Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Just ordered a D7000 - is there anything I should be looking out for?

SEMANON e2
2 95 United Kingdom
25 Mar 2013 10:38PM
Just ordered a D7000 - is there anything I should be looking out for? I'm not the type to go looking for problems but I hear Q-C issues with Nikon bodies a lot, anything specific I should be looking out for? Thanks.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

widtink e2
2 406 2 Scotland
25 Mar 2013 10:48PM
Aye seriously good fotaes enjoy Grin
SEMANON e2
2 95 United Kingdom
25 Mar 2013 11:25PM
Thats waaa I'm heerypin feyur Wink
SEMANON e2
2 95 United Kingdom
25 Mar 2013 11:31PM
Seriously I'm really not one for focus charts and so on, but I have saved hard for this and as much as I'm looking forward to getting it (and I am!) I'm just a little bothered with stuff I keep hearing on 'focus issues' and would like to know what anyone else had found.
justin c e2
11 4.6k 36 England
25 Mar 2013 11:34PM

Quote:Just ordered a D7000 - is there anything I should be looking out for?

The postman Smile
SEMANON e2
2 95 United Kingdom
25 Mar 2013 11:36PM
Oh defo - I get it tommorow so.......YEY!Smile
25 Mar 2013 11:53PM
Yep --The joy of owning one -- had my d7000 over 12 months and i still get a Buzz that i have one -- i am sure you will love yours as well--TBH i always use the AF fine tune in the set up menu with focus charts to set your lenses with the camera -but thats just to be sure-- its a bit of a pain --but i never had a lens that was more than + or - 5 when checked
widtink e2
2 406 2 Scotland
26 Mar 2013 7:23AM
Iv'e never done that its worth a thought . What lens did you get with it Seamon

Rod
26 Mar 2013 8:23AM
DPReviews found the D7000 had a slight tendency to over expose in certain high contrast situations.
Just keep an eye on that when out taking pics. You can always 'bracket'.
A superb camera for the money.

Pete
26 Mar 2013 8:38AM
It's worth downloading this settings guide . Especially make sure that you set custom setting a3 to OFF for most shooting and use 21 point continuous focus with release on focus set if the subject is likely to move at all. It's how I have mine set and virtually eliminates the so-called back-focus issues debated ad nauseum on a certain US forum. stunning camera - you'll love it.
cameracat e2
11 8.6k 61 Norfolk Island
26 Mar 2013 10:47AM

Quote:Just ordered a D7000 - is there anything I should be looking out for?

Excuse me for pointing out the very obvious, But surely the question is one that Should be asked " Before " you order something.....!!!!!!

Telling the world and his Auntie that you have bought something without a flicker conscious thought, Then asking the world, His Auntie, Plus his Aunties dog what if any problems you may encounter, Amounts to shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted, Been shot, Been turned in to beef etc etc.....Sad

If for some reason you now find that the Nikon D7000 is the worst camera on the planet ( It Is Not By The Way, It Is Actually A Very Capable Device ) What do you do next, Tick as appropriate.

(A) Cry....Sob sob.
(B) Cry foul and demand they take it back for a refund...Followed by Sob sob....
(C) Stop reading all kinds of stupid nonsense regarding the failings of a camera, That has been around long enough to prove it is a darn good camera....Grin
(D) Wish you had not been so mean and bought the latest D7100 model, That no doubt will get a slagging by the same crew who slagged the D7000...Tongue

OR do you just sit back and wait until your nice new camera arrives, Then get out there and enjoy taking photographs with it...Smile

Unfortunately today we tend to read to much into unverified and sometimes misleading, Often biased information on the W W W, Its really time to start using our own minds when making decisions, Before we are all to paranoid to make a decision without the consulting the world first, To that end you did the right thing by hitting Buy Now, Good luck and enjoy your new Nikon.

Wink
thewilliam e2
6 4.9k
26 Mar 2013 11:43AM
The consensus among users seems to be that the D7000 is a very capable camera. One friend who runs a portrait studio with more than a dozen staff has just re-equipped with D7000 bodies because it yields image quality that's every bit as good as the D4 under the conditions that they shoot but it costs a fraction of the price.

Don't get upset that Nikon has introduced the D7100. Whatever you buy, it will soon be superceded.

The limiting factor is generally the ability of the photographer. The make or model of camera doesn't make much difference.
26 Mar 2013 12:00PM
I've had my 7000 for 3 months now and its great, I've had no focus issues apart from my own lack of ability sometimes or my over eagerness to take a photo without checking the settings!

It's a great bit of kit, the thing that took me a long time to get used to was twisting the lens in the opposite direction to my old Olympus!

Get out and love what the camera is capable of!
26 Mar 2013 6:16PM
Perhaps a 100 Nikon cashback if you bought from the UK retailer, taking the net prize to about 535.
Gundog e2
1 624 Scotland
28 Mar 2013 9:15AM

Quote:

Unfortunately today we tend to read to much into unverified and sometimes misleading, Often biased information on the W W W, Its really time to start using our own minds when making decisions, Before we are all to paranoid to make a decision without the consulting the world first, To that end you did the right thing by hitting Buy Now, Good luck and enjoy your new Nikon.

Wink

I think that applies to just about any new camera. The advent of the internet and chat rooms such as this has meant that the 0.001% of buyers who find a statistically tiny problem can broadcast their spleen to millions of gullible readers.

One of those days a 15-year-old schoolgirl in Auchtermuchty is going to make -billions by developing a phone app that can separate the bullshit from the genuine stuff.

Smile

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.