Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Keep forgetting to turn off!

Frequently, when I come in from a walk with my 7D, take it to my backpack and remove the lens before putting it all away. At this time I invariably forget to turn the camera off before removing the lens - it is however usually in "sleep" mode at the time. Is this likely to cause any damage?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

colin beeley e2
12 1.1k 10 England
8 Nov 2012 4:40PM
never came across that one in the instruction manual .
miptog e2
9 3.5k 61 United Kingdom
8 Nov 2012 4:46PM
Seem to recall that Nikon recommend that the camera is switched off before changing lens, as this reduces the chance of dust on the sensor. May equally apply to Canon bodies.
Switching off will not change anything behind the lens, the mirror is there, so there is no more likelyhood of dust getting onto the sensor with camera on or off I would have thought?

My only concern is whether there could be some sort of "sparking" or damage to the contacts with power on doing this.
mikehit e2
5 7.1k 11 United Kingdom
8 Nov 2012 4:52PM
I never turn my camera off before removing the lens and have not had a problem. Apparently two of the pins between body and lens carry power to the lens and as soon as you twist the lens it disconnects the power.
I have hread some people say you should not remove the lens while the IS is actually working away (that is, whenyou press the shutter plus a few seconds afterwards) but I am not sure how accurate that is.
mikehit e2
5 7.1k 11 United Kingdom
8 Nov 2012 4:53PM

Quote:Switching off will not change anything behind the lens, the mirror is there, so there is no more likelyhood of dust getting onto the sensor with camera on or off I would have thought?

With the camera 'on' the sensor is charged and in theory more likely to attract dust. But I have not noticed a problem.
lemmy e2
7 2.0k United Kingdom
8 Nov 2012 6:39PM

Quote: Is this likely to cause any damage

If it was likely to cause damage, Nikon would arrange it so that removing the lens switched the camera off. I regularly change lenses without turning the camera off and I've nevr had a broken camera.

Don't worry about it.
MikeRC e2
9 3.5k United Kingdom
8 Nov 2012 6:46PM
I always turn off before changing lenses....how can it hurt ?
....I cannot imagine a reason for not doing so...I too have never had a broken camera.
"I cannot imagine a reason for not doing so" It's called forgettingTongue.
User_Removed 3 112 Wales
8 Nov 2012 7:50PM
I do it all the time but I call it "age"Grin.
Same SameWink
tpfkapm e2
3 151 United Kingdom
8 Nov 2012 9:30PM
isnt the mirror assembly in front of the sensor when changing lenses, so the sensor if charged is not really exposed to the elements and dust?
8 Nov 2012 10:29PM

Quote:Isnt the mirror assembly in front of the sensor when changing lenses, so the sensor if charged is not really exposed to the elements and dust?

My comment earlier this afternoonWink Any way, seems there isn't any real danger to the camera in doing this but I really will try to remember in future!

Thanks for all the replies - Wink

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.