Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

K100D Super and lenses

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    bruce295
    bruce295  927 forum posts United Kingdom
    15 Jun 2008 - 12:37 PM

Having spent hours reviewing DSLR's finally decided on the Pentax K100D Super to upgrade from a bridge camera.
    The supplied kit lens is 18 - 55 zoom.

The question I am struggling with is whether this will be adequate for landscape shots and if not could anyone recommend a reasonably priced (Cheap) additional lens.

I would also like to get into close up shots, could anyone recommend a macro lens, again for a reasonable price.

Many thanks for your thoughts and to save me from insanity having spent ages reading reviews on cameras, thought I would ask the experts!

Regards

Geoff

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    15 Jun 2008 - 12:37 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

cameracat
    cameracat  108578 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
    15 Jun 2008 - 3:58 PM

The 18mm end should make a decent job of landscapes, Sharpest aperture without refraction will be around f1.8 to f16.

Before spending any more money, I'd give the kit lens a work out, Gives you an chance to familiarise yourself with the camera & lens..!

If you wnat something wider for landscapes, The Sigma 10 - 20 is very popular with many, And for the price quite hard to beat..!

For Macro, 2 lens spring to mind, The legendary Tamron 90mm Di macro.....Or The Sigma 105mm Macro.....!

Both are highly regarded And don't cost a fortune.....Smile

Edit; I use a Sigma 70mm f2.8 macro, And it's superb, However for bugs & Insects, The shorter focal means I do have to get closer to the subject, Sometimes they don't mind......Smile Sometimes they do....Sad

Having said that I chose the 70mm, Coz I wanted something that might double as a portrait lens.........!

Last Modified By cameracat at 15 Jun 2008 - 4:05 PM Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
    bruce295
    15 Jun 2008 - 5:56 PM

Many thanks Vince, some good advice there.

Geoff

Toonman
    Toonman  71420 forum posts England2 Constructive Critique Points
    11 Jul 2008 - 7:33 AM

Hi Geoff
    I have the same camera and upgraded the lens to a Sigma 17-70. The Pentax lens produced soft images but, the Sigma is sharp and operates smoothly. There is some barrel distortion at 17mm though. I remove this with the plugin from PTlens (about 10). The lens also gets good reviews from sites such as DPreview.
    Hope this helps
    Adam

Chrism8
    Chrism8  7745 forum posts England14 Constructive Critique Points
    11 Jul 2008 - 7:54 AM

Hi Geoff

I use a Sigma 105 macro and a 10 - 20 Zoom on a K10D, highly recommend both lenses, there are many users of both on here, which must indicate how popular they are, there's some images in my pf if you want to check them out.

Chris

bruce295
    11 Jul 2008 - 9:01 AM

Hi Adam and Chris. Many thanks for your advice. I have had a couple of weeks using the camera on holiday, steep learning curve and am very impreesed with it compared to previous p & s and bridge cameras. I splashed out on a Sigma 70 - 300mm macro zoom and this has opened up a whole new world. Will add other lenses as I become more experienced and bank (wife) allow. Many thanks for your advice. Chris you have some impressive shots in your pf.

Thanks again

Geoff

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.