Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Kindle Fire - anyone got one?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
Rev2
Rev2  4200 forum posts United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
19 Sep 2012 - 9:18 PM

You know you really want an iPad, why this facade? Oh, I see, It's cheap.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
19 Sep 2012 - 9:18 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Big Bri
Big Bri  1215508 forum posts England
19 Sep 2012 - 9:27 PM

LOL. I really don't want an iPad. I already have an Android tablet - this is for the Mrs Smile

strawman
strawman  1021991 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
20 Sep 2012 - 10:31 AM

Bri I am in the states now, the Kindle fire is pretty well a standard looking Android screen, the Nexus screens looks that bit more detailed and sharper. both look to be same price. Only had a quick look in the shop but will get more time later but I do not think the screens will be great in sunlight. I was going to look at the paper white and it looks like and there is an even lower price standard kindle $69 US, 69 UK.

My initial thought was to just get the basic Kindle and treat it as a low cost very portable book reader you do not have to charge often and like you I have an Android tablet for round the house. I am not convinced the fire display is good for out and about use. And I was thinking the Nexus looks to be that bit better than the fire.

Not an owner though :-(

Big Bri
20 Sep 2012 - 7:12 PM

Cheers John. I love my current Kindle, already got an android tablet, so steering towards the paperwhite.... don't suppose you fancy bringing me one back ? Wink Wink

StrayCat
StrayCat  1014207 forum posts Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
20 Sep 2012 - 7:56 PM

Have a look at an alternative.

Last Modified By StrayCat at 20 Sep 2012 - 7:56 PM
strawman
22 Sep 2012 - 2:24 PM

Hi Bri could not find any paperwhite versions in store to look at, just offering to let you pre-order. Denny thinking about that one myself.

There looks to be a few fires and fire HD's around. I would say after a play that for watching films etc the Fire looks good, but they have mucked around with the android interface and I would rather have the V4 interface the google nexus has, so I would go for the nexus over the fire as a tablet device. But for book reading the Kindle/Kobo look better.

Big Bri
22 Sep 2012 - 2:50 PM

I checked out the Kobo ones - they also seem to have one with a whiter screen and a light, but not available in the UK yet... Sad

KenTaylor
KenTaylor e2 Member 92967 forum postsKenTaylor vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
22 Sep 2012 - 6:23 PM

Dont you just love this pre order game Smile

The small differences are not important to me while I am happy to leave the Fire HD on order and wait.

StrayCat
StrayCat  1014207 forum posts Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
22 Sep 2012 - 8:23 PM

I think a book reader with a light is the way forward for me, so far I have purchased 6 ereaders, and used them all, but still prefer my simple Sony Pocketbook, reader only with no bells or whistles. I would like to have a light, not one of the covers with a light, they're a waste of time, had one, didn't use it; but the Kobo Glo, or the Nook would be my choice. I'd also like a built-in dictionary, which I've had in my other readers, and used off and on. I still have no desire to be able to access the internet, it would distract from my reading; there's a time and place for everything.Wink

SueEley
SueEley e2 Member 7271 forum postsSueEley vcard Wales96 Constructive Critique Points
22 Sep 2012 - 8:30 PM

I think there are problems if you buy in America for use here. The paperwhite does sound good. Tried to use an ipad in the garden this pm and couldn't see a thing, though my kindle was fine. Hold out for the e-reader!

strawman
27 Sep 2012 - 12:36 PM

Just checked the Kobo reader I have works fine in both US and UK. It picks up the respective stores OK in each country. also it looks to be compatible with Google books bought through the google play store as well.

there are rumours of a $99 nexus to come....

Big Bri
27 Sep 2012 - 2:00 PM

What format does the Kobo use? Are they tied in to a particular retailer?

keithh
keithh  1022557 forum posts Wallis and Futuna29 Constructive Critique Points
27 Sep 2012 - 3:24 PM

Kobo Book Store, I think.Calibre will convert to most e-book formats if you can get the file onto your PC (or MAC)

daviewat
daviewat  104103 forum posts Scotland
27 Sep 2012 - 3:34 PM

Yes Calibre will do it. I have a DVD with over 5000 titles for kindle but t hey can be used on other formats via Calibre Smile

Big Bri
27 Sep 2012 - 3:49 PM

Thanks, I know all about calibre. However, with my Kindle, I can browse and purchase books pretty instantly, and I do it quite often. I was just wondering what the alternative to Amazon was if I bought a Kobo.

And if I did buy the Mrs a Kobo and I keep my Kindle, presumably I have to convert the files if I want to pass on a book to her. (or swap devices) Smile

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.