Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Kenko 2x Teleplus PRO 300 DGX 2x converter and Nikon D3100

jimbro e2
1 37 Scotland
18 Jan 2013 8:06PM
Here we go for stoopid question #1
I've just bought the 55-300mm VR Nikkor lens for my D3100 and it's great but I could do with some extra focal length for photographing the local red deer
I've been looking at the Kenko DGX Pro converter as a possible solution

Does anyone have any experience of using these converters, especially with the D3100?
There's a few opinions online but they're a bit mixed(AF works/doesn't work, metering works/doesn't work)

Only other option is either a manual focus older prime lens or mirror but I understand mirrors still have the "doughnut effect" problem

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed 5 4.6k 1 Scotland
18 Jan 2013 8:16PM
There are no stupid questions - only stupid answers.

Sorry, I don't know whether that converter will work with the specific camera lens combination you mention.

But I love working with older non-AF lenses when I can't afford the modern AF equivalent (maybe that is rationalisation, but....). Recently picked up a 600mm f/4 Nikkor AI-S lens on eBay for a few -hundred (the modern AF equivalent is way over 6000) and, as long as you are not photographing fast-moving beasties, it is great.

Even some of the older Nikon AF lenses won't autofocus with your D3100 (you need lenses that have AF-S motors built into the lens), so using manual focus may be a skill worth developing. After all, until a few years ago, we all did it all of the time.
jimbro e2
1 37 Scotland
18 Jan 2013 8:21PM
Been digging around on ebay and there are some older non-AF lenses with big focal lengths for not a lot of cash.
I'll mostly be shooting deer and other slow moving beasties.

Might be worth looking at them instead(must get eyepiece adjusted to compensate)
DerekL e2
9 115 24 England
18 Jan 2013 9:33PM
I have a Kenko Teleplus 300 1.4 extender and it performs well with my Canon EF500 F4 L.
I have never used 2x extenders, but they do seem to compromise on image quality.
Graysta e2
9 1.1k England
19 Jan 2013 8:02AM
I use the 2x Kenko with my D3 cameras and have to say I find it works well,
With the 70 - 200 f2,8 VR2 it restricts it to f5.6 but with my older push pull 80 -200 f2.8 which relies on the in camera focus motor it will hold f2.8 so giving me a 400mm F2.8 and the image quality is still great although the focus is not as fast.But it should allow auto focus to work on the D3100 so all the lenses compatible with your camera should be fine.
jimbro e2
1 37 Scotland
19 Jan 2013 10:05AM
Sounds like you are using fast lenses. Mine are stock lenses with a max aperture of around f4.5 and I'll lose 2 stops so I'll end up around f8
I may try an older MF lens and see how it goes. If it's not great, they're cheap so I won't lose much and I can always go for the Kenko later

It's either that or several hundred s on a faster lens
digicammad e2
11 22.0k 37 United Kingdom
19 Jan 2013 12:50PM
The Kenko convertor you specify is a good one and actually got better reviews than the Nikon one. However I'm not convinced you need more than 300mm to get the red deer. I suppose it depends where they are and how wild, but I have got close enough to use a 200mm in the rutting season (theirs not mine).

If you do go for the convertor make sure you use it on 2.8 lenses for best results.

Ian
digicammad e2
11 22.0k 37 United Kingdom
19 Jan 2013 12:52PM
Just to add to that, modern sensors are so good it is often better to crop than to use a TC to fill the frame.
User_Removed 5 4.6k 1 Scotland
19 Jan 2013 7:39PM

Quote:Just to add to that, modern sensors are so good it is often better to crop than to use a TC to fill the frame.

I'd agree with that.
jimbro e2
1 37 Scotland
20 Jan 2013 4:59PM
I think you guys have just saved me some money
With 14MP to play with, a 55-300mm Nikkor lens and PS Elements, cropping should be the way forward.

I think I could get a little closer as I noticed part of the road runs closer to where they congregate so I'll give it a go

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.