Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Killer Whale ......

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
kombizz
kombizz  9591 forum posts United States1 Constructive Critique Points
25 Feb 2010 - 9:03 AM

I read the news of a killer whale killed her trainer during a public performance at the SeaWorld amusement park in Florida.
You can read more detail of this news here.
My question to you is why few people prison a wild beast in a tank for entertainment? while it could be dangerous to human being.
In this case 'you' can not kill the beast rather than protect it from extinction?

Last Modified By kombizz at 25 Feb 2010 - 9:04 AM
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
25 Feb 2010 - 9:03 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Metalhead
Metalhead  61866 forum posts England2 Constructive Critique Points
25 Feb 2010 - 9:28 AM

It was only a matter of time before something like this happened. As you say, killer whales aren't meant to live in water tanks and be used for our entertainment.

Sad that the trainer has been killed, but even after training maybe the whale saw the human in a wetsuit like a seal pup and went in for the kill? That is their natural instinct after all...

Miles Herbert
25 Feb 2010 - 9:51 AM

Quote: It was only a matter of time before something like this happened

It has happened before, several times, and in fact this particular whale has already killed one previous trainer at a different centre.

I guess that like us they have off days ...

mcgannc
mcgannc  5389 forum posts England3 Constructive Critique Points
25 Feb 2010 - 10:13 AM

The phrase "If you play with fire..." springs to mind!

Coleslaw
Coleslaw e2 Member 913403 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
25 Feb 2010 - 10:56 AM

If animals are banned to be used in circus, why are they still used in park like that?
Or is that only in the UK?

ventile
ventile  7152 forum posts Wales
25 Feb 2010 - 11:27 AM

Why do people never learn???
Its all in the name "killer whale" its a predator!Their born to hunt like all the other predators!
Would you go in that tank if there was a Great White Shark in there!No course you would'nt.
I'm very sorry for the lady,family and friends,but we need to learn!

wireman
wireman  852 forum posts United Kingdom
25 Feb 2010 - 12:56 PM

'It's OK he won't bite you'. How often have you heard that, when someone's dog runs towards you across a park etc.?

It is exactly the same situation - humans have taken a wild animal and tamed it.
Unfortunately sometimes it goes wrong or the taming is forgotten by the animal or some person does something unexpected.

If we are going to ban humans from keeping one other species, we should ban them from keeping any other species.

Ahhh! just think - a dog free world.
David

ps I have now gone into hiding.

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014128 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
25 Feb 2010 - 1:24 PM

Quote: If animals are banned to be used in circus

Are they? When did that happen? I thought they were still allowed?

Last Modified By lobsterboy at 25 Feb 2010 - 1:24 PM
lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014128 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
25 Feb 2010 - 1:26 PM

Quote: If we are going to ban humans from keeping one other species, we should ban them from keeping any other species.

Gonna make farming difficult. Not to great for blind people either... or the deaf... or the police...or search and rescue teams...

Gaucho
Gaucho e2 Member 122238 forum postsGaucho vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
25 Feb 2010 - 1:46 PM

...or me...Sad

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139395 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
25 Feb 2010 - 1:52 PM

This particular killer whale had been involved in the killing of humans twice before and was considered dangerous, even by killer whale standards.

Very sad - but there was a sort of inevitability about it.......

Overread
Overread  63746 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
25 Feb 2010 - 3:45 PM

The thing is some animals - like dogs - can't effectivly kill a grown and healthy adult without intending to, if they fight and intend to cause serious harm there is normally a very good reason for this.

However animals that are simply far stronger than us are capable of killing by accident - consider lions, tigers, bears and even whales are many times out strength and an action to them that might be considered light (eg a tiger batting its paw at another) is capable of killing or seriously injuring a human.

I suspect this could be the cause of events like this more than the animal having a "nasty streek" the animal is doing something for a reason and the result is probably not quite what they intend. Restrictions on an animal who has killed - by intent or accident - are there for protection in both a physical and legal application. I recall a tiger who was kept in a zoo who killed his keeper with a single paw swipe - after that the cat was kept in isolation from human contact even though he showed no overt hostility toward people (and keepers who worked with the cat before still considered the animal safe/friendly).
However no zoo manager in their right mind would let someone work with an animal with history since it leaves them open to far to much legal threat and also their own job security.

Overread
Overread  63746 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
25 Feb 2010 - 4:03 PM

ps its not a killer whale its an orca whale Tongue

Media only use killer whale when its in the context of killing - orca gets used when they have something nice to say Wink

mohikan22
mohikan22  102187 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
25 Feb 2010 - 4:17 PM

aye i agree.
Tis a wild animal and should of been left there. Orcas are beautiful animals and deserve better than a damned swimming pool!

49er
49er  8564 forum posts
25 Feb 2010 - 5:54 PM

It is also a dolphin not a whale...(but killer dolphin does not sound right for headline writers).
Killer Whale came from Whalers who saw orcas rip the tongues out of other whales and only eating that part. Whalers thought they were bad !!! How ironic that was...
There has not been a recorded incident of a human being killed by an orca in the wild...

IMO.. It should not be captive.. I surpose they will want to put it down..'As it might kill babies next' !!

Last Modified By 49er at 25 Feb 2010 - 5:55 PM

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.