Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Kindle DX

csurry
12 9.2k 92
8 Jan 2010 12:54PM
Anyone know much about these?

Mainly curious as to whether all books available in the US are available in the UK. It is not entirely clear from the amazon website.

Thinking of this as a business investment. I generally need a few reference books when on site (have checked and many are available on US site). This would enable me to have most with me without filling half the boot and weighing down the laptop bag.

Any thoughts?

The smaller version is not recommended for many of the technical books in case people are wondering why not the original version.

Thanks

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

andytvcams 12 10.4k United Kingdom
8 Jan 2010 1:06PM
Books come from the states as i understand it.
I'm waiting until April for the apple islate.
Big Bri 13 15.6k United Kingdom
8 Jan 2010 2:22PM
Did you see the new HP slate PC running Kindle on Windows 7 ?
(not out yet)
8 Jan 2010 2:22PM
Lots of interesting stuff coming out of CES this year
8 Jan 2010 2:31PM

Quote:Did you see the new HP slate PC running Kindle on Windows 7 ?
(not out yet)

I did and i was disappointed with it.
And judging by the reception Steve Ballmer got it did not blow the audience away.
8 Jan 2010 2:42PM
Perhaps we should just stick an Apple logo on it.....

Tongue
LensYews 5 1.3k 1 United Kingdom
8 Jan 2010 2:47PM
The kindle has just been released through Amazon.co.uk as well, but the store is US based and has mainly US titles.

Depending on the reference books you are thinking about, it might be worth waiting for one of the ebook readers on display at CES at the moment. There is one that opens like a book, with an ebook reader screen on the left 'page' adn essentially a table computer on the right 'page'. The demo video showed references from books being opened as videos, webpages, etc. and that will load PDFs, so in theory not be limited to one company's store.
8 Jan 2010 4:24PM

Quote:Perhaps we should just stick an Apple logo on it.....

Also going to have a look at the HTC book running Android.
rowarrior 6 4.4k 9 Scotland
8 Jan 2010 7:00PM
Try looking round here for info. Saw it recommended on another forum where someone in Aus was asking about Kindles, I believe it's worldwide
csurry
12 9.2k 92
8 Jan 2010 7:07PM
This is the bit in the blurb that concerns me a little

Quote:Over 320,000 English-language books to choose from; plus U.S. and international newspapers and magazines are available for your country. Because publishers give us eBook rights on a country by country basis, available titles for your country will vary from our current U.S selection.

So it appears that even tough books may be available, they may not be so in the UK.

Will hold fire and see what others arrive in the next few months, for now it means luggingbooks around still.

Thanks for the links.
Boyd 11 11.2k 11 Wales
8 Jan 2010 7:09PM
I don't think a Kindle would really be suitable for you anyway Cheryl. You can't stand on a Kindle to reach the top of your tripod whereas with a bunch of books...
csurry
12 9.2k 92
8 Jan 2010 7:11PM
Boyd and to think I said it was nice to have you back on the site - how wrong was I? Tongue
Boyd 11 11.2k 11 Wales
8 Jan 2010 7:13PM
Very.
Smile
dougv e2
10 8.4k 3 England
8 Jan 2010 7:14PM

Quote:Be polite, respectful and helpful.

Smile

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.