Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Just got an Olympus E-1! And can do with some advice.

dannyr 5 18 United Kingdom
2 Feb 2013 1:17PM
Yes its 2013 but I always wanted a weather sealed camera build like a tank and got a E-1 for £99 plus 17.5-45!
So far a great little camera, smaller than I thought, cant wait to give it a proper workout.

I do have two questions if anybody can help me.

Firstly does anybody know if Micro Four Thirds flashes will work on such an old four thirds body? I have a FL-300 for my EP-3 and would love to use it on my E-1 but a bit afraid i'll blow it up!

Also if any one out there has an E-1 can they let me know if there is a problem with the assist light just blinking and not staying on when in low light, cant seem to get it to stay on for more than half a second!

Thanks guys.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

joshwa e2
4 710 United Kingdom
2 Feb 2013 2:17PM
I have one too Smile

Although I don't have any AF lenses - but I can check on Monday for you if nobody else answers.

As far as I'm aware the Olympus flashes are interchangeable - it wouldn't make sense for Olympus to make different versions for each system.
2 Feb 2013 3:07PM
Thanks Joshwa,

But I just rather embarrassedly figured it out half hour ago, I just realised I had it on continuous focus when I had been testing it in low light. It works fine in single focus mode.

Only had it for a day, so lots to learn Smile

Have to say this camera has one of the nicest shutter sounds!
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
2 Feb 2013 7:01PM
There`s very little difference between 4/3 and M4/3 apart from size, the flash system has never changed.
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
3 Feb 2013 12:28AM

Quote:Also if any one out there has an E-1 can they let me know if there is a problem with the assist light just blinking and not staying on when in low light, cant seem to get it to stay on for more than half a second!

I`ve still got an E1 (faulty) from memory I think the blinking focus assist is normal.

I have the battery grip, high capacity battery and charger if its any good to you.
3 Feb 2013 9:48AM
Cheers Paul thatís a kind offer,

I tried my FL-300 on my E-1 last night, seem to work fine, so happy I can use it, it a nice little flash and as it folds down it doesnít even take up too much space.
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
3 Feb 2013 4:48PM
I don`t want anything for it, its been sat around doing nothing for 3 or 4 years Smile
4 Feb 2013 11:25PM
Paul thatís really kind of you, that would be greatly appreciated.
Have to at least return the favour and send you a box of chocolates Smile
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
5 Feb 2013 12:52AM
No need to return anything, I give away a lot on here, PM me your address and I`ll stick it in the post, its of no use to me any more.

It might take a week or two for me to post it though.
9 Mar 2013 4:26AM
I got a OM-D M5 last spring---among other things, I also wanted a weatherproof camera. I love shooting in the rain. It will take the older 4/3 lenses as well. The Oly slr's are not going to be made anymore. The E-1 is almost an antique now. Do you like shooting with it?

Peter
9 Mar 2013 11:48PM
Hi Peter,

I have to say I am surprised how much I like the camera. It can be a challenge shooting with it, I cringe if I have to go above ISO 400 and the resolution pretty low, but it can still take good pictures, in fact I think the colours it produces are nicer then on my E-P3!
Apart from the grip falling off, the things a tank, and I am loving the fact I can shoot in the rain and not worry about it.

Dan
pablophotographer 3 496 187
10 Mar 2013 12:20AM
I know that E-1 is a professional camera and serious professionals used it. The website of Olympus has changed over the years but if you search you will find the work of a Polish photographer which shoots black and white nudes(jawdropping quality) and a Japanese photographer who did advertorail shots for Campari with it. All of the E-1, E-3, E-5 were considered good workhorses, small bodies, smaller lens in comparison with Nikon and Canon and weather sealed. And the testers enjoyed using them. I think that because people were geared in the megapixel race back then these models were left dragging behing having lower resolution than their con-current competition.

Bring us some picture from it then!
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
14 Mar 2013 6:33PM
You should get the grip and battery soon Daniel, I posted it yesterday.
14 Mar 2013 8:43PM
Paul you are a legend!

I cant thank you enough for it. Ill let you know when i get it.

Thanks.
14 Mar 2013 8:53PM
pablophotographer, ill have to check out the Olympus website for them, I have only posted one picture so far, planning to put on more soon.

The cameras great, unfortunately Iím a bit rubbish Smile

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.