14 Mar 2013 - 8:53 PM

pablophotographer, ill have to check out the Olympus website for them, I have only posted one picture so far, planning to put on more soon.

The cameras great, unfortunately Iím a bit rubbish Smile

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.