Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Just got an Olympus E-1! And can do with some advice.

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

kodachrome
15 Apr 2013 - 11:51 AM

Dannyr

There is no doubting those pictures are superb, and a lot of that is down to the Zuiko lenses.
Even the little cheap plastic 40-150 is a great performer.
My favourite is the 14-54 Mk 1, it really is a stella performer and easily as good as Sony's Zeiss and Panasonic's Leica lenses.
I hung on to my E-510 and E-450 for sentimental reasons as they both in my view have given me the best pictures I have ever taken and that includes my Nikon D5100, which is great in its own right, but at the DX kit lens end of the market, they are just excellent performers but not Stella.

Poor old Olympus got a beating from the review sites for noise and dynamic range but the IQ was there in bundles, but some reviewers refused to promote that, well, it wasn't a Canikon was it.

Yes, things get a bit noisy above 800 ISO but I rarely go above 400 ISO for my landscape work. The older Kodak CCD sensor fitted up to the E-500 was les noisy than the later Panasonic CMOS sensors that were fitted to the 510 onwards, the E-620 and E-30 probably showing the most noise. Both sensors however, famously gave Olympus the credit for the best Jpegs in the business. Dynamic range is a bit short compared to APS-C cameras but can be rectified in PP. I'm even considering building up my Oly kit slightly and taking them out more often.
Pete

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
15 Apr 2013 - 11:51 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

StrayCat
StrayCat  1014469 forum posts Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
15 Apr 2013 - 8:30 PM

My favourite 4/3 lens when I had an E510 was the Olympus 35mm macro; it just seemed to produce the best images I got with the camera. I did very little macro photography with the lens btw.

dannyr
dannyr  5 United Kingdom
16 Apr 2013 - 10:47 PM

Kodachrome,

I have to agree with you about the quality of their lenses, even their most basic ones like my 17.5-45 (Probably the most unloved Olympus lens ever made), but its turned out to be a great performer!

dannyr
dannyr  5 United Kingdom
16 Apr 2013 - 10:53 PM

StrayCat

Great Lens, the 35mm was always underrated, forever in the shadow of the fantastic 50mm.

I might have to pick one up one day Smile

kodachrome
19 Apr 2013 - 11:09 AM

Straycat

Agree about the 35-mm macro and the early 17.5-45 kit lens. As a kit lens it was a very good performer but a tad too heavy and large for a small 4thirds body and its focul range was limited by comparison to the competition.
The 14-42 ED that replaced it was a gem of a lens and had the latest high speed focus system, it was compact, light and had a better performance and build quality than Canikon kit lenses of the period.
Yes, Olympus prime lenses really were market leaders and are still hard to beat now.
A good source of Olympus info is the Web site wrotniac.net, also the 4thirds forum, google both.

My local camera shop is bulging with used Oly gear and there are plenty on the used market and E Bay.

Pete

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.