Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Keeping A Kitten Still

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    RavenTepes
    28 Sep 2013 - 6:55 AM

Just as the topic implies, I was photographing a kitten in my studio a couple days ago and he just didn't want to stay still long enough to get a decent focus and get a shot off. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for cats, and animals in general.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    28 Sep 2013 - 6:55 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

KarenFB
    KarenFB Junior Gallery Team 84255 forum postsKarenFB vcard England162 Constructive Critique Points
    28 Sep 2013 - 7:21 AM

[epzimg]
    Tire it out a little first, have a good old play with a toy on a string. My 'boys' don't like the camera much - most of my shots are taken of them asleep, or just settling down for a nap! Smile Having an 'assistant' will help...............they could do all the running, whilst you stand behind the camera waiting! Smile

Last Modified By Moderator Team at 28 Sep 2013 - 3:28 PM
    sherlob
    sherlob e2 Member 82281 forum postssherlob vcard United Kingdom123 Constructive Critique Points
    28 Sep 2013 - 7:23 AM

You can't force the situation, but as in any nature photography - knowing your subject helps.

E.g. Cats like to practice hunting (play). They are attracted to the movement of small objects, and before actively chasing (e.g. pouncing) will often sit still weighing the moving object up - especially if its movement is not what it expects. So have someone dangle a small toy (even just a piece of string) directly behind you (or in the direction you want the kitten to look) - and be ready - the kitten won't stay still for long. A laser pen is good option too - they go mad for it - and when the light disappears will often sit still waiting for it to come back.

Adam.

brian1208
    brian1208 e2 Member 1110181 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
    28 Sep 2013 - 12:06 PM

my experiences confirm what I already knew, cats have an evil sense of humour.

In my last shoot the only time the little beggars posed properly was when I wasn't in the room, so maybe using a remote shooting app so that they don't know you are doing it will help? Smile

More seriously, Adam's suggestions are good and have you considered using a mirror? Our cats used to love looking at their reflection when kittens, same with something like the TV (these days a Tablet would do the same?)

One other thought, paper bags, baskets, old boots etc are great ways of locating kittens - pop them inside and wait for their re-appearance. It does depend on what sort of shot you are after of course. Gives you a chance to pre-focus which makes grabbing that special moment a little easier

Last Modified By brian1208 at 28 Sep 2013 - 12:08 PM
    MichaelMelb_AU
    28 Sep 2013 - 12:39 PM

My suggestions are:
    1. A toy with little catnip in it. It will draw any cat's attention and will keep them busy for a while. Fix the toy to the surface if the cat gets too frisky.
    2. An assistant to keep cat occupied and play with it. Some lovely poses may be snapped if shot promptly in series.
    3. Maybe a servo autofocus ( AF-S or C-AF, whatever works better).
    Unlike dogs that are generally obedient to people cats are self - sufficient and pay more attention to the environment. Very good advise above about bringing the cat in studio beforehand and playing with it a little. Maybe, ask to bring it with some little home rag and toy. Cats are very attached to place they live in. This may help the kitty to relax and feel safe.
    And if nothing works - bad luck, it's just not in the mood for session. Pay respect to the living creature - however little it can beSmile

GazzaG2003
    GazzaG2003  11252 forum posts England
    28 Sep 2013 - 3:13 PM

What I did was use a fairly high ISO natural daylight through the window wide aperture.
    played on the floor until it was tired-ish and layed down with her. 7D with a 50mm lens.
    abie1.jpg
    abie2.jpg
    abie3.jpg
    abie4.jpg the last image was after the shoot zzzzzzzzzz!

RavenTepes
    28 Sep 2013 - 5:25 PM

Thank you, everyone for the suggestions. I'll give it all a try Smile

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.