Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

K7 Pentax

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

oneill
oneill  6155 forum posts Ireland
1 Jun 2009 - 3:00 PM

hello matt,, have you got your hands on the k7 yet,,,,, or any of epz members worldwide,,got a hands on yet,,,

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
1 Jun 2009 - 3:00 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

MattGrayson
1 Jun 2009 - 3:31 PM

yep, got it in at the moment. The review will hopefully be up before the end of the week. Smile

oneill
1 Jun 2009 - 4:59 PM

thanks matt,, looking foward to the full review,,,,ps,,are you doing a video review also,,,,,,,pat

MattGrayson
1 Jun 2009 - 5:31 PM

yes, I'm hoping to get that at least filmed before the end of the week. Smile

phototime
phototime  8 United Kingdom
1 Jun 2009 - 5:53 PM

I am hoping to buy this camera soon,looks very good to me and hope the review is excellent on this camera.

oneill
1 Jun 2009 - 6:44 PM

i know the review that matt done on the e620 was spot on,,my mate got it after reading matts review,,and i got to use it myself, i liked it alot,,,but it just didnt feel right for me,, so hoping the k7 review is good also,,, when i will wait till it comes to the pentax pro/centre in dublin,,,or maybe in belfast for a hands on,,,,

MattGrayson
3 Jun 2009 - 2:30 PM

The review is as ready as I can get it right now. I'm just waiting on the RAW file converter from Pentax but I've got no set date I'm afraid.

You can see it here:

Pentax K-7 review

MattGrayson
24 Jun 2009 - 11:06 AM

I've received the finalised firmware and the noise tests and colour test chart images are now how the final cameras will perform.

EDIT: All except the HDR image of St. Pauls is finalised firmware.

Last Modified By MattGrayson at 24 Jun 2009 - 2:04 PM
IEPT
IEPT  4 United Kingdom
15 Sep 2009 - 5:30 PM

Hello – First time on the site. The K7 review was very interesting for what it didn’t say. Matt said in it early on that the K7 had the same sensor/pixel rating as the KD20 but implied Pentax may be ‘going to launch another model soon…’

Earlier this year I am sure I saw somewhere that Pentax were to launch a high-end product at the end of 2009?

Matt or anybody heard the same?

MattGrayson
17 Sep 2009 - 2:29 PM

Well they've just launched the K-x but it's a lower model.

MattGrayson
1 Feb 2010 - 9:28 AM

Hi everyone,
I have the K-7 in the office at the moment and I'm planning a comparison test between one or two other models. I was thinking about the Olympus E-30 but thought I'd ask the Pentax people on the site.
Which DSLRs do you think are the closest matches to the K-7?

pentaxian
pentaxian  41 Constructive Critique Points
1 Feb 2010 - 4:14 PM

I am a K7 user so I would be interested in your test. Close competitors should not be difficult to identify. The Olympus E30 is one, the Canon EOS50D is another, but NOT the EOS7D £1700 vs £1000) as AP recently did (what an appallingly biased test, it seemed to me).
One thing I think it is important to do is standardise on a lens. Too often there is great disparirty in lens quality between cameras tested just because that is how the manufacturer supplied the camera.
How about choosing a good Sigma zoom like the 18-50 f2.8 and use that on all the cameras tested?

lawbert
lawbert  71701 forum posts England15 Constructive Critique Points
1 Feb 2010 - 4:40 PM

I am a Canon User so apolgies for being on the Pentax Forum!!

For a fair appraisal I would go with what pentaxian says.
Canon 50d
Nikon D90
Olympus E-30

These all seem to be in a similar price bracket at todays prices.

Sony strangely doesnt seem to have anything in this price range though.

I do agree that a single third party lense would be the fairest comparison,
That is assuming you have one in in all the mounts!!....
If not nip down the local camera emporium and borrow them all and tell them you will give them a huge mention and a cheap advert on Epz!!

johnnyboy114
2 Feb 2010 - 10:35 AM

Hi Matt

Sorry to hijack a thread, but I am desperately trying to find an answer to this and I can't seem to get anywhere....

The K7 doesn't seem to be supported in the ACR for PS CS3, Bridge and Lightroom, yet I have heard that the K7 takes DNG format files natively and I CAN use those as my standard RAW file in those mentioned pieces of software. Is this true? I am hopefully going to be in the fortunate position to buy a K7 fairly soon, yet I don't want to have to upgrade all of my software so I can use it (especially as I have had all of that less than 6 months!). If it does natively take DNG (I presume there is a setting that will let me switch between formats in the camera?), then would you recommend using this in CS3 and LR instead of the native Pentax PEF format?

Basically, I am skint due to wedding and housemove and don't want to have to upgrade software just yet and as I take all shots in RAW (but never in DNG before. I currently use a K100D, so PEF all the way...), I would like to know if buying the K7 is a viable idea right now....

Cheers Matt and hopefully much appreciated on any info that comes back from you! Smile

John

pentaxian
pentaxian  41 Constructive Critique Points
2 Feb 2010 - 11:40 AM

The K7 can take RAW files on either DNG or PEF formats.

The camera is supplied with software that will allow all adjustments and fine tuning and will save the PEFs or DNGs out in JPEG or TIFF (8 bit or 16bit) formats.

If you download the latest Irfanview freeware viewer -- the best viewer there is, in my view -- this will also allow viewing of PEF or DNG files and may even allow them to be saved out as JPEGs, although I have not myself tried that..

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.