Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Kill It, Cook It, Eat It

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

col.campbell
10 Jan 2009 - 4:05 AM

Opinions, please from anyone who's watched this, or indeed if you haven't.

Personally I'd have no qualms about shooting and eating an animal. Cleaning and preparing the carcass might be a different matter; more difficult for me. Also, I think breaking the animal's neck or slitting its throat would also be difficult for me. That said, ask me again when I haven't eaten for a day or two...

I normally avoid 'reality' programmes like the plague but watching a couple of episodes of this series, I'm quite glad to see a genuine dose of reality - if you eat meat, this is where your food comes from. So having said that, and knowing that I could shoot an animal fairly easily, I feel a bit hypocritical.

Then again, I feel that some of the veggies and vegans who turned up and then started bawling, shouldn't have been allowed in in the first place. Alternatively, in the name of entertainment (and honesty) perhaps they should have been forced to go hungry for a day or two to see if their attitudes changed. For all my squeamish hypocrisy, I'm pretty confident I'd be killing any animal I could in whatever way it took in order to eat, once hungry.

As I said, opinions (and reasons) please...

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
10 Jan 2009 - 4:05 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

StrayCat
StrayCat  1014493 forum posts Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
10 Jan 2009 - 5:31 AM

Coincidentally, I just finished watching an episode of Survivorman. In my childhood days, and in my teens and early twenties, I was exposed to the realities of where my food came from, and the worst memory is the smell in the kitchen when my mother was skinning and cleaning wild rabbits that my father had snared. If you haven't smelled it, you're fortunate. By the same token, we enjoyed it immensely, even the brains. My father also shot a moose, caribou, and bear most autumns; this was hung in his sawmill behind our home. There were also sea birds, and lots of fresh fish, and it was common to see these being prepared in our home. But I can see it being a novelty for most people today. Some traditional dishes that would not be popular with today's folk that we ate are; Stewed Cod's heads, cod tongues and cheeks, moose and caribou liver and heart, calf's brains (from a can, no less). Blood Pudding was popular, but I never saw it made. The last time I had blood pudding was the dining room of the Metropole Hotel in Brighton, for breakfast...delicious.

One thing I have never seen or done myself, is the slaughtering of domestic animals for food.

All those things are in the past for me, and I feel no regrets. We still have meat and fish, but we buy it already prepared. As Strawman said yesterday; you civilised us.Wink

stevie
stevie e2 Member 101198 forum postsstevie vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
10 Jan 2009 - 6:28 AM

My Italian grandmother often killed and prepared chickens on the family farm where we stayed. First time I saw this, as a kid, was a bit of a shock (surely meat came from shops?) but you soon learn the way things are is the way things are.

accystan
accystan  9132 forum posts Canada6 Constructive Critique Points
10 Jan 2009 - 8:18 AM

As David Suziki once (aproximately) said, "We all end up on something's (or somebody's) menu". I guess if you're cremated that might not apply but I think it's largely correct. I personally have never had to slaughter the food I've eaten but I've ultimately come to believe that the true crime of our society is not the eating of meat but the cruel conditions in which we keep animals in order to satisfy our needs. In truth, our perceived needs.

One of the best books I've ever read on the subject of our (Western) food supply is "In Defense of Food". In a nutshell it examines the "efforts" Western society has put into food production, regulation, science, control, supply, marketing etc, etc, etc. only to end up with a civilisation that is over-fed, under-nourished and riddled with unique and uneccessary diseases.

Just my opinion....

Cheers,

Dave D

Last Modified By accystan at 10 Jan 2009 - 8:22 AM
conrad
conrad  1010874 forum posts116 Constructive Critique Points
10 Jan 2009 - 11:46 AM

Quote: perhaps they should have been forced to go hungry for a day or two to see if their attitudes changed. For all my squeamish hypocrisy, I'm pretty confident I'd be killing any animal I could in whatever way it took in order to eat, once hungry.

Haven't seen the programme, but I feel the same way. I eat meat. I would have no problems shooting an animal for meat, if I felt it was necessary. Other methods, more er... "up close and personal", might be difficult for me under normal circumstances, but if I'd gone hungry for a few days, that would probably change, I imagine.

Question is indeed if vegetarians/vegans would rather starve, or kill and eat. Can't judge that one myself, but it's an interesting question.

mark_delta
10 Jan 2009 - 11:53 AM

Quote: Question is indeed if vegetarians/vegans would rather starve, or kill and eat

Now that would be good TV !!!

joolsb
joolsb  927115 forum posts Switzerland38 Constructive Critique Points
10 Jan 2009 - 11:54 AM

There is an unhealthy obsession with meat in the West. I'm not a vegetarian but I am consciously trying to eat less meat - simply because a little goes a long way, nutritionally speaking.

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade  1014747 forum posts England216 Constructive Critique Points
10 Jan 2009 - 12:03 PM

I like meat

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014059 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
10 Jan 2009 - 12:07 PM

Quote: Question is indeed if vegetarians/vegans would rather starve, or kill and eat

I think I would rather starve than eat vegetables.

col.campbell
10 Jan 2009 - 12:08 PM

Yes Ade but the point is, where do you think you'd fare it came to hunting/ butchering your own food?

col.campbell
10 Jan 2009 - 12:10 PM

Quote: I think I would rather starve than eat vegetables.

lol a friend of mine was once asked if he would like salad on his burger. Horrified and outraged, he replied, 'that's not food, that's the stuff that food eats!'

Rende
Rende e2 Member 737 forum postsRende vcard Netherlands4 Constructive Critique Points
10 Jan 2009 - 12:16 PM

The question whether vegetarians/vegans would rather starve than kill and eat meat is totally beside the point as long as there is more food to be had on a diet with no meat, than on a meat diet. The way meat is produced these days wastes at least 75% of available food and water.
Living in the wilderness and hunting your own food is a different matter, but who does that these days Wink
Rende

SuziBlue
SuziBlue  1116195 forum posts Scotland10 Constructive Critique Points
10 Jan 2009 - 12:21 PM

Quote: I would rather starve than eat vegetables.

That's sorted then - I'll eat them Smile Ta very much. Grin

I honestly don't know what I'd do if I was literally starving to death and had nothing else. It's like the question "would you be capable of killing another human being" - I've never been in the military and I honestly don't know until I'm in the position of having to fight for my life if I'd be able to take someone else's life.

[edit] rende - exactly. In the wild it's perfectly possible to survive without killing animals - depending on where the wild is of course.In the UK it's perfectly possible. In Iceland - nope - as far as I know, anyway.

Last Modified By SuziBlue at 10 Jan 2009 - 12:23 PM
lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014059 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
10 Jan 2009 - 12:25 PM

Quote: "would you be capable of killing another human being"

Depends if it is Noel Edmonds or not.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139392 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
10 Jan 2009 - 12:31 PM

There are cultures where killing and eating cats and dogs is unremarkable, but I suspect British and other Western sensibilities might be offended at the thought of chopping up Rover and Tiddles for Sunday lunch! Wink

We are a bit selective about the animals we are prepared to eat.

Last Modified By Carabosse at 10 Jan 2009 - 12:32 PM

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.