Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Kindle Fire - anyone got one?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Big Bri
Big Bri  1315548 forum posts England
12 Oct 2012 - 12:01 PM

My wife was sceptical about the Kindle too, and as an ex-librarian has a fondness for books, but after lending mine to her to see if she wants one, I haven't really seen it since Smile

When the Paperwhite arrives, there will be an argument over who uses which, I expect....

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
12 Oct 2012 - 12:01 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

mikehit
mikehit  46188 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
12 Oct 2012 - 1:02 PM

Ok, the betting starts here....Tongue

whipspeed
whipspeed e2 Member 104039 forum postswhipspeed vcard United Kingdom22 Constructive Critique Points
12 Oct 2012 - 1:10 PM

I've had people say that as well Brian, that they are just not the same as reading a book. After sitting with one for a few minutes most usually change their minds. Smile I don't think they can replace, say for instance, photography books, as you want to see the image in print at a large size, but for normal reading they are great. I have so much space on my bookshelves now. I recently took car boot loads down to the local British Heart Foundation shop.

strawman
strawman  1022003 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
12 Oct 2012 - 1:17 PM

I tried reading books on a tablet, and it did not work for me, I think its the screen glare and lighting. I do like the tablet and its a good web browser etc, but for long term reading it did not work for me. I have to admit the eink screens are better for looking at, and as I have recently had to get used to reading glasses I find the e-ink screen good as you can size up the font to not need the glasses.

my one concern with the glow screen is would it give a similar eye strain to the back lit LCD screens, but I have not seen one so its more a question than a negative. But I have to say with libraries getting in to support ebooks and the prices coming down I think they make a lot of sense.

whipspeed
whipspeed e2 Member 104039 forum postswhipspeed vcard United Kingdom22 Constructive Critique Points
12 Oct 2012 - 1:31 PM

Oh dear, couldn't resist and have just ordered the new paperwhite.

Bri, we will have to compare what we think of them when they arrive.

Big Bri
12 Oct 2012 - 1:34 PM

Smile

I think Mike's betting I'll end up with the old one....

whipspeed
12 Oct 2012 - 2:23 PM

I think he's probably right Smile

Big Bri
12 Oct 2012 - 2:41 PM

I know he's right Smile

I might buy myself one as well

whipspeed
12 Oct 2012 - 3:20 PM

Probably best if you do, it will save arguments in the long run Smile

Overread
Overread  63746 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
12 Oct 2012 - 4:45 PM

Quote:
I assume you can just transfer the content from one to another, that is the only question I couldn't find the answer too, but think you must be able to though, anyone done that?

Just to expand on the answer given before to this - the books you purchase from Amazon are never tied to your Kindle, they are always tied to your Amazon account. As such you can always access your books on any new tablets, kindles, phone apps, computers provided that they will link up with Amazon.

I'm aware that there is a limit as to how many devices can locally store a copy of a book you have (I forget the number however), but otherwise you can easily run a couple of systems with local storing of books without any problems at all.

Oh course any books/text/documents you've added to the kindle from outside of Amazon will have to be transferred manually yourself. When I do this I use Calibre which is free, easy to use and auto detects connected kindles so you can easily use it to upload content Smile

Last Modified By Overread at 12 Oct 2012 - 4:46 PM
whipspeed
12 Oct 2012 - 5:19 PM

Thank you.

whipspeed
25 Oct 2012 - 2:38 PM

Well, the new paperwhite arrived this morning. Looks good & books are all downloading from my account as I type. So far I'm liking the touch screen and the screen light looks good.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139392 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
25 Oct 2012 - 2:53 PM

Quote: the screen light looks good.

Does it have to be all the time? If not, how does the screen look with the light off?

whipspeed
25 Oct 2012 - 3:00 PM

The screen looks the same as the original kindle with the light off, it can be set to different levels as well, with a sliding scale on the screen
text seems slightly crisper.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139392 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
25 Oct 2012 - 3:22 PM

Quote: The screen looks the same as the original kindle with the light off

Thanks. I won't bother 'upgrading', then. Smile

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.