Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Kindle Fire - anyone got one?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

strawman
strawman  1022006 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
27 Sep 2012 - 4:04 PM

Hi Bri

You can buy from Kobo directly for it from its store function. I think WHSMITHs can also be used directly for it (not tried that) and I have moved a few Kindle books across to it and was going to try some books bought through Google play on it. Calibre does work on it and I used it for the kindle books. From its web site it says it supports

Books: EPUB, PDF and MOBI
Documents: PDF
Text: TXT, HTML and RTF
Comic Books: CBZ and CBR

It also has a memory card slot should you want to add even more books.

From what I can make out its direct purchase on the device books can only be through the Kobo store, but on the PC it can synch directly with the rest. I have not played with all that yet.

Last Modified By strawman at 27 Sep 2012 - 4:12 PM
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
27 Sep 2012 - 4:04 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

daviewat
daviewat  104104 forum posts Scotland
27 Sep 2012 - 4:56 PM

Wilma has a Kobo and she wanted lots of books i have on my kindle. It was simple really just drag from kindle files to an SD CARD convert using Calibre and drop them into kobo files when both machines hooked up via usb to same PC It works Smile She also buys a lot of books direct from the kobo site and WHSmiths as well all on line same as kindle with Amazon.

Last Modified By daviewat at 27 Sep 2012 - 4:58 PM
Big Bri
Big Bri  1315557 forum posts England
27 Sep 2012 - 6:11 PM

thanks guys Smile

mikehit
mikehit  56298 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
11 Oct 2012 - 10:07 PM

Apparently paperwhite is being launched in UK 25th October

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-19907546

strawman
strawman  1022006 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
11 Oct 2012 - 10:17 PM

Oh another advantage of the Kobo it does work with UK libraries you just use Adobe Digital Editions to add the borrowed books

Big Bri
11 Oct 2012 - 10:55 PM

Quote: Apparently paperwhite is being launched in UK 25th October

Thanks!! My wife and I are now fighting over the Kindle and it was going to come to a head when we go on holiday on the 27th Smile

Big Bri
11 Oct 2012 - 10:59 PM

Just ordered one Smile

monstersnowman
11 Oct 2012 - 11:43 PM

Paperwhites are released via amazon uk on 25/10 for 109 free delivery

Big Bri
12 Oct 2012 - 12:02 AM

Unless you want it the day it comes out, and are prepared to spend sick squid on postage Smile

Overread
Overread  63746 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
12 Oct 2012 - 12:31 AM

Quote: reader only with no bells or whistles

IS what I would get for reading. Honestly I think that once you start adding email and movies and all the rest to an e-reader you end up with the problem that you introduce so many easily accessed distractions that you can't just wind down and read. You end up wanting to check emails or surf the net etc......

Though there are a few things the kindles could do better (MP3 playing for example) I think that as a standard reader they are ideal options.

The new Paperwhite edition sounds great with the backlight whilst retaining the same battery duration of around 8 weeks on one charge. Most of the time its not too hard to read from since if you can read a book you can read a kindle, but in low light I can see it making things much more relaxing than straining your eyes to see the text.

The only downsides of the paperwhite I can see are:
1) No keyboard - it does not get a whole lot of use, but its handy to have for making notes or searching. You could do without it, but I'd expect using the store features or leaving notes would be a pain

2) only 2GB internal memory as opposed to 4GB in the larger keyboard version of the regular Kindle. A bit of a moot point for some as the white still stores up to 1000 books (which is honestly a lot of books) but more space is always nice to have esp as things like graphic novels are becoming more popular on e-readers (and images always end up taking up more space than text).

Ps I've yet to really work out the value of tablets in general. They do allow net connection and browsing, but most of that is fairly tame and you can't really post on forums or such without a keyboard. They also don't do much as a computer and honestly one of those mini-mac computers would be far superior.
They can play music, but are far bigger than any mp3 player; they can do books yes (without the 3ink sadly so its not the same); they can play films = actually I'll give them that they are half good at playing films save that you've got to hold the screen the whole time (no stand like on a portable DVD player).

Soooo the apps seem neat; save that most are either replacements for real world things or generally just "silly fun" apps to fill time.

StrayCat
StrayCat e2 Member 1014646 forum postsStrayCat vcard Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
12 Oct 2012 - 3:45 AM

Agree with the above whole heartedly, from lots of experience. A reader for reading, and get something else for the rest.

Denny

Scutter
Scutter e2 Member 61742 forum postsScutter vcard United Kingdom6 Constructive Critique Points
12 Oct 2012 - 8:57 AM

Agree with Overread & Denny. Too many distractions with a tablet - although I have to confess that for some time I "wanted" one! But I don't "need" one as I use a laptop for everything but reading i.e. surfing web, editing photos, oh and work of course!

I was deeply sceptical about a Kindle until I was given one for Christmas last year but I have read more books since getting it than I have in the past five years put together. I love it! And I can't see that I "need" a paperwhite, although I "want" one at the moment but I'm sure that feeling will wear off! Smile

whipspeed
whipspeed e2 Member 104040 forum postswhipspeed vcard United Kingdom22 Constructive Critique Points
12 Oct 2012 - 9:05 AM

Same as you Scutter, I've had my kindle for 2 years now and it goes everywhere with me, always in my handbag if I go out anywhere & carried from room to room round the house, I've got about 150 books on it at the moment. I am looking at the new Paperwhite now and really "want" one, although like you I probably don't "need" one. The only disappointment is that the memory is alot lower, but it still holds 1100 books & if I've only put on 150 in 2 years, it should last.

I assume you can just transfer the content from one to another, that is the only question I couldn't find the answer too, but think you must be able to though, anyone done that?

mikehit
mikehit  56298 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
12 Oct 2012 - 9:14 AM

I have bought 2 kindles for me an my wife. Both of them are in my account name and I can access books from my 'library' on both machines, so if you bought a paperwhite I would be surprised if you could not do the same.

whipspeed
whipspeed e2 Member 104040 forum postswhipspeed vcard United Kingdom22 Constructive Critique Points
12 Oct 2012 - 9:20 AM

Thanks Mike, I thought that must be the case, I think I might "need" one after all Smile

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.