Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Kindle Fire - anyone got one?

Rev2 4 238 2 United Kingdom
19 Sep 2012 9:18PM
You know you really want an iPad, why this facade? Oh, I see, It's cheap.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Big Bri 13 15.7k United Kingdom
19 Sep 2012 9:27PM
LOL. I really don't want an iPad. I already have an Android tablet - this is for the Mrs Smile
strawman 11 22.0k 16 United Kingdom
20 Sep 2012 10:31AM
Bri I am in the states now, the Kindle fire is pretty well a standard looking Android screen, the Nexus screens looks that bit more detailed and sharper. both look to be same price. Only had a quick look in the shop but will get more time later but I do not think the screens will be great in sunlight. I was going to look at the paper white and it looks like and there is an even lower price standard kindle $69 US, 69 UK.

My initial thought was to just get the basic Kindle and treat it as a low cost very portable book reader you do not have to charge often and like you I have an Android tablet for round the house. I am not convinced the fire display is good for out and about use. And I was thinking the Nexus looks to be that bit better than the fire.

Not an owner though :-(
20 Sep 2012 7:12PM
Cheers John. I love my current Kindle, already got an android tablet, so steering towards the paperwhite.... don't suppose you fancy bringing me one back ? Wink Wink
StrayCat e2
10 15.5k 2 Canada
20 Sep 2012 7:56PM
Have a look at an alternative.
22 Sep 2012 2:24PM
Hi Bri could not find any paperwhite versions in store to look at, just offering to let you pre-order. Denny thinking about that one myself.

There looks to be a few fires and fire HD's around. I would say after a play that for watching films etc the Fire looks good, but they have mucked around with the android interface and I would rather have the V4 interface the google nexus has, so I would go for the nexus over the fire as a tablet device. But for book reading the Kindle/Kobo look better.
22 Sep 2012 2:50PM
I checked out the Kobo ones - they also seem to have one with a whiter screen and a light, but not available in the UK yet... Sad
KenTaylor e2
10 3.0k 2 United Kingdom
22 Sep 2012 6:23PM
Dont you just love this pre order game Smile

The small differences are not important to me while I am happy to leave the Fire HD on order and wait.
StrayCat e2
10 15.5k 2 Canada
22 Sep 2012 8:23PM
I think a book reader with a light is the way forward for me, so far I have purchased 6 ereaders, and used them all, but still prefer my simple Sony Pocketbook, reader only with no bells or whistles. I would like to have a light, not one of the covers with a light, they're a waste of time, had one, didn't use it; but the Kobo Glo, or the Nook would be my choice. I'd also like a built-in dictionary, which I've had in my other readers, and used off and on. I still have no desire to be able to access the internet, it would distract from my reading; there's a time and place for everything.Wink
SueEley 8 271 96 Wales
22 Sep 2012 8:30PM
I think there are problems if you buy in America for use here. The paperwhite does sound good. Tried to use an ipad in the garden this pm and couldn't see a thing, though my kindle was fine. Hold out for the e-reader!
27 Sep 2012 12:36PM
Just checked the Kobo reader I have works fine in both US and UK. It picks up the respective stores OK in each country. also it looks to be compatible with Google books bought through the google play store as well.

there are rumours of a $99 nexus to come....
27 Sep 2012 2:00PM
What format does the Kobo use? Are they tied in to a particular retailer?
keithh e2
11 23.4k 33 Wallis And Futuna
27 Sep 2012 3:24PM
daviewat 11 4.1k Scotland
27 Sep 2012 3:34PM
Yes Calibre will do it. I have a DVD with over 5000 titles for kindle but t hey can be used on other formats via Calibre Smile
27 Sep 2012 3:49PM
Thanks, I know all about calibre. However, with my Kindle, I can browse and purchase books pretty instantly, and I do it quite often. I was just wondering what the alternative to Amazon was if I bought a Kobo.

And if I did buy the Mrs a Kobo and I keep my Kindle, presumably I have to convert the files if I want to pass on a book to her. (or swap devices) Smile

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.