Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Kindle Fire - anyone got one?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Big Bri
Big Bri  1315544 forum posts England
19 Sep 2012 - 10:03 AM

My wife finally expressed an interest in the Kindle, so she is using mine at the moment to see how she likes it. The plan was to buy her one for her birthday if she does. Now the Kindle Fire is out, I am wondering whether to get one of those instead... It seems like there are advantages (it's basically an Android tablet, it's got a backlit screen), but I don't know how well it would read outside in the sunlight.

I already have a tablet, but it is much heavier and larger than my Kindle, and I like being able to stick the Kindle in a pocket (and only charge it once a month).

And then, to cap it all, I go on the US site and discover the Kindle Paperwhite, which is still e-ink, but is higher resolution, higher contrast, touch screen and the screen lights up!! Cool. Except it's not available in the UK yet Sad

So, does anyone have a Kindle Fire, and how are you finding it? How does it compare to the "normal" Kindle? (I have the 3G/wifi keyboard one).
Is it worth holding off for the Paperwhite, or trying to import one? Or should I just buy one of each Smile

(confused)

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
19 Sep 2012 - 10:03 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

keithh
keithh  1022725 forum posts Wallis and Futuna29 Constructive Critique Points
19 Sep 2012 - 10:08 AM

I'd say one of each.

i have the same Kindle as you and have pre-ordered a Kindle HD Fire but I reckon the backlit screen will not make it as good for reading as the Kindle. Hold out for the Paperwhite.

Ewanneil
Ewanneil  41118 forum posts Scotland2 Constructive Critique Points
19 Sep 2012 - 10:11 AM

Quote: My wife finally expressed an interest in the Kindle, so she is using mine at the moment to see how she likes it. The plan was to buy her one for her birthday if she does. Now the Kindle Fire is out, I am wondering whether to get one of those instead... It seems like there are advantages (it's basically an Android tablet, it's got a backlit screen), but I don't know how well it would read outside in the sunlight.

I already have a tablet, but it is much heavier and larger than my Kindle, and I like being able to stick the Kindle in a pocket (and only charge it once a month).

And then, to cap it all, I go on the US site and discover the Kindle Paperwhite, which is still e-ink, but is higher resolution, higher contrast, touch screen and the screen lights up!! Cool. Except it's not available in the UK yet Sad

So, does anyone have a Kindle Fire, and how are you finding it? How does it compare to the "normal" Kindle? (I have the 3G/wifi keyboard one).
Is it worth holding off for the Paperwhite, or trying to import one? Or should I just buy one of each Smile

(confused)

I'm having exactly the same thoughts as you and curiously also because my wife started to use my Kindle. I'm also not sure whether to take the plunge so will watch this thread with interest. Just to make matters worse, of course, there is also the Kindle Fire HD to consider.

miptog
miptog  83532 forum posts United Kingdom61 Constructive Critique Points
19 Sep 2012 - 10:23 AM

Overview of the Kindle familiy

Big Bri
19 Sep 2012 - 10:25 AM

In the US there is also a larger 8.9" version of the Fire...

Big Bri
19 Sep 2012 - 10:34 AM

I'd read reviews and comparisons thanks, I was asking if anyone here actually has one.

mohikan22
mohikan22  102185 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
19 Sep 2012 - 10:58 AM

nope. ive no need for a "tablet" version. im happy with the kindle touch as my htc does everything else i need lol. But its does look inviting for those interested.

keithh
keithh  1022725 forum posts Wallis and Futuna29 Constructive Critique Points
19 Sep 2012 - 10:58 AM

Maybe need to wait until the USA members get online, Bri.

KenTaylor
KenTaylor e2 Member 92971 forum postsKenTaylor vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
19 Sep 2012 - 3:21 PM

Quote: Maybe need to wait until the USA members get online

Using their Kindle Fire of course Smile

I pre ordered the Kindle Fire HD for UK. Any imported ones appear to have connection issues

Big Bri
19 Sep 2012 - 3:42 PM

Quote: Any imported ones appear to have connection issues

Where did you hear that from? I would imagine the connections are identical...

daviewat
daviewat  104104 forum posts Scotland
19 Sep 2012 - 3:45 PM

My mate has one, he was in USA last month. I would not bother to be honest just a tablet really, reading the screen is no better than my i-pad which is atrocious in all but perfect dull overcast conditions. Also as is normal he has filled up with so many apps that books s eem to get a second place spot on it !!!!!!!!!! after all all any tablet android or otherwise can be an e-reader ?? :-( My Kindle goes everywhere with me and i have bought a clip on LED light which may not be perfect but allows me to read it in the dark and strangely improves reading in bright sunshine as well !!!!!!!!!!

Its also pleasing to have an item that does exactly what it is meant to do without all other sorts of distractions etc Smile

Last Modified By daviewat at 19 Sep 2012 - 3:48 PM
KenTaylor
KenTaylor e2 Member 92971 forum postsKenTaylor vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
19 Sep 2012 - 5:44 PM

Quote: Where did you hear that from? I would imagine the connections are identical...

I should have said internet connections that of course will depend on the router settings. I for one cant be doing with any hassle on those lines. Its what I read on various sites while I see that the one Davie refers too doesn't seem to have that problem. That begs the question as to why they are shipping a UK version ?

Quote: just a tablet really,

An e-reader is different in that the display is for clear text and graphics in monochrome purely for reading books and magazines.

Big Bri
19 Sep 2012 - 6:56 PM

No, the Kindle Fire doesn't use e-ink, it uses a standard type backlit display. That's why I want to find out from someone who has one how good it is.

KenTaylor
19 Sep 2012 - 8:32 PM

Looks like you will have to wait until late Oct when its shipped out Bri

Big Bri
19 Sep 2012 - 9:15 PM

Wondering if I should buy a Paperwhite from the US and have a colleague send it over...

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.