Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Ken Rockwell & RAW

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Ewanneil
Ewanneil  41118 forum posts Scotland2 Constructive Critique Points
25 Jan 2011 - 8:41 AM

Reading through Ken Rockwell's iPod App for my Camera - a Nikon D300S I came upon the following quote.

"I never shoot raw, except every six months to remind myself of what a pain it is, and how it looks the same or worse that JPG."

He doesn't go on to say any more or to justify his comment.

Now, Ken Rockwell has forgotten more about photography than I'll probably ever know but his comments came as a surprise. What else does he know that I don't, I wonder? I'd be interested in what others think of his views on this.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
25 Jan 2011 - 8:41 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

KevSB
KevSB  101407 forum posts United Kingdom5 Constructive Critique Points
25 Jan 2011 - 8:50 AM

In truth it is a major pain using Raw so hes saying nothing we dont allready know, He obvously is an accomplished photographer that gets every shot perfect in camera and has little need of post processing.
Grin
I would love to take perfect photos in jpeg everytime but in my case I dont trust my skills to get it right in camera at the time and need that backup feeling that I can save something from the day.

keithh
keithh e2 Member 1022889 forum postskeithh vcard Wallis and Futuna30 Constructive Critique Points
25 Jan 2011 - 8:52 AM

Quote: In truth it is a major pain using Raw

Really?

Quote: Now, Ken Rockwell has forgotten more about photography than I'll probably ever know

Really?

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318441 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
25 Jan 2011 - 8:55 AM

It might be a "pain" for snap shot photographers and those who don't need control, but with the right image manager (like Lightroom) it's as easy to manage as a jpg and has incredible flexibility with the results and ensuing quality.

JamesGarfield
25 Jan 2011 - 8:56 AM

Hmmm well if I'm honest I don't really think much of Ken Rockwells work, IMPO there some more interesting & better quality shots appearing in the EPZ gallery than he produces.

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318441 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
25 Jan 2011 - 8:58 AM

Quote: I would love to take perfect photos in jpeg everytime but in my case I dont trust my skills to get it right in camera at the time

It's not just your skills you're are basically setting the camera to program mode. If we left cameras to auto exposure mode all the time look at what would happen - certain scenes would be under exposed, whites would come out grey...etc.
Similar thing with RAW. I remember one camera I had could not process reds well. Shoot in RAW and it was excellent.

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014125 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
25 Jan 2011 - 9:07 AM

Quote: In truth it is a major pain using Raw

what on earth are you doing with it?

jken
jken  81672 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
25 Jan 2011 - 9:19 AM

One word springs to mind, i'd be banned if i typed it.

Cameras are just tools, if you have a way of getting the very best image possible out of one why wouldn't you use it?

User_Removed
25 Jan 2011 - 9:27 AM

'Ken Rockwell'.

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JohnParminter
25 Jan 2011 - 9:33 AM

Quote: What else does he know that I don't, I wonder? I'd be interested in what others think of his views on this

That's just it Ewan, its just his view on how he prefers to take his images, there is no right or wrong for each individual's way of doing things.

I think you would probably be better off finding out for yourself what methods, techniques and processes works best for you rather than pondering, querying and perhaps worrying what others tend to do.

I do happen to shoot almost exclusively in RAW but there are many other things I do that are contrary to popular best practice working methods. I have developed a way of working that suits me exactly and so I choose to understand but ignore the way others do their work.

Smile

SteveCharles
25 Jan 2011 - 9:33 AM

Quote: I never shoot raw, except every six months to remind myself of what a pain it is

I never read Ken Rockwell, except every six months to remind myself of what a tw*t he is.

BubbaG2000
25 Jan 2011 - 9:40 AM

Quote: I never read Ken Rockwell, except every six months to remind myself of what a tw*t he is.

Hahaha! Man, I needed that! Grin

strawman
strawman  1022006 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
25 Jan 2011 - 9:44 AM

it is said Mickey Mouse has a Ken Rockwell watch.

Ken Rockwell, a few things you need to know. Well he is a big believer in aliens and abductions etc, so it could well be this is a brain imprint left after an abduction. Ken may well have forgotten a lot about photography, probably during an abduction or some government mind wipe conspiracy thing, if only he had taken the time to learn it again.

I can believe in alien life forms just not how he tells it.

And finally Ken does have a role in life, all the camera designers in the world take their designs to him, the ones he likes he sticks a Nikon brand on, the rest a Canon one. One day a camera came along that Ken thought was neither Nikon or Canon, as so boys and girls the Pentax brand was born Wink

Every now and then Ken is correct, but often he is oh so wrong.

mattw
mattw  105189 forum posts United Kingdom10 Constructive Critique Points
25 Jan 2011 - 10:12 AM

Ewan - is this topic intentionally ironic?

I can never work out if Ken's website is intended as a joke, or if he really believes all that rubbish. Either way, read it for the laughs, not the 'facts'

Quote:
Ken Rockwell has forgotten more about photography

Ah, that would explain a few things...

meercat
meercat  5278 forum posts United Kingdom
25 Jan 2011 - 10:33 AM

Wow never read his stuff before, and now never will again Tongue

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.