Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Just ordered a D7000 - is there anything I should be looking out for?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

LenShepherd
LenShepherd e2 Member 62437 forum postsLenShepherd vcard United Kingdom
29 Apr 2013 - 9:23 AM

Quote: I still like the 7k. I would be very interested if any D7000 users have the same picture quality

It depends what you mean by "picture quality"
If your aim is an A3 print from most of the image area my D7000 has obviously more resolution, greater dynamic range and no more noise to about 1600 ISO compared to my now sold D3.
It is true at the pixel level (A2 compared to A3) viewed at about 15 inches the D7000 noise at very high ISO's can be observed. With the D4 and my D800 noise can also be detected at higher magnifications at higher ISO's - if you set out to search for it at the individual pixel level.
On the other hand when making an A3 print from most of the image area if you cannot get very sharp noiseless results to 1600 with the more recent cameras, including the D7000, either the camera is broken and needs a repair - or the problem is not with the camera.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
29 Apr 2013 - 9:23 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

johnmac
johnmac  491 forum posts
29 Apr 2013 - 7:56 PM

Hi thanks for your replies. I sent an email to Nikon and they asked I send some unedited images to them and will when I take some pics, I've deleted the ones taken. I'm positive it focuses ok its just the grainey look on them, perhaps I'm being too negative. My D700 is so sharp, there are times when I go out I would rather take the 7k instead of 700 you can be vunerable on your own and I'd rather lose the 7k. I'll upload a couple of images. I always use raw and find I nearly always set it to under expose because I find nikon tends to over expose.

moe2244
moe2244  1 Canada
5 May 2013 - 3:49 PM

I've had my D7000 for a little over a year now and am very happy with it. Especially in low light situations. It does a better job in low light than my D300s using 2.8 lenses.
Enjoy your new purchase.
You're always going to find someone that doesn't like the product. Do your research, pull the trigger and enjoy. Don't worry about new models coming out, that's a fact of life.
It's the same in the computer world, the minute you walk out of the store, you're outdated. It doesn't matter. So long as the product is doing what you expect of it, be happy.
I still have an iphone 4 for goodness sake. Does everything I need it to do and have no aspirations to upgrade the latest and greatest.
Still use some older film cameras as well. Because I want to.
The D7000 has lots of features and when looking at the different galleries, takes many fine pictures. Remember, it's the person BEHIND the camera that's the most important component.
Cheers!

ginz04
ginz04  10276 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
2 Aug 2013 - 10:15 PM

I also have a D7000 and find it a excellent camera. I take all types of pictures - you wont regret it.

KBan
KBan  9456 forum posts England4 Constructive Critique Points
2 Aug 2013 - 10:26 PM

Used one for 6 months. love it

Dandrummer18

I'm currently looking at buying a D7000 as my first DSLR (and probably only one I'll have for a very long time). I was thinking of buying just the body and then getting a very capable lens (not too expensive, just a better one than the kit lens). I was thinking of a kind of "multi purpose" lens, as I will using the camera for various different things. Any Ideas? Help? Advice? Thanks in advance

Last Modified By Dandrummer18 at 15 Mar 2014 - 6:13 PM
LenShepherd
16 Mar 2014 - 10:56 AM

Quote: I'm currently looking at buying a D7000 as my first DSLR (and probably only one I'll have for a very long time). I was thinking of buying just the body and then getting a very capable lens (not too expensive, just a better one than the kit lens)

This is a difficult question.
The just out 18-55 II is a superb optic - but with not much zoom range.
The Nikon 18-105 VR is probably a better all round choice for some-one on a long term limited budget.
If you go to www.camerapricebuster.co.uk they quote the D7000 as a body at 559 and with the 18-105 at 699. If you take the 2 item package if you register the products with Nikon you get 2 years warranty on the body and the lens.
The better but more expensive D7100 prices are around 840 and 970, including next day collection from your nearest Jessops. If you buy from Jessops do not fall for the "trick" of them selling you an unsuitable for digital UV filter at an inflated price.
The current Nikon 100 cash back on a D7100 reduces the price difference compared to a D7000.
There is also a 50 cash back if you buy the quite a bit more expensive 18-140 zoom instead of buying the 18-105 as a 2 lens deal.

seahawk
seahawk e2 Member 7529 forum postsseahawk vcard United Kingdom
17 Mar 2014 - 10:28 AM

on my D7000 I use the Nikon 16-85mm as my most-used lens, optical quality is excellent. For a travel/do-it-all lens I use a Sigma 18-250; the OQ is not up to the Nikon but it's acceptable, it's light and only uses a 62mm filter size so I find it very convenient for long walks or days out. I believe the 18-105 only has a plastic mount so it might be a bit vulnerable to knocks etc.
Suggest you look on the s/h market for a good 16-85.

Dandrummer18

Thanks for the info/help. I still haven't got it and am thinking about waiting a little bit longer and getting the d7100. I really can't decide!!

LenShepherd
12 Apr 2014 - 8:19 AM

Quote: I still haven't got it and am thinking about waiting a little bit longer and getting the d7100. I really can't decide!!

The D7000 with 28-105 is currently 699 at Mifsuds. The 7100 with the same lens is 969 with a 100 cash back from Nikon (net 869) for about another 4 weeks.

thewilliam
12 Apr 2014 - 12:24 PM

Whatever you get, there will be something better, faster and cheaper next week!

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.